• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Deep Day Tree Ski

PwdrHnd73

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hi all!
Would love to get the communities input on a solid pick for a tree ski for deep power days.
I’m really after easier pivoting, playful skis. I own both the Fisher Ranger 115FR and Nordica Enforcer 110’s. Both perform great for me in open bowls. But….I would like to find something a bit more forgiving.
I’m considering the following
Line Outline or SFB
K2 Reckoner 112
Atomic BC 120, 110 or Backland 117
Amada ARV 116 JJ or 106
I’m open to suggestions on any other ski.

About Me: 5’8ish 165lb Advanced Skier
Boots: Techica Cochise 120 and Mach 1 130
Home Mtn: Mt. Bachelor
Other skis in my quiver:
Nordica Soul Rider 97 177cm
Fischer Ranger 102 177cm
Many others collecting dust

Last edited:
TS
PwdrHnd73

PwdrHnd73

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I'm almost the exact same stats as you, my go to is the Rossi Soul 7 for the trees. You could also consider the new Sender 110, which seems to be an upgraded replacement for that.
Thanks! Lots of Soul 7’s floating around Bachelor. Always have an eye out for a used pair in good condition. I like the sender, they do seem a bit on the heavier side. Thanks Magikarp!

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
Comparing the Ranger 115FR, mine were 188s, to a more easy going powder ski I would suggest the looking at the Elan Ripstick 116. Very forgiving easy pivoting ski which is surprisingly good a groomers. I have it in 184. I also have a pair of the previous version of the Billy Goats, 184 asymmetrical. The Billy Goat is a much burlier ski than the Ripsticks, but turns very well and is definitely better in blasting through unconsolidated snow. Both skis are "easier" than the 115FRs.

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
The Dynastar M-Free 99 is a very surfy tree ski and still does well on softer groomers. I'm considering adding the M-Free 108 to my quiver for deeper days.

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
My Moment Deathwish 112s are the best tree skis I have owned. I am on my second resort version, and I also own the tour.

I have owned Rustler 11s and ON3P Billygoats...and they are good tree skis as well (Billygoat is an outstanding coastal snow ski. Rustler is a great all rounder), but I prefer the Deathwish in tighter spaces. It pivots and slarves really well and holds an edge when needed. I also prefer the deathwish to the blank (which I have only demoed), but I think the blank is a bit more plush in the open and easier to make smaller radius carves.

I also briefly owned the wailer 112s (first gen hybrid), but didn't really get along with them.

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
The Dynastar M-Free 99 is a very surfy tree ski and still does well on softer groomers. I'm considering adding the M-Free 108 to my quiver for deeper days.

The 192 108 M-free is the best ski for soft but not deep snow I’ve ever used. It has to be pretty deep before I wish I had something ~115 +.

It’s also pretty decent at crushing crud for how maneuverable it is if you can keep your ankles engaged.

If you’re looking for a very deep snow tree ski the Billy Goat is the best I’ve used, but I haven’t tried that many powder skis.

salvatore

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I just spent two days demoing the Moment Wildcat 108 and I think I am going to pick a pair up specifically because of how maneuverable (and fun!) they are. They definitely made me better, and more confident, in the trees.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I skied a narrower Atomic Backland on a powder day in Big Sky, 107ish I think, They were light and maneuverable.

I have the Head Kore 105 which is actually 107 and I went up to a 189cm because I wanted support up front in light powder. I find they work really well in all kinds of snow. They are very light, a little stiff and somewhat, but not super, playful. I'd like to try the 99's - I think I would like 'em.

I don't feel comfortable with really wide skis strapped on so I stick with under 110.

I skied deep trees for days in Whitefish on Soul 7's and they were also easy to get around. That loose, floppy, rockered tip thing works well in powder.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I think Kästle's ZX100 might be super fun in trees but I guess maybe I should say the 108 for a "deep day" ski. I am trying to keep my quiver where it is, don't need more, but I keep thinking that 100 would be such a fun ski for soft days in trees and other playful times. Obviously I still love my SR95, and it does just fine in trees, but it's a little more on the serious side than the ZX, not as smeary.

Sponsor

Staff online