• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Deep Day Tree Ski

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Been having a great season on my Volkl Blaze 106. Worked really well in the steeps, bumps and trees for soft snow.
Run them a bit longer than usual. Very maneuverable in tight spaces & bumps.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
If I was to choose a ski for the trees off the NW Express lift on a deep day, my list would include:

182 or 187 Billygoat,184 Cease & Desist, or 187 proTest if snow is more Cascade-like and deep crud skiing is also on the menu.
Pescado or 184 DPS 112rp if snow is on the dryer side or if groomers are in the plan.

TS
PwdrHnd73

PwdrHnd73

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
My Moment Deathwish 112s are the best tree skis I have owned. I am on my second resort version, and I also own the tour.

I have owned Rustler 11s and ON3P Billygoats...and they are good tree skis as well (Billygoat is an outstanding coastal snow ski. Rustler is a great all rounder), but I prefer the Deathwish in tighter spaces. It pivots and slarves really well and holds an edge when needed. I also prefer the deathwish to the blank (which I have only demoed), but I think the blank is a bit more plush in the open and easier to make smaller radius carves.

I also briefly owned the wailer 112s (first gen hybrid), but didn't really get along with them.
Thanks for mentioning the Moment Deathwish. This looks like it might be a great option. I see a lot of them around, along with the Wildcats. I’ll take a deeper dive.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Imo many of the recommendations are for pretty chargy and heavy skis. On3p, moment, etc... Didn't you want something easy and forgiving?

I would look long and hard at the Line Sakana. Volkl blaze. Salomon qst echo.

Last edited:

Lvovsky /Pasha/Pavel

i hiked the ridge... twice...
Skier
Hi all!
Would love to get the communities input on a solid pick for a tree ski for deep power days.
I’m really after easier pivoting, playful skis. I own both the Fisher Ranger 115FR and Nordica Enforcer 110’s. Both perform great for me in open bowls. But….I would like to find something a bit more forgiving.
I’m considering the following
Line Outline or SFB
K2 Reckoner 112
Atomic BC 120, 110 or Backland 117
Amada ARV 116 JJ or 106
I’m open to suggestions on any other ski.

About Me: 5’8ish 165lb Advanced Skier
Boots: Techica Cochise 120 and Mach 1 130
Home Mtn: Mt. Bachelor
Other skis in my quiver:
Nordica Soul Rider 97 177cm
Fischer Ranger 102 177cm
Many others collecting dust
I have Atomic BC120 184cm and BC100 in 180cm. Had a few hours on 110 this season. 5’11” 160lb.

BC120 were superb this week in Taos’ steep trees after two feet storm. They are light, pivoty, and very center stance oriented.

TS
PwdrHnd73

PwdrHnd73

Skier
Imo many of the recommendations are for pretty chargy and heavy skis. On3p, moment, etc... Didn't you want something easy and forgiving?

Thanks for the reply. I’ll definitely check those out. I was under the impression the Moment Deathwish was a fairly soft flexing ski? The Weight looks to be under 2000g per ski. That seems middle of the road. Not too heavy. I wasn’t planning on touring with these. Just looking for something playful, floats well and most importantly very easy to pivot. A lighter weight ski would be a bonus. Just don’t want em’ getting knocked around when things get choppy.
This will be a dedicated deep day resort powder ski. I prefer to spend my time in the trees when conditions allow. Thanks again for the recommendations. I’ll take a closer look for sure.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
Lighter weight skis get “knocked around when things get choppy.” They just do. Especially when you are dealing with Cascade concrete.

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks for the reply. I’ll definitely check those out. I was under the impression the Moment Deathwish was a fairly soft flexing ski? The Weight looks to be under 2000g per ski. That seems middle of the road. Not too heavy.

The deathwish is not a charger. It's pretty playful. I use a Volkl Katana to bulldoze through heavy chop :)

TS
PwdrHnd73

PwdrHnd73

Skier
Thanks for all the input. Leaning toward the Moment Deathwish 112. Still considering the following. Line Outline, BC 120, ARV 116, Reckoner 112, Soul 7. The Fat-ypus D’Vice looks interesting as well. Be great to have them side by side for a visual and flex comparison.✌️

charlier

Fresh Tracks
Skier
I think Kästle's ZX100 might be super fun in trees but I guess maybe I should say the 108 for a "deep day" ski. I am trying to keep my quiver where it is, don't need more, but I keep thinking that 100 would be such a fun ski for soft days in trees and other playful times. Obviously I still love my SR95, and it does just fine in trees, but it's a little more on the serious side than the ZX, not as smeary.
I purchased the ZX 100 for typical refresh powder days, trees, and mellow bumps. I will use Shift bindings for our local side-country skiing.

Last edited:
Reactions: BMC

PupManS

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
For trees, the Pescado is outstanding. Light, responds well to short turns, good float- a powder ski you don’t have to ski fast.

you could also consider a Praxis Protest in shorter length. Nimble, forgiving and quite light for the size. It’s what I use but I’m heavier than you.

I’m not a fan of chargers in trees. The wildcat is good also, but I really seriously don’t like them on runouts and hard pack. Love it in soft snow though.

my theory in trees:

1) shorter and wider for agility vs long and narrow for stability

2) tips that stay up even at slow speed (that’s my beef with a lot of these recommendations)

3) surfy and forgiving…tail rocker and twin tips help.

Sponsor

Staff online