• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah Deer Valley parking question

outerlimits

Booting up
Skier
First timer heading to Deer Valley. On the website the following is indicated.

There is also a limited amount of complimentary parking at the Jordanelle Express Gondola.

I would be driving up 189 from Heber City. How limited is the parking at this location? I usually arrive before opening bell.

Would there be more appropriate parking locations for someone traveling north on 189?

Tony

tseeb
Skier
In my limited Deer Valley experience I have not seen many people use Jordanelle parking or lift/runs. It seemed like it was more of a real estate lift (to give ski in-ski out to homes in the area) with marginal conditions (often firm man-made as it’s low and far from the crest) that will be in shade at end of day. It would save you a lot of driving and traffic vs. Snow Park, where most DV parking is located. And walk from parking to lift would also be shorter although Snow Park had shuttles.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Get there early - park at Jordanelle. Anyhing else is madness from Heber City.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Another vote for Jordanelle. I like the runs over there, like one big GS course.
You don't get the whole Deer Valley 'experience' there, both good and bad, and you don't get the traffic. You can drive over and hang at DV for dinner or après after skiing and miss the day crowds. Best of both worlds.

musicmatters

Getting on the lift
Skier
Yes - parking at Jordanelle would be easier then going to the base, and it’s free. From there you just work your way over to the main part of the mountain.

Another option would be to drive up to the Silver Lake area and you could pay to park $25-$30. Starting here puts you right at mid-mountain and gets you up to the good snow (untracked powder if the conditions allow) quickly as you are 1 lift away from Bald and Flagstaff mtns.

Let me know if you need any ski run recommendations.

trieu

Putting on skis
Skier
The beautiful thing about DV - is the service. From the entrance - there are about 4 S turns - that early folks would park on both sides of the roads. If those are full - they would close the entrance to it on your right - and direct you to the parking lot to the left of the street. The service - is there are shuttles running back and forth constantly - to pickup skiers from the cars, or dropping off skiers at the car. Of course you can walk - but they really cater to you so you don't have to.

If you choose not to boot up at the car, you can walk down to the lodge and boot up inside. However there are only very small lockers available, so if you are bringing a boot bag - you just have to leave the boot bag in the common area where everyone leaves their stuff. I have not had any issues with theft there - but that's a personal decision. You can always walk back up to the car to drop it off - but if that is the case - you might as well boot up at the car.

Then the best part - if you are skiing multiple days there, checkin your ski and poles at the end of the day - and they will give you claim tag. One less thing to lug to the car at the end of the day. All of this is "free"(or part of the price of admission if you want to think of it that way).

Coming from SLC - I would always take the long route, and park at Jordanelle and bypass all the other exits to Park City.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
If you choose not to boot up at the car, you can walk down to the lodge and boot up inside. However there are only very small lockers available, so if you are bringing a boot bag - you just have to leave the boot bag in the common area where everyone leaves their stuff. I have not had any issues with theft there - but that's a personal decision. You can always walk back up to the car to drop it off - but if that is the case - you might as well boot up at the car.
you can not use the lockers check your bag at the window at Snow Park for a couple of dollar. At least you used to be able to do that.

trieu

Putting on skis
Skier
I'm not sure of the fee at Snow Park - I thought it was like $10/day - equivalent to the cost of the basket to place your shoes and personal belongings that you can retrieve multiple times a day, versus the locker - which is a one time use & associated fees.

But I don't think that service is available at Jordanelle.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
@trieu - probably not, the limited times that I have skied down to the bottom there - recall just a gondola terminal.

TS
outerlimits

outerlimits

Booting up
Skier
Thanks to everyone for the advice & suggestions. Much appreciated!