• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Delayed furniture

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
My current dining room table set is some cheap thing from a department store; only thing I could afford when I was fresh out of college. It's served me well for 30 years, but I wanted something "nice". I didn't really see what I was looking for in local furniture stores, but last year I saw a gorgeous dining room set from a Massachuestts-based builder at the Big E (big fair type of thing).

So, last September 20th, I bought it -- placed an order. They put on the invoice to expect delivery in March 2022, but "that's an estimate".

• Called them in February to inquire about progress; "It's not March yet, so we're still within schedule".
  • A week or two later I got an email saying that "It won't be ready until June or July".
  • Mid-May I get a call saying that it's ready for delivery; delivery is scheduled. Three days later (day prior to delivery) they call to say that they've only made the chairs, not the table, so I have to wait. How do you realize that late that you don't have all the pieces? I send him an email expressing that concern to which they respond "I'll call you next week". They never call.
  • Mid July I email to express concern that the updated timeframe is being missed; they say "I need a few more weeks". Again, I express concern saying that "a few more weeks" is an extremely vague timeframe.
  • Got a call the other day saying that it's available. Fine. Again, delivery is scheduled. Again, they call back to say "ooops, it's available, but we made it incorrectly" (i.e., not entirely to my specifications). "We can deliver this or you can wait another 6-8 weeks while we make it again". Why the heck would I want a table that was made wrong?

I sent them another email indicating that at this point you owe me something -- you've twice promised delivery and you've twice gotten it wrong. I demanded a refund of some percentage of the purchase price or "cancel the order" -- they have a dining room set, right now that they can sell in their showroom. That got me a promise of a phone call from the company president, so we'll see where that goes.

This whole saga is turning into a running joke among my friends. I've twice had to cancel dinner plans with friends regarding the "first meal at the new table".

Do you think I'm out of line demanding some kind of financial compensation at this point? Saying "March" and then not coming through until -- realistically -- October -- is beyond ridiculous.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
No. Not ridiculous on your part.

But not necessarily uncommon situation to be in. Often the best creators are not necessarily the best at running a business. Then of course there are those that get big a little too fast and simply can't keep up.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I feel for you. I ordered something back in May. Didn't get it, contact, email, put off, put off. Finally canceled the order at the end of June. They said I'd get my refund within 10 days. Still waiting, radio silence. The company is in BC, which I missed when ordering. I now have the credit card company in on it and have left a review with the BBB. I also contacted the local business license folks to let them know.

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
No, you are not out of line to expect some compensation.

Reality, though -- come October, Lucy might pull the football again.

I'm going to offer unsolicited advice, on the assumption that you will actually receive a phone call --

1) Prepare for the call. And prepare to control the conversation. You will likely hear all the excuses for why this happened, blah, blah, blah. I would let them talk for a little bit, but there would come a point of my saying, "The past 11 months have been about your company. This conversation is about Me."

2) Determine in advance exactly what you want -- what you will be satisfied with, and what you might regret if you accepted. Are you paying for delivery? If so, if they delivered for free, would that be sufficient? Or is there a % reduction you want? Do you have any idea what they discount things by when they put them on sale? Maybe the sale price would feel fair. Whatever you feel is fair compensation, tell them ... don't hope they'll offer your magic #. Make it easy for them. Also know what you're not willing to accept.

In addition, I would set a deadline for receiving the phone call. Because ... Lucy.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Interesting. Not one excuse containing the words Covid, or short of staff, supply chain, et all. Simply: "yeah, we're pretty damn incompetent, and we're proud of it"

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Furniture companies are notoriously late on building their product. Add the disruption of the supply chain due to Covid and you have the delays you are experiencing. I agree with @VickieH that you should have a plan for the call, although I would not share how much discount you want because they may offer more than you expect. You have to be a tuff negotiateator and be prepared to cancel the entire order. The company doesn't want to get stuck with the chairs that are already built so they should make some offer and only you can say if that is acceptable. Good Luck and keep us posted on the results.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Your reaction is certainly more than reasonable.

VickieH nailed it. It's about figuring out what you want to happen and then making that unmistakably clear to the vendor, along with the specific next steps you will take if you don't get it. (Example: getting card company involved, as Andy mentioned.)

Do you still really want the table, after all this, even if it means continuing to pursue the process? Do you trust that it will be of the quality you anticipated and that this guy will stay in business and stand behind it? Plan to spend a half hour going over it all with a magnifying glass when it's delivered, and don't let the delivery truck leave until you're satisfied. If you're not, put it back on the truck and don't sign for it.

I suspect that if it were me at this point I would be so fed up with the hassle and frustration that I'd just tell the guy that he had failed to deliver as promised and that I was pulling the plug. "I expect full credit on my card by x date. If that doesn't happen, this is what I'm going to do about it." Then again, I haven't seen the table!

TS
KevinF

KevinF

Team Gathermeister
@Scruffy , The initial delay to June/July timeframe was blamed on supply chain issues. I can understand that; I can't understand how you say it's ready for delivery and then realize you forgot to make a TABLE; I can't understand how they claim to make a "high quality product" while simultaneously admitting that it was made incorrectly. That's just incompetence.

@VickieH , @Tony S -- yeah, figuring out what I want to happen is the tough part. Obviously getting a new table in "6-8 weeks" is quicker than I'd get it from anybody else. At the same time, will seeing it every day for the next umpteen years be a reminder of the aggravation or a source of pride? "Starting over" would mean waiting several months and more aggravation. i.e, seems like "aggravation" is in the cards regardless of what route I take.

Should be close enough. Simple, no frills, solid, etc. Just the way I like it:
IMG_4239.jpeg

TS
KevinF

KevinF

Team Gathermeister
Do you trust that it will be of the quality you anticipated and that this guy will stay in business and stand behind it? Plan to spend a half hour going over it all with a magnifying glass when it's delivered, and don't let the delivery truck leave until you're satisfied. If you're not, put it back on the truck and don't sign for it.

My girlfriend could spot an ant poop at 500 yards in five seconds. Meanwhile, I could miss that the entire table/chair assembly had been dragged through a muddy field ("interesting coloring here..."). If / when this phantom table ever gets delivered, she will be the one doing the inspection, not me. :)

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
Bottom line, you still want a new table!

But it doesn't sound like you need it to be exactly the way you specify it.

How about finding out how "incorrectly" was it made? Wrong wood, doesn't match the chair == cancel order and start over. Or is the missed spec minor enough you'll take delivery of the incorrectly made table as long as they give you a substantial discount?

Keep in mind if you go to a different manufacturer, you're getting a different table. So will you accept this set that's not quite what you ordered at a good price? Assuming it's a nice dinning set, albeit not exactly what you specified.

Yes, you should ask for a discount. First, "a small consideration" for the multiple missed delivery promises and hassle. And second, more substantial one for the incorrectly made table, if you choose to go that route.

I can understand the delay, given the current environment. But I don't find the lack of communication quite as understandable. If it were me, and the already made table is unacceptable nor any substantial discount offered for further waiting, I'd cancel the order.

On the other hand, I'm always an optimist. So if you do get a call from "the president of the company" (i.e. someone with some power), you're quite likely to be able to extract a significant discount out of him/her. Prepare the call as VickieH suggests and you may get your table in a few weeks for a good price.

Last edited:

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
So have you actually paid anything? If you paid in full, that was a huge mistake...they have all the leverage. So where you go from here depends on how bad you want this set, and if you can or cannot find somethig you like elsewhere. But if it were me, I would get it resolved quickly before you find they've gone out of business. I've seen too much of that lately...

Near Nyquist

At the edge of instability
Skier
@Scruffy , The initial delay to June/July timeframe was blamed on supply chain issues. I can understand that; I can't understand how you say it's ready for delivery and then realize you forgot to make a TABLE; I can't understand how they claim to make a "high quality product" while simultaneously admitting that it was made incorrectly. That's just incompetence.

@VickieH , @Tony S -- yeah, figuring out what I want to happen is the tough part. Obviously getting a new table in "6-8 weeks" is quicker than I'd get it from anybody else. At the same time, will seeing it every day for the next umpteen years be a reminder of the aggravation or a source of pride? "Starting over" would mean waiting several months and more aggravation. i.e, seems like "aggravation" is in the cards regardless of what route I take.

Should be close enough. Simple, no frills, solid, etc. Just the way I like it:
IMG_4239.jpeg
Now that is one nice table ❤️❤️❤️❤️
Does it expand with extension leaves to fit 8

In2h2o

Out on the slopes
Skier
@KevinF totally right to expect some kind of compensation for your wait. However, it seems this has become more personal/emotional, and as you say - will you be looking at that table everyday in frustration? I don't know what your style or requirements are but IMHO FWIW you are on the east coast, home of antiques and solid wood furniture. I did a quick look on craigslist in various east coast cites and found solid tables (and chairs) for mere hundreds of dollars.
Think of the $$$ you could save to spend on skiing instead of furniture.......

Uncle-A

Skier
Now all my feeds are pictures of furniture, not that I ever got all the other stuff from that other thread.

TS
KevinF

KevinF

Team Gathermeister
How about finding out how "incorrectly" was it made? Wrong wood, doesn't match the chair == cancel order and start over. Or is the missed spec minor enough you'll take delivery of the incorrectly made table as long as they give you a substantial discount?
They made the edges square instead of rounded. I hate that; it's a sharper edge when your arms are resting on the table.

So have you actually paid anything? If you paid in full, that was a huge mistake...they have all the leverage. So where you go from here depends on how bad you want this set, and if you can or cannot find somethig you like elsewhere. But if it were me, I would get it resolved quickly before you find they've gone out of business. I've seen too much of that lately...
Yes, unfortunately I paid them in full right off the bat (i.e., last September). I hated the idea of a "hidden debt". Regretting that decision now. Not sure the credit card company would do anything nearly a year after the charge.

Now that is one nice table ❤️❤️❤️❤️
Does it expand with extension leaves to fit 8
Yes, although I'd only have four chairs, but there would definitely be room to expand.

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
They made the edges square instead of rounded. I hate that; it's a sharper edge when your arms are resting on the table.

unfortunately I paid them in full right off the bat (i.e., last September).
I would ask for a refund first.

Then, you can "relent" and accept a partial refund if they can either make a new table or fix the one that's incorrectly made, quickly. (seems they should be able to rout the square edges off and make it round. Isn't that how they're made? -- I'm assuming we're talking about solid wood piece here).

Not sure the credit card company would do anything nearly a year after the charge.
I believe you can have your credit card company do a "charge back" for goods not delivered.

I've done it once. But that's some years back. So not sure if credit card policy had changed or not.

Assuming it's a legit and still on-going business, you shouldn't have trouble getting your money back if that's what you want. There's always small claim court if it comes to that. But it shouldn't come to that as any legit business can't afford to not refund you.

Knowing that, you can use that as a bargaining chip to get your table at a discount. I know it's frustrating. But unless you smell a con job, you should eventually get your table. Just a matter of getting compensated for the delay and hassle.

Last edited:

Uncle-A

Skier

Yes, although I'd only have four chairs, but there would definitely be room to expand.
Putting a rounded edge on the table would be an easy thing for the manufacturer to fix. Not sure why they would even bother not fixing it as soon as they discovered the mistake. The factory probably has a dedicated person that corrects minor issues like that before the furniture ships.

When you say that there is room to expand, does the table have a leaf or two?

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
you should have a plan for the call, although I would not share how much discount you want because they may offer more than you expect. You have to be a tuff negotiateator and be prepared to cancel the entire order.
This is where our personalities come into play and @KevinF has to formulate a plan that is consistent with his.

If they offer anything, I expect it would be something like 10%. That would insult me. I would declare my bottom line up front as Take It or Leave It. No negotiation. My % off would probably be 20-something.

I read the "Covid" stuff people are saying. Covid was no excuse as of last September. We had been in the supply chain situation for so long by then that they should have known very well what they could and could not deliver. And if they were not going to meet a promise, they owed the customers a phone call. Not hide and hope no one calls to check on orders or complain.

Some people, having gone thru all that @KevinF has, would be determining if the company was going to be at Big E this fall, then start designing the sandwich board to wear as they walked back and forth in front of the company's booth. Y'know, as a PSA to potential customers.

Sponsor

Staff online