• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Delayed furniture

TS
KevinF

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
@KevinF, got an update?

Yes! I was hiking up in NH celebrating the completion of a long term hiking project over the weekend (so I was off the grid). Also, my birthday is tomorrow (Tuesday) and my girlfriend and I have planned an awesome day together.

i.e., I am not ruining my "special few days" by thinking about this issue. Check back on Wednesday. :cool:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Ghosting them for awhile is warranted here :)

TS
KevinF

KevinF

Team Gathermeister
Well, after the aforementioned "6-8 weeks more" (and the semi-threatening letter I sent him that was copied above) , he called to say that the table was now ready for delivery, etc. Waiting for a call back to actually schedule a date for whatever that's worth.

I'm convinced that:
  • He's never going to believe that a refund / discount is appropriate
  • He has no clue regarding his production schedule -- i.e., any dates provided are just random points on a calendar. How does 6-8 weeks suddenly become "done"?
  • I made a big mistake in giving him 100% down instead of a 50% deposit.
  • I'm not going to use him for any other furniture in the future.

I'll be happy to put this whole saga behind me. Cautiously optimisitc that I'll get my new table in the near future though.

TS
KevinF

KevinF

Team Gathermeister
Well it finally showed up…. It does look fabulous. Glad this saga is at an end.

F12221C5-9458-423D-ADEB-1BB899BC89C6.jpeg

James

Out There
Instructor
Looks Nice!
Hey, only 5 months late, not that bad.

Now you need to plan for a vehicle big enough to bring it to Maine for the NEG. It’ll be the lunch table. Leave the chairs, we’ll use folding chairs to make it easier.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Is it unduly flammable?

Or just planning crepes suzette at your dinner party?

James

Out There
Instructor
Is that the edge you wanted? Looks like a large bevel, like the original picture.

TS
KevinF

KevinF

Team Gathermeister
Is it unduly flammable?

Or just planning crepes suzette at your dinner party?

It's solid wood; I'm sure it would burn given the right conditions which I have no plans of exposing it to.

I was never a fan of crepes...

Nice, table top, solid hardwood or plywood veneer?

Should be solid oak (although I didn't drill through it to verify...).

Is that the edge you wanted? Looks like a large bevel, like the original picture.

Yes. The original picture was a copy-paste from their website. They had originally made it with squared-off edges and square corners.

Lovely wood grain. Elegant and subtle design.

Yep. Nice, simple, non-flashy, will last for a lifetime and then some.

There's very little clearance between the arm-rests and the bottom of the table. The chairs don't slide well on the carpet (but I'm meaning to replace the flooring there with hardwood anyway), so that should be a temporary issue. For now I can just leave the chairs backed out a little bit. Or I can look to see if the table legs are on levelling screws or not and just raise the table by another few mm.

TS
KevinF

KevinF

Team Gathermeister
Need to decorate it... I'm torn between putting a tablecloth over it (and hiding the woodgrain :nono:) and protecting it.

Or some sort of centerpiece.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
It's solid wood; I'm sure it would burn given the right conditions which I have no plans of exposing it to.
& anyway you have a fire extinguisher very handy! I know safety first and its probably for patio etc but I liked to think you'd installed it alongside your new table.

TS
KevinF

KevinF

Team Gathermeister
& anyway you have a fire extinguisher very handy! I know safety first and its probably for patio etc but I liked to think you'd installed it alongside your new table.

Ah. Now I get the "flammable" reference. Yes, that fire extinguisher is located at a good halfway point between the patio grill and the kitchen stove. Easy access from both places.

First time I cooked dinner for my now-girlfriend I did set off the fire alarm. :( And she lives across the street. So she hears the fire alarm going off, walks over and is like "ummmm, can I help?". So we now call Creamy Tuscan Chicken "Fire Alarm Chicken" instead.

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
Need to decorate it... I'm torn between putting a tablecloth over it (and hiding the woodgrain :nono:) and protecting it.
"decorate it"? You paid good money to get a nice solid wood table with wood grain showing... and you want to cover it up? :huh:

(sorry, can't resist. I'm a wood person, wouldn't do anything other than showcase it in its natural glory)