• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Demo bindings on twin tips: bad idea?

bananyan

Booting up
Skier
I'm thinking of mounting Attack 13 demo bindings on my twin tips. I don't plan to go super hard on them. Smaller jumps no more than 3s, butters, probably no rails but that I don't want to completely rule it out yet. In general, not super aggressive. I'm an intermediate 6ft/150lb skier so my DIN settings aren't that high anyway. However, with more moving parts, I'm concerned the demo bindings will have more points of failure.

The reason I want demo bindings is because I'm not sure if I want them center mounted and that I may go back and forth as I try them out. Another reason is if I were to ski some light powder, I can move the bindings back.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Make sure the brakes tuck in really well if you ever land switch. They'll be a little heavier than non demo. Other than that you're probably fine.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
“Center mounting park skis” is a practice that should have stopped years ago as almost all skis now have directional sidecuts. Mounting in the Center puts you “ahead of the sidecut” which results in a nervous ski that doesn’t carve well and nose dives in any powder. A skier’s stance will never be the same going forward vs switch so you’re sacrificing both mounting Center. Ski manufactures and designers have been against mounting Center their skis as they are not typically designed to be mounted there.

I take it these are your only skis? So using in the park and all mountain? For that type of use, you’re usually going to be in the -3cm to -5cm back from Center on most twin tips. What ski and length do you have as there is probably a recommended mount for your description of use.
Shouldn’t have to move the mount if you select the right one to start with so I’d rather go with traditional bindings for your use.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yes as @GregK mentions, "center mount" is no longer a thing. Yes, there are forward mount options but I would rather be lower on the deck of the ski with a more connected binding with an average mount point that higher up with a disconnect.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
What you are doing is something I have done successfully for decades: experiment with mount point using demo bindings. The differences of less than half a centimeter in terms of ski performance can be huge, surprising, and differ considerably from skier to skier. So recommended mount points for most skis are only a good general average, not cut in stone. And the effort/experimentation is usually worth the trouble, at least for me - and for others I ski with.

That particular binding, in most iterations, is generally higher off the ski than the fixed binding version. This is great for a skier who has incorporated a lot of edge work/carving into their style, even for more freestyle or park skiing; but if you prefer to pivot or slide most of your turns, and go by feel on the snow with this, then the immediate feel of being closer to the ski and snow is often preferred, especially by park and freestyle skiers, as opposed to freeride or racer-trained skiers. Skiers who like to detune or dull their edges already sure don't want more immediacy, authority and precision in their carving especially.

For example, since I use a lot of carve for control and style, and feathering with my edges, this type of demo binding is an enhancement, not a detriment for me, and for others, as I said, but may not be for you. A friend I ski with who pivots through bumps for hours, softer or less edgework, finds the higher demo binding is something that bothers him a bit, not preferred.

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Yes as @GregK mentions, "center mount" is no longer a thing. Yes, there are forward mount options but I would rather be lower on the deck of the ski with a more connected binding with an average mount point that higher up with a disconnect.
Wouldn't the line on them tell you? If it's a true twin tip park focused ski the sidecut might be more symmetrical than a traditional ski and the line would be farther forward, even if not truly in mid sole middle of running length.. Park ski or all mountain, the line should be where the ski was designed to be skied for that purpose right?

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Wouldn't the line on them tell you? If it's a true twin tip park focused ski the sidecut might be more symmetrical than a traditional ski and the line would be farther forward, even if not truly in mid sole middle of running length.. Park ski or all mountain, the line should be where the ski was designed to be skied for that purpose right?
Freestyle/park skis will sometimes have a single mark based on “typical intended use” which is a mark that can be tailored based on more park use vs more all mountain use. Others will have a range of mounts going from “park/freestyle” mount that is more centered and a “all mountain” mark further back. Choose a mark depending on where you’ll use it most and in the OP remarks it sounds like he’s best in between this range.

Many people are still ignoring any of these factory recommended marks and just “mounting tape measure Center” driving ski engineers crazy! :doh:

Sponsor

Staff online