• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Demo bindings question

bananyan

Booting up
Skier
I'm not sure if this is a stupid question but I'll ask anyway. My boots are 310mm and I set the bindings (tyrolia attack 13 demo bindings) to something like 308-311mm. My boots have gripwalk soles. When I popped my boots into the bindings, it feels a bit tight, as in there's noticeable friction in the heel. I set the bindings with a bit more space (let's say 311-314mm) and the boots popped in normally without that weird heel friction, which is the same sensation as all boots/bindings I've tried before.

My question is, am I supposed to leave it in the tighter setting for my boots, it will the slightly looser setting compromise my safety?

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Check the forward pressure indicator.

Magoo

Putting on skis
Inactive
There are youtube videos that will show you how to check the forward pressure for each demo binding.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Some tension ^^^forward pressure^^^ is required for the binding to work properly. Too much forward pressure or too little and yer gunna die.. or at least have a bad time. Check it as suggested above.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have found the Tyrolia settings for BSL have been dead on. Do you have the Attack or Attack2 demo binding? The reason I ask is the latter former is not GripWalk compatible.

Correction-mistype.

Last edited:

Betaracer

Atomic Race & Tech Rep, BC Region
Skier
From the Tyrolia website, it lists the binding being ISO: 5355A, 9523, 9523W, 9523 GripWalk , yet there don't appear to be any toe height adjustments to deal with the varying heights the different norms require. Nor does there appear to be any markings of WTR, MNC, or Gripwalk to indicate they are compatible.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
From the Tyrolia website, it lists the binding being ISO: 5355A, 9523, 9523W, 9523 GripWalk , yet there don't appear to be any toe height adjustments to deal with the varying heights the different norms require. Nor does there appear to be any markings of WTR, MNC, or Gripwalk to indicate they are compatible.
Here is the Attack2 Demo toe showing A/GW and T (Touring)
1C1888ED-4CA6-42A8-9CAE-35F99CEA4D3B.jpeg

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
My question is, am I supposed to leave it in the tighter setting for my boots, it will the slightly looser setting compromise my safety?
As a former rental tech at a demo centre I would occasionally have a situation where 2 different settings would be within spec. In other words if a black line had to appear in a window or hash marks on a tube had to be visible protruding from a housing, allowing 2 different heel positions to be acceptable, I would always choose the tighter setting with the heel farther forward.

Last edited:
TS
B

bananyan

Booting up
Skier
Ok so after everyone pointing out the forward pressure, I noticed the tab that adjusts the heel piece position also has these lines.

20201201_234932.jpg

When I use the tighter setting that's correct for my boot, none of the lines are there. When I use the setting that is too big for my boot but the sensation feels right, only half of the lines are covered. I believe this should be the correct setting even if it's a couple mm bigger than my boots.

20201201_235231.jpg

However now I realize i need to adjust the AFD as it's too high.

Last edited:

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Those lines or hash marks, when visible indicates that forward is correct. You just need some of the hash marks to be visible, but not all of them.

TS
B

bananyan

Booting up
Skier
Remember to wheelie the boot when you adjust the AFD.
Sorry I'm not sure what that means. I had followed the instructions and there's a tiny gap between the afd and the toe of the boot. The instructions call for the business card test which should be able to pass through the gap but with resistance.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Sorry I'm not sure what that means. I had followed the instructions and there's a tiny gap between the afd and the toe of the boot. The instructions call for the business card test which should be able to pass through the gap but with resistance.
He means when you put the boot in the binding to test for proper toe height, pull back on the cuff to create the most separation between the toe and the AFD, then adjust the height.

TS
B

bananyan

Booting up
Skier
He means when you put the boot in the binding to test for proper toe height, pull back on the cuff to create the most separation between the toe and the AFD, then adjust the height.
Gotcha. I did the business card test again while pulling back on the cuff and there is still some resistance when pulling out the card. Thanks for the clarification!

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
if you want to get pedantic and fussy, a standard business card is too thin potentially .25mm to .35mm where the spec is for .50mm. So if you want to fuss over it and do the actual tech instructions, using 1 business card test should be be almost no resistance pulling out. (maybe thats why that article says use the reverse test of you should be able to slide the business card IN)

A thin promo card/loyalty/hotel card (e.g. junk mail "Your Name Here" creditcards) can 20mil stock; and so will be really close to .5mm; but these are harder to come by.
A credit card (30mil) is too thick .76mm but is a common reference standard you should have to measure against and see if it's 2 or 3 of your business cards.

If you don't have a stack of random cards to find a closer .50mm card; you may just want to shoot for a touch looser than 1 businesscard, but definitely tighter and holds 2business cards or credit card.

Last edited:

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
if you want to get pedantic and fussy, a standard business card is too thin like .25mm where the spec is for .50mm so more like 2 businesscards. So if you want to fuss over it and do the actual tech instructions, using 1 business card test should be be almost no resistance pulling out. (maybe thats why that article says use the reverse test of you should be able to slide the business card in)

A thin promo card/loyalty/hotel card (e.g. mail fake creditcards) is 20mil and closer to .5mm and about be 2 business cards thick; but these are harder to come by.
A credit card (30mil) is too thick .76mm and about 3business cards.

If you don't have a stack of random cardstock; you may just want to shoot for looser than a businesscard, but tighter than a credit card.

My personal opinion is that the gap clearance requirements over the AFD is a "hang over" from the days when binding AFDs really sucked. I just don't see it being all that critical with some of the better mechanical AFD designs which eliminate the friction between the boot and the AFD from coming into play during the release. I'm not talking about having it so improperly setup that you're "squeezing" the toe lug between the AFD and the underside of the binding toe wings, but rather that there is less "play" in the toe lug interface to the binding.

Of course I have never tested my theory, given I don't have access to a testing device for binding release, but I think it would be interesting for someone who does have access in a shop to actually test the effect of less than "manufacturer spec" gap on the measured release. How critical is it? Inquiring minds want to know...

Last edited:

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I completely agree,
Given that the newer boots could be vibram/rubber soles and with completely random tread and wear patterns that may poke over instead of all just flat plastic too, maybe it's somewhat a moot point.
But for the fussy and pedantic, and currently stuck at home and not on the slopes; I had to post that a business card isn't the correct thickness in the manufacturer's procedure.:beercheer:

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online