• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Couchmaster

Putting on skis
Skier
Curious of what others think is a top crud ski now and how they would compart to the Head Monster 88s.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Curious of what others think is a top crud ski now and how they would compart to the Head Monster 88s.

Tough one. Personally I'm crushed they've discontinued the M88... I may find a new 'old' one. The only other ski that's the same deal is the Augment AM 88. It's more similar to the 16-17 monster 88 than last years, but man, did I say how much I miss a monster on the market? :)

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier

2021 Brahma 88 in the 183cm or 189cm are probably the current crud/best suspension leaders around their width now and similar in many ways to the Monster 88. The Brahma 88 added more weight this year while being more accessible than even the last Monster 88 version.

Both skis have very little rocker or taper compared to many other all mountain skis so they sacrifice a bit in off trail forgiveness for improved hard snow carving performance. Brahma’s tip shape is great at passing over crud at higher speeds vs tips that could sometimes bulldoze a bit on earlier Monster 88s. Both share pretty traditional mount points, weights and a stiff flex throughout with the Brahma being a bit little softer tip and tail vs the Monster 88.

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Tough one. Personally I'm crushed they've discontinued the M88... I may find a new 'old' one. The only other ski that's the same deal is the Augment AM 88. It's more similar to the 16-17 monster 88 than last years, but man, did I say how much I miss a monster on the market? :)

I asked in another thread why Head discontinued the Monster series and whether the Kore replaced them or not. So many people rave about the Monsters and their ability to bust through crud with no apparent speed limits.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
I asked in another thread why Head discontinued the Monster series and whether the Kore replaced them or not. So many people rave about the Monsters and their ability to bust through crud with no apparent speed limits.

I know I've said in many threads on the topic, it might have been the best ski ever that was hardest to sell. Pretty sad and simple really. We're also not all that many people in the larger picture of the ski world.

Skeezer

Booting up
Skier
As an Enforcer 100 owner who has never skied the 104 free, I’m curious if those who have skied both feel one stands out as the better crud ski, or is it a wash?

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Enforcer 94. :pug:

AlpedHuez

Chasing that Odermatt form
Skier
The Monster 88 has been replaced by the Kore 87 and the SuperShape e.Titan, now widened to 84 underfoot

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
The Monster 88 has been replaced by the Kore 87 and the SuperShape e.Titan, now widened to 84 underfoot

Yes, I think this was mentioned in earlier posts. Both good skis in their own right, but neither is a Monster 88.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
As an Enforcer 100 owner who has never skied the 104 free, I’m curious if those who have skied both feel one stands out as the better crud ski, or is it a wash?

The 104 with it’s carbon chassis, true tip technology along with a bit stiffer flex tip/tail and more weight is SLIGHTLY better than the old Enforcer 100 was through crud. Both quite good.

The 2021 Enforcer 94 and 100 now have the same carbon chassis, true tip as the 104 while getting stiffer and adding about 150 grams per ski vs the old 93 and 100. So now even the 94 would be pretty comparable to the 104 and the heavier 100 may now be a touch better in crud than the 104.

An old 100 owner would switch to the 104 if they wanted something more playful and easier to pivot off piste with better float. They would go for the 2021 100 if they wanted something more powerful on piste.

Skeezer

Booting up
Skier
Thanks, GregK, that as exactly what I wanted to know. I have been wanting to migrate to the 104 for better off piste performance but was not wanting to give up the crud performance I already have with the old E100. I think the 104 should be perfect for me.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Dunno. Probably in the Rockies it's different than on the coasts, more about softer snow, wider skis. Monster 88 or 83 back East, for me, except in uniform moguls. (Never skied out on the West Coast, so uncertain there.)

I've wanted a crud ski that is also a great resort powder ski, two in one. The K2 Pettitor (longest length, +3 or +4 mount) was that ski, to me. (It's very good charging/carving groomers too, if you're in shape for such a big ski.) The last few years, the Black Ops 118 has played a similar roll, though not as good in powder: a tank. And a charger, when that's wanted - but versatile. Ultimate bombproof crud ski, except for the Pettitor.

I used to want a pure crud ski to also be a charger. Fast and unflappable.
To me, the Blizzard Cochise used to be THE pure crud ski. Too fast for old bones, though.

Last edited:

SmileGuy

Booting up
Skier
I didn't read through the whole thread, so excuse me if I am repeating any other sentiments. But experience and opinion, 95-105 is the better width for crud busting. A good example is last week, I skied some broken up old powder/crud on my monster 88s. Was having a blast but suddenly speared a tip and face planted. Skied the same section on my monster 98's yesterday and never felt like I might get caught up. PS love my near new Monster 98's I bought here from Scott. i had been looking for a 98-105 crud buster for a long time that I loved as much as my monster 88 for firm days. Finally, I decided to be boring and just get the Monster 98. So glad I did. Carves like a champ, super stable at speed, blows through anything in front of it, and yet releases the tail easily unlike other burly skis in the class I didn't get along with.

TS
Crudmaster

Crudmaster

tinyurl.com/pungjgt
Skier
Speaking of the Head Monster series, I just skied a few runs again on a pair of couple-of-year-old 4Front MSP's. They're heavy, 99 wide, and feel bomb-proof like the Monster 88 and 83's of yesteryear. They steer through Cascade Crud beautifully, and are a top candidate for my recommended 1SQ (one ski quiver) along with Enforcer 100s and, possibly, the K2 Mindbender 99s.

And I'm so sad that we don't have our annual demo day this year. I miss the low-cost method of finding new loves.

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier
And I'm so sad that we don't have our annual demo day this year. I miss the low-cost method of finding new loves.

Agreed, this is 2 years in a row we've missed out. That demo day is one of my favorite days of the year. I *really* hope it's back next year.

FlimFlamvanHam

Putting on skis
Skier
Personally I'm crushed they've discontinued the M88... I may find a new 'old' one.

The wonderful thing about Monsters is they have a very long lifespan. There are few skis constructed like the Monsters were. I've even got a set of old previous gen M78's (that I purchased from Dawgcatching here back in 2008!) that easily have over 300 days on them and no shit, I still (effing) love them and marvel at what a fun carver and bump ski they are. A bit less camber but still going strong.

'18 Monster 88's see the most use (by a mile) of my limited quiver. Great ski. And contrary to Blisters published weights my 177's skis came in at 2208 and 2204 grams per ski flat. That's a lot of beef.

Sponsor

Staff online