• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Idahosnow

Putting on skis
Skier
Sun Valley Demo Day:

Me: 5’8” 170 lbs. Upper intermediate skier. Like to ski fast, short and long turns 60/40 groomers.

Conditions: Mostly groomers with snow starting to soften. No recent fresh snow. Each ski was taken on one top to bottom run (over 3k vert) with bumps on the sides.

My usual ski: 2016 Stockli SR 95 (green black and silver one) 174cm

When I arrived, all of the skis I was interested in were out so I grabbed a Volkl Revolt 95 181cm. I’ve been wanting to try more playful skis, so I gave this one a go. This ski was pretty fun. It carved the groomers well, was predictable, and playful in the bumps. I am not a jumper, but this ski had me popping off stuff like my kids do. It was center mounted or very close. They felt very short and I didn’t have the confidence to ski at my typical pace. I would probably get used to that with more time on them. I think this would be a great ski to cruise around with the kids.

Next, I got on the Volkl Mantra M5 177cm. I was instantly comfortable on these skis. For a wide ski, they rip on groomers. I was able to ski short and long turns and anything in between. I felt confident in the bumps. They have great energy and are easy to ski. I would love to spend a day on these.

Being that it was more of a groomer day, I grabbed the Stockli Laser AR 175cm. I had heard good things and wanted to try more of a frontside ski. This ski does not fit my style or skill level. This ski needed speed which I don’t usually mind but I really disliked the tail. It would lock into a turn and was difficult for me to break loose or change my turn radius. I guess I like a looser feel and the ability to scrub speed with a skid or two. They dug trenches when I gave a lot of effort, but these are too demanding for me.

A new (to me) booth drew me in. I tried a Crosson Imperium 177cm. This was a pretty cool carbon ski that was very light. For a 104mm ski, it skied the groomers better than I expected. Definitely, not the right ski for the day though. Off trail, it was a lot of fun. It was close to a center mount, so not my typical ski but very maneuverable. Would love to try these in softer snow.

Nordica Enforcer 100 177cm. was next. This is just a great all around ski. It is easy, predictable, and fun. It skis well on and off the groomers. It feels a tad heavy on my feet but smooths out the bumps nicely. I would happily use this as a one ski quiver.

Next, I wandered over to Kastle and grabbed the new 2020 Kastle 96 HP 181cm. I’ve demoed the older fx95hp and loved it. I’m sure this is a great ski, but I did not get along with it. The tail seems fatter or flatter than the old model. I was again having issues of being locked into a turn and needing too much effort to get the tail to break loose when I wanted. On the plus side, it was lighter than the old version.

I walked back over to the Volkl booth hoping to take the M5 for another spin but it was gone. I hopped on the 177cm. Volkl Kendo. This ski was instantly comfortable and easy for me. They did everything I wanted them to and were fun on and off the trail. These skis felt very lively to me skiing both slow and fast. I would happily ski the Kendo all day long in most conditions.

Today’s demo was a great learning experience for me to be honest with how I ski and recognize my actual skill level. I guess I like skis that are easy and predictable at any speed but hold their own when I get after it. Being completely locked into a turn scares me. The standout ski for me was the M5. I really enjoyed that ski. Next, was the Kendo. I guess I’m a Volkl fanboy. They are not as smooth as my SR 95 but seem to have more energy if that makes sense. They are also lighter. I know the SR95 and M5 would be a lame 2 ski quiver, but I’m seriously considering it.

WadeHoliday

Out on the slopes
SkiTalk Tester
Nice reviews!

I own the Volkl M5 and find it very versatile as well. This new volkl construction is great, it creates skis that are more fun at a variety of speeds and skier weights the Volkls of old, for sure.

I also skied the new Kendo yesterday, and owned last years for a month. Last years was vintage Volkl, and once tuned with my normal tune, was way too demanding, but I think this new one will be sweet! The 3 D sidecut does much of what I also loved about the Kastle fx 95 you mentioned did, a bit slower engagement off piste w/ the 30m radius at the tip, behaved more like kastle taper, and the decreased radius in the tail as released easily and drifted in steeps and bumps at will, but the nice shape under foot carved well. Super fun.

That said, as is so often the case with ski demos, tunes are also key to perceptions....
Volkl stock tunes at 1.25 base bevel and 1.7 side, so pretty friendly right now. The stockli you skied had a radial most likely, 1degree underfoot fading to 1.25tip/tail and 2 degree side, and I believe kastle is a 1/2, so both skis you felt "locked in" on probably had more aggressive tunes...

Cheers!
W

Last edited:
TS
Idahosnow

Idahosnow

Putting on skis
Skier
That said, as is so often the case with ski demos, tunes are also key to perceptions....

Thanks for the thoughts WadeHolidy! I was wondering about tunes. My SR95 is a 1/2 tune (at least it started there) and I don't have any issues. I've also demoed a lot of skis with that tune. Some I've liked and some I haven't. I'm wondering if a detune on the tails of those skis would have helped a bit. I do think you are right though. I once skied 2 different Kendos at the same demo day. They were night and day. One was the Kendo that I love and the other was super demanding with tails that were hard to break loose when wanted.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January