• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Demo Team Tryout thread

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Here's some video. Brian Smith, incumbent and successful.

Bumps performed for MA by another competitor:

Mediums performend for MA by another competitor

Kevin Jordan, new successful member:

Mediums scored for ski:

Lane changes to single foot lane changes to single foot hockey stop scored for ski:

Mediums performed for MA by another competitor:

George Flynn, new successful member:

Mediums performed for MA by another competitor:

Mike

Marathoner

Putting on skis
Skier
What are the duties and responsibilities of the demo team members? How much of a time commitment does the role require when you make it on the team? Is it a paid position?

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
What are the duties and responsibilities of the demo team members? How much of a time commitment does the role require when you make it on the team? Is it a paid position?
Demo team members are looked to to write the educational manuals for the organization, although not all of them are or have been involved. There are significant contributions to the manuals from past members of the teams and non-members have also been highly involved. Kevin Jordan, for example, had a significant role in writing the Freestyle and the new Children's manuals.

They also conduct the national academy and visit a variety of areas, often areas that do not have trainers on staff. They attend Interski every 4 years.

As to the time commitment, I'm not precisely sure, but Mike Rogan asked Kevin if he could commit 40 days to the team.

I'm not sure about the pay, but suspect there is something involved.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I’m somewhat surprised that only 2 from the Eastern division made the team and one of them is a temporary transplant. Has this been the trend in recent years?

jimtransition

Out on the slopes
Skier
I’m somewhat surprised that only 2 from the Eastern division made the team and one of them is a temporary transplant. Has this been the trend in recent years?
The job prospects in the west for professional instructors are much better, I suspect that's a major factor.

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I think it's always been that way. I wonder if altitude plays a factor in it.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Look at where most of the demo team members originally came from. Kevin Jordan was from somewhere in Maine as was Josh Fogg. Wasn’t Rogan from Vermont? I don’t know about the others.

Aspen has been able to attract a lot of talent through pay and the q uality of people there to train with. I suspect Heavenly is the same way. So it isn’t surprising that there are loci where talent is attracted, and many of the successful candidates come from these places.

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
Kevin Jordan, new successful member:

Lane changes to single foot lane changes to single foot hockey stop scored for ski:

Mike
Superb video, them all, but the one above hit me hard and to quote, turning into positive, one of Shania Twain old hits, "that impressed me much!" Wow, just..wow.
(One legged skiing has been my "bete noire" when I started, not that now I am good at it, in truth I still suck, thus a video like the one above immediately catches my attention and stands out, these times)

Sponsor

Staff online