• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Denver To Telluride Road Ramble?

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We are going to the Telluride Blues and Brews Fest. September 17 !!!

Flying into Denver on the 12th. and renting a car. Where should we go? What should we do? Where should we stay? As we work our way towards Telluride.

Hiking, mountain biking, sights, towns, routes?

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Good idea to do your homework. And stay flexible. We just drove from UT to VA via CO, NM, and I40 through Memphis, Nashville, etc. Took seven days. Perhaps some of below will be germane to your trip.

I hope to do a trip report because we took four really nice scenic drives out west during the first part of the trip in UT, CO and NM. Only one (Canyonlands Natl Park) was firmly preplanned. For the other three (Colorado National Monument, Independence Pass, and Capulin Volcano Natl Monument) I had done minimal investigation and they ended up being excellent activities.

Beware of National Parks. They can be great, but they can be really crowded this year with pent up demand. We had a great and low crowd visit to Canyonlands at 6-9PM.
k cnp verga.jpg

start of grandview trail.jpg

We got turned away from Arches at 10AM the next day (Friday before Memorial Day Weekend), too crowded. Our next planned destination was to spend a couple of days in Aspen, so I had a vague backup plan to do the scenic drive at Colorado National Monument near Grand Junction on the way to Aspen CO Monument turned out to be a really a nice plan B, with low crowds, great views, memorable roadway, and easy hiking trails.
kathy colorado monument 28 may 2021.jpg

co mon road tunnel.jpg

After Aspen we took the summer-only road over Independence Pass for a scenic route to begin our drive to the East Coast. It was really nice too. We stopped at a picnic area called Grottos and stumbled on a beautiful waterfall/cascade by dumb luck.
indy pass cascade selfie best.jpg

View east from Indy Pass:
indy pass view east 30May2021.jpg

On the same day we did Indy Pass, we were making our way east and when passing by Capulin National Monument, NM we decided to check it out. It was a memorable last taste of western mtns before hitting the high plains of NM and west Texas.
capulin volcano lot.jpg

capulin volcano 30May2021.jpg

It helps to have a National Parks senior or annual pass as the parks and monuments have a $20-30 entry fee.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
We are going to the Telluride Blues and Brews Fest. September 17 !!!

Flying into Denver on the 12th. and renting a car. Where should we go? What should we do? Where should we stay? As we work our way towards Telluride.

Hiking, mountain biking, sights, towns, routes?

Ive done the drive to T Ride a few times. Its awesome.

So much to do all over.

If you like MTB bikes a lot I would head over to Golden and check out the Yeti bike headquarters. You can rent a demo bike for a few hours and go ride nearby. Or you can head over to Winter Park and rent bike theres and ride Trestle Bike Park if its open. After that just head over to Buena Vista and do the Monarch Crest Trail with https://www.absolutebikes.com/local-trail-conditions/.

If you are not solid MTBers and really hard core MTB enthusiasts AVOID all that.

In Denver I would go to the Breck Brewery Farmhouse (in Littleton) for lunch and have dinner at Sushi Den. The Union Station area is a must to check out in the evenings as well. Stopping at the Rei flagship store is a must do while in town. Its awesome.

I would take a day to drive over to Telluride stopping at the True Grit in Ridgway for some food along the way. The scenery is amazing that time of year.

TS
Crank

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thanks @Jim Kenney and @Ken_R.

Beautiful pics as always Jim. Ken I am an intermediate mountain biker and ok with tech. Robin is more novice and gets off and walks over most real techy stuff. We did Moab for 5 days before our last trip to Telluride Blues and Brews in 2018. Did not ride super technical trails but went for some really nice long rides.

The Monarch Crest Trail looks like it would be perfect for us. Trails near us are rockier and rootier than most stuff I have ridden out west.

If memory serves there is a growing MTB trail system in Ridgeway? We also rented bikes in Telluride.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Thanks @Jim Kenney and @Ken_R.

Beautiful pics as always Jim. Ken I am an intermediate mountain biker and ok with tech. Robin is more novice and gets off and walks over most real techy stuff. We did Moab for 5 days before our last trip to Telluride Blues and Brews in 2018. Did not ride super technical trails but went for some really nice long rides.

The Monarch Crest Trail looks like it would be perfect for us. Trails near us are rockier and rootier than most stuff I have ridden out west.

If memory serves there is a growing MTB trail system in Ridgeway? We also rented bikes in Telluride.

I have heard that Ridgeway now has a bunch of cool trails for MTBing. I have not been on them though. You will love the flow trails at Winter Park (Trestle). They are very easy unless you go stupid fast. There is some tech there that can be avoided if you want and some high drops that can also be avoided no problem. They really have some awesome bikes for rent so no need to take your own.

I have not been on the Crest Trail but have been in the area a few times and it is stunning. The crest trail is best late summer so your timing is good. You might get some snow on the peaks by then but the ground is warm enough still that it should not stick around long below 12k feet. Trail conditions do vary year to year so check the absolute bikes site or call them before committing.

You can also drive west to Mesa / GJ and ride this awesome new trail: https://www.copmoba.org/palisade-plunge

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
In Buena Vista check out Eddyline Brewing for beer and food. If you'd like a more mild bike trail there Midland Bike Trail follow a former narrow guage railroad and has some fun but not technical areas although the gullies that used to have bridges over them can get a bit punchy.

If you like goat dairy then check out https://www.jumpingoodgoats.com/.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh, if you go up I-70 the mountain bike trails in Eagle are a blast but it can brutally hot there so watch temps.

Sponsor