• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Detailing 101-A day in the life of a detailer

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
With so many car buffs on this site, I thought I would go through the steps of a typical interior/exterior detail of mine with tips for more basic details along the way. I'm a mobile detailer, so I show up at the person's house with all my gear and only require a water hose outlet and hydro to do my thing. I have a 2018 Mini JCW 3 Door Hatchback(which basically a box) so it stores a surprising amount of gear when packed properly. This is my gear unloaded at the customer's house to start the day which is 9am most days.

679DDEE9-3DC8-45E5-AD32-B3078DC8E0E1.jpeg

I always start with the interior detail in the driveway for better lighting and carpet drying with a move inside the garage after washing to polish and coat the exterior. I first remove the floor mats out of the car along with any garbage and give the interior a vac(floor mats outside of the car if they are carpet). I use a Rigid(Home Depot) vac but a similar Shop vac would be fine too. I have an assortment of hose ends for the vac with the rubber straw-like VaccUFlex one being great for hard to reach places. I also use various brushes to loosen dirt(dimpled rubber gloves de-static pet hair and scrapper for salt stains) before vacuuming. I usually vac an area and then hit with a brush of some kind to loosen any remaining dirt or hair(like in the seat crevices and cup holders).

Vac and assorted interior brushes
3BBAA02D-4AD1-412F-90E8-83554AFCDB96.jpeg

Once the interior and carpet mats are done, I then use my heated carpet extractor which shoots heated water into the carpet like an mini power washer and sucks up the dirty water. I pre-treat dirty areas(driver floor and pedals, cup holders and floor mats) with a degreaser like Simple Green first while the extractor heats up and go over those areas with a brush. A dedicated salt spray or 1/2 vinegar and water mix to pretreat salt stains followed by HOT water to dissolve. A wet vac could be used or a Bissel Green Machine is even better for doing carpets and seats with it's built in spray. Again the flexible hose is used on the extractor for sucking up water in hard to reach spots.

Heated portable extractor
53367440-C4A9-4BFD-A62A-D8E799A91739.jpeg

After the carpets are dry and wet cleaned where needed, I then start on all the interior surfaces and leather/vinyl seats. I use all the same brushes in the vacuuming steps in this step along with a Magic eraser and a lint free microfibre cloth. I then 1/2 fill up a bucket with just water and then another pail with a mix of water(70%) and Leather & vinyl cleaner/conditioner(30%). I use an Optimum Protectant Plus for this but there are lots of great ones out there.

FFEEC344-14E8-4420-86B3-990E4CDFCBF8.jpeg

All My brushes and Magic Eraser I put in the "rinse" bucket of just water and then dip the brushes into the conditioner mix before going over the various surfaces. The brushes and cloth are rinsed in the plain water pail and then dipped into the "mixed" pail after every use.
Lightly brush the various crevices in the dash, doors, seats with your brushes dipped in the mixed water and then wipe over those areas with the microfibre cloth(that is also dipped and then wrung).
I usually start with the vents which I will sometimes lightly spray in some conditioner or even tire foam if they are really dusty, use a vent brush(or paint brush) and then wipe with your cloth. I then hit the vents with a leaf blower or compressed air to move any standing water and again wipe with the cloth.

The biggest thing with interiors is to be sure to hit all the panel gaps, seat stitching etc with a wet brush before wiping down. Don't be afraid to get leather seats and door panels wet as they are easily wiped dry with your cloth. A pretreat of degreaser can be used on dirty door handles or leather seats before hitting with a brush and the Magic Erasers are great for shoe scuff marks on plastic door sills.
After all the interior has been gone over, I then hit the interior glass if the doors windows have frames(frameless I'll wait till I do the exterior). I use 2 glass specific towels with one fairly damp and follow with the second one more lightly misted with an ammonia free window Cleaner like Invisible Glass. I first lower the widows down 1/3 so I can wipe the very top of all the windows. Then I go over the sunroof, vanity and main windows and gauges with the two cloths but find some touch screens clean better with a traditional plush microfibre sprayed lightly with the glass cleaner.
Most cars take me about 3 hours to do all the above steps and it's about 4 hours on a mid size SUV.

As far as "game changer" tools go for even a DIY detailer, a power washer, a leaf blower/dryer and random orbital polisher have to be the top choices on an exterior. I have to always show up to customers homes with a clean car so my car is cleaned every single night when I come home from work. With a power washer permanently attached to a garage hose and a 12amp leaf blower, an exterior wash and dry takes me less than 15 mins. Spray with power washer, leaf blower almost all the water off and then mist the car and a microfibre cloth with Instant Detailer spray and wipe dry.

With a customers exterior, I will start with cleaning the rubber floor mats with my power washer, degreaser spray(and sometimes some Vim) and hit with brush. Rinse with power washer, spray off standing water with leaf blower and dry any remaining water with a cloth. Next I hit the engine bay. With modern engines covered in plastic covers, the water risk of hitting sensitive areas has been hugely reduced. I make sure all caps are tight within the engine bay and spray degreaser or Rust Proof Removal spray on really oily areas or oil guard overspray. I go over the hood and engine with the power washer to rinse off and then dry off any standing water with the leaf blower. Then I spray tire foam over the engines plastic and rubber hoses avoiding any belts and again use the leaf blower to remove any standing foam or water. Wipe any uneven remaining spray with a microfibre(will use the same cloth on wheels later) and you're done. Modern engines take about 2 mins to do and sometimes get the biggest reaction of the day from customers. lol

I then use the power washer on the exterior starting with the front of the car and work my way around the vehicle. Once you work back around to the front again, the soaked bug marks are easier to remove. I usually open the doors and spray the very bottom of the door frames and the side of the door sills being careful not to spray the interior.
Very dirty vehicles can be foamed to loosen dirt or I will sometimes spray degreaser or tar removers on areas that are visibly dirty. 2 Buckets of water are filled, one being the rinse bucket and the other being the car soap wash bucket. Since I'm trying to remove any remaining wax off the vehicle, I use dish detergent in my wash bucket but for regular maintenance washes, use the milder car soap. I start with the front of the vehicle with a bug sponge (if there are any remaining) and then use a plush wash mitt for the rest of the car. Use your mitt dipped into the soapy water over the roof and work your way down from there. I do the bottom of the doors(especially behind the front wheel) very last and usually with a separate mitt dedicated for that as it will be the dirties area of the car. I hit one panel at a time with the soapy mitt and then power wash the mitt clean, a quick rinse in the clear water bucket and then into the soapy water again for the next panel. You always want to make sure the mitt is grit free before hitting the car again and many wash buckets have "grit guards" to make sure the grit stays below where the mitt can reach. After I initially go over the vehicle, it's very common to see lots of tiny orange oxidation spots on the sides and back. These are caused by the "semi metallic" brake pads sending out a metallic dust when braking and this dust latches onto the paint and oxidizes. Heavier SUVs and Teslas usually have very metallic brake pads and oxidation spots show up more on lighter colours. A clay bar will get this off with lots of work but the dedicated iron removers work much quicker and easier. Once I have washed and removed all oxidation spots on the entire vehicle, I rinse it off and then leaf blower and towel dry to prevent water spots.

Similar to the interior, wheels are all about brushes. I spray degreaser on the wheels, callipers and wheel wells then use all the various brushes dipped in the soapy water bucket to loosen the dirt. Iron remover is again used to pretreat the wheels when you can see orange dust on them. Rinse with the power washer and leaf blower to dry them off.
I then use a ultra fine 0000 steel wool on the exhaust tips to remove soot.

Wheel brushes
3CB20718-E583-4B25-B052-D8BB384F38AB.jpeg

The car is then pulled into the garage where I will lube the surface with instant detailer and use a clay bar to remove any remaining contaminates on the paint and exterior windows. After drying the car, I will tape off any rubber or plastic trim to protect the from buffer damage and to quicken cleanup.
With most cars I am doing 1 step of machine(random orbital) applied compound polish with a second step of finishing wax(mild polish with wax) or a finishing polish if I'm ceramic coating the car. Foggy headlights or deeper scratches may get hit with wet sandpaper first followed by a more aggressive compound on a rotary polisher.
Todays compound/polishes combined with higher quality foam pads and random orbital machines make it much safer for beginners at home as well as saving time for pros. You can now get better results in 2 steps than you could in 3 steps of polishing 20 years ago.
A foam cutting pad is used with the compound polish and then a less aggressive polishing pad is used with the milder finishing wax or polish.

Towel, wash mitts, buffing pads, various polishes and Rotary(top) and random orbital buffers.
32185E49-3D99-443E-B1FF-88AA5E20168C.jpeg
Clay bar, Compound/polish, final wax and polish and ceramic coating with their application pads.

1A550EDA-6D2D-401E-BB20-581E3EB81410.jpeg

After the car receives it's second coat of polish, the tape is removed from the trim and I take the car outside for a power wash to remove all the compound dust from polishing and back inside after leaf blowing dry. Now I wipe down the door jams, dress the tires, lower trim and wheel wells with long lasting oil based tire shine and clean the exterior windows. Water spots on the windows received a water spot remover or they get hit with 3000 grit wet sand paper to clear. Final wipe down with a microfibre and I'm done for the day. If I'm applying ceramic coating I would do now.

Total time is about 7-8 hours for a car and 8-9 hours for an SUV. Add another 45 mins for ceramic coating at the end of the day.

Any questions about the process or life in general, let me know!

Greg

Last edited:

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
so little gear!?

you put us home guys to shame with our gear buying.

I did my cayenne on monday since we are going to a wedding this weekend, It then rain/hail storm before I got a chance to put it in the garage after drying with air..... (80volt stiga leaf blower) and since I havent gotten my new garage yet I couldnt dry it inside the garage....

also iron remover = fart spray

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So impressive. I've got to find a Greg K in my area.

Donning interweb search uniform........

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
so little gear!?

you put us home guys to shame with our gear buying.

I did my cayenne on monday since we are going to a wedding this weekend, It then rain/hail storm before I got a chance to put it in the garage after drying with air..... (80volt stiga leaf blower) and since I havent gotten my new garage yet I couldnt dry it inside the garage....

also iron remover = fart spray
Have about 4 times that amount of gear and back up supplies at home in my garage and basement. Buy many of my supplies in 20litre/5 gallon containers left at home and just fill my containers as needed.

Always get nervous when my car isn’t in a garage and there’s a chance of hail. Have been lucky so far in my life!

What’s with the fart spray comment? People trying that on paint now?

Iron removers have been around forever and I use one more formulated for removing oxidation on wheels but diluted works great on paint. Cost me next to nothing too.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
With so many car buffs on this site, I thought I would go through the steps of a typical interior/exterior detail of mine with tips for more basic details along the way. I'm a mobile detailer, so I show up at the person's house with all my gear and only require a water hose outlet and hydro to do my thing. I have a 2018 Mini JCW 3 Door Hatchback(which basically a box) so it stores a surprising amount of gear when packed properly. This is my gear unloaded at the customer's house to start the day which is 9am most days.

View attachment 171428

I always start with the interior detail in the driveway for better lighting and carpet drying with a move inside the garage after washing to polish and coat the exterior. I first remove the floor mats out of the car along with any garbage and give the interior a vac(floor mats outside of the car if they are carpet). I use a Rigid(Home Depot) vac but a similar Shop vac would be fine too. I have an assortment of hose ends for the vac with the rubber straw-like VaccUFlex one being great for hard to reach places. I also use various brushes to loosen dirt(dimpled rubber gloves de-static pet hair and scrapper for salt stains) before vacuuming. I usually vac an area and then hit with a brush of some kind to loosen any remaining dirt or hair(like in the seat crevices and cup holders).

Vac and assorted interior brushes
View attachment 171430

Once the interior and carpet mats are done, I then use my heated carpet extractor which shoots heated water into the carpet like an mini power washer and sucks up the dirty water. I pre-treat dirty areas(driver floor and pedals, cup holders and floor mats) with a degreaser like Simple Green first while the extractor heats up and go over those areas with a brush. A dedicated salt spray or 1/2 vinegar and water mix to pretreat salt stains followed by HOT water to dissolve. A wet vac could be used or a Bissel Green Machine is even better for doing carpets and seats with it's built in spray. Again the flexible hose is used on the extractor for sucking up water in hard to reach spots.

Heated portable extractor
View attachment 171434

After the carpets are dry and wet cleaned where needed, I then start on all the interior surfaces and leather/vinyl seats. I use all the same brushes in the vacuuming steps in this step along with a Magic eraser and a lint free microfibre cloth. I then 1/2 fill up a bucket with just water and then another pail with a mix of water(70%) and Leather & vinyl cleaner/conditioner(30%). I use an Optimum Protectant Plus for this but there are lots of great ones out there.

View attachment 171433

All My brushes and Magic Eraser I put in the "rinse" bucket of just water and then dip the brushes into the conditioner mix before going over the various surfaces. The brushes and cloth are rinsed in the plain water pail and then dipped into the "mixed" pail after every use.
Lightly brush the various crevices in the dash, doors, seats with your brushes dipped in the mixed water and then wipe over those areas with the microfibre cloth(that is also dipped and then wrung).
I usually start with the vents which I will sometimes lightly spray in some conditioner or even tire foam if they are really dusty, use a vent brush(or paint brush) and then wipe with your cloth. I then hit the vents with a leaf blower or compressed air to move any standing water and again wipe with the cloth.

The biggest thing with interiors is to be sure to hit all the panel gaps, seat stitching etc with a wet brush before wiping down. Don't be afraid to get leather seats and door panels wet as they are easily wiped dry with your cloth. A pretreat of degreaser can be used on dirty door handles or leather seats before hitting with a brush and the Magic Erasers are great for shoe scuff marks on plastic door sills.
After all the interior has been gone over, I then hit the interior glass if the doors windows have frames(frameless I'll wait till I do the exterior). I use 2 glass specific towels with one fairly damp and follow with the second one more lightly misted with an ammonia free window Cleaner like Invisible Glass. I first lower the widows down 1/3 so I can wipe the very top of all the windows. Then I go over the sunroof, vanity and main windows and gauges with the two cloths but find some touch screens clean better with a traditional plush microfibre sprayed lightly with the glass cleaner.
Most cars take me about 3 hours to do all the above steps and it's about 4 hours on a mid size SUV.

As far as "game changer" tools go for even a DIY detailer, a power washer, a leaf blower/dryer and random orbital polisher have to be the top choices on an exterior. I have to always show up to customers homes with a clean car so my car is cleaned every single night when I come home from work. With a power washer permanently attached to a garage hose and a 12amp leaf blower, an exterior wash and dry takes me less than 15 mins. Spray with power washer, leaf blower almost all the water off and then mist the car and a microfibre cloth with Instant Detailer spray and wipe dry.

With a customers exterior, I will start with cleaning the rubber floor mats with my power washer, degreaser spray(and sometimes some Vim) and hit with brush. Rinse with power washer, spray off standing water with leaf blower and dry any remaining water with a cloth. Next I hit the engine bay. With modern engines covered in plastic covers, the water risk of hitting sensitive areas has been hugely reduced. I make sure all caps are tight within the engine bay and spray degreaser or Rust Proof Removal spray on really oily areas or oil guard overspray. I go over the hood and engine with the power washer to rinse off and then dry off any standing water with the leaf blower. Then I spray tire foam over the engines plastic and rubber hoses avoiding any belts and again use the leaf blower to remove any standing foam or water. Wipe any uneven remaining spray with a microfibre(will use the same cloth on wheels later) and you're done. Modern engines take about 2 mins to do and sometimes get the biggest reaction of the day from customers. lol

I then use the power washer on the exterior starting with the front of the car and work my way around the vehicle. Once you work back around to the front again, the soaked bug marks are easier to remove. I usually open the doors and spray the very bottom of the door frames and the side of the door sills being careful not to spray the interior.
Very dirty vehicles can be foamed to loosen dirt or I will sometimes spray degreaser or tar removers on areas that are visibly dirty. 2 Buckets of water are filled, one being the rinse bucket and the other being the car soap wash bucket. Since I'm trying to remove any remaining wax off the vehicle, I use dish detergent in my wash bucket but for regular maintenance washes, use the milder car soap. I start with the front of the vehicle with a bug sponge (if there are any remaining) and then use a plush wash mitt for the rest of the car. Use your mitt dipped into the soapy water over the roof and work your way down from there. I do the bottom of the doors(especially behind the front wheel) very last and usually with a separate mitt dedicated for that as it will be the dirties area of the car. I hit one panel at a time with the soapy mitt and then power wash the mitt clean, a quick rinse in the clear water bucket and then into the soapy water again for the next panel. You always want to make sure the mitt is grit free before hitting the car again and many wash buckets have "grit guards" to make sure the grit stays below where the mitt can reach. After I initially go over the vehicle, it's very common to see lots of tiny orange oxidation spots on the sides and back. These are caused by the "semi metallic" brake pads sending out a metallic dust when braking and this dust latches onto the paint and oxidizes. Heavier SUVs and Teslas usually have very metallic brake pads and oxidation spots show up more on lighter colours. A clay bar will get this off with lots of work but the dedicated iron removers work much quicker and easier. Once I have washed and removed all oxidation spots on the entire vehicle, I rinse it off and then leaf blower and towel dry to prevent water spots.

Similar to the interior, wheels are all about brushes. I spray degreaser on the wheels, callipers and wheel wells then use all the various brushes dipped in the soapy water bucket to loosen the dirt. Iron remover is again used to pretreat the wheels when you can see orange dust on them. Rinse with the power washer and leaf blower to dry them off.
I then use a ultra fine 0000 steel wool on the exhaust tips to remove soot.

Wheel brushes
View attachment 171429

The car is then pulled into the garage where I will lube the surface with instant detailer and use a clay bar to remove any remaining contaminates on the paint and exterior windows. After drying the car, I will tape off any rubber or plastic trim to protect the from buffer damage and to quicken cleanup.
With most cars I am doing 1 step of machine(random orbital) applied compound polish with a second step of finishing wax(mild polish with wax) or a finishing polish if I'm ceramic coating the car. Foggy headlights or deeper scratches may get hit with wet sandpaper first followed by a more aggressive compound on a rotary polisher.
Todays compound/polishes combined with higher quality foam pads and random orbital machines make it much safer for beginners at home as well as saving time for pros. You can now get better results in 2 steps than you could in 3 steps of polishing 20 years ago.
A foam cutting pad is used with the compound polish and then a less aggressive polishing pad is used with the milder finishing wax or polish.

Towel, wash mitts, buffing pads, various polishes and Rotary(top) and random orbital buffers.
View attachment 171431
Clay bar, Compound/polish, final wax and polish and ceramic coating with their application pads.

View attachment 171432

After the car receives it's second coat of polish, the tape is removed from the trim and I take the car outside for a power wash to remove all the compound dust from polishing and back inside after leaf blowing dry. Now I wipe down the door jams, dress the tires, lower trim and wheel wells with long lasting oil based tire shine and clean the exterior windows. Water spots on the windows received a water spot remover or they get hit with 3000 grit wet sand paper to clear. Final wipe down with a microfibre and I'm done for the day. If I'm applying ceramic coating I would do now.

Total time is about 7-8 hours for a car and 8-9 hours for an SUV. Add another 45 mins for ceramic coating at the end of the day.

Any questions about the process or life in general, let me know!

Greg
I was thinking about this tonight, having just picked up my car with new engine parts, but still looking grubby. Bottom line, it's a ton of work even with all the right tools and supplies and knowledge. Makes sense that people charge a lot for the service.

James

Out There
Instructor
Nice, thanks!
Going to have to go through this later.
Question- is that fog film on inside of windshields from outgassing plastic and say armorall used?

Save your ears and get a quiet vac! Makes me cringe looking at that thing, can hear it through the web.
Nilfisk, (new on me), Alto, Festool, Fein. Though it is somewhat hard to get that form factor you have.
This Nilfisk is 11.5 lbs, 50db for sound! Meaning you could carry on a conversation while vacuuming.

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
Favorite car to detail?
Least favorite car to detail?

:)

For me:
Miata...it's so small!
Wrangler Unlimited...it's so damn big!!

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Nice, thanks!
Going to have to go through this later.
Question- is that fog film on inside of windshields from outgassing plastic and say armorall used?

Save your ears and get a quiet vac! Makes me cringe looking at that thing, can hear it through the web.
Nilfisk, (new on me), Alto, Festool, Fein. Though it is somewhat hard to get that form factor you have.
This Nilfisk is 11.5 lbs, 50db for sound! Meaning you could carry on a conversation while vacuuming.

Windows can get foggy in new cars but most of the off gassing will be gone after about 6 months after build date. Most new cars are usually already a good chunk of that by the time you get delivery so it should just be bad the first few months of ownership. Front window will always be the worst with all that plastic right below it.
Armour All shouldn’t effect this but not a fan of it as I’ve always found it too shiny and slippery. What I use or 303 would give a matte, factory finish and would add protection especially when diluted like I do.

That vac is only about 9db quieter than mine with the muffler added. They are using “sound power” at 50 db instead of “sound pressure” of 69 db in much of the online literature. A weighted Sound pressure on mine is 78db and doesn’t have bags which is a must as I have to check I didn’t vac up something important after every car. More than a few rings/earrings etc sucked up under seats over the years.

I wear ear plugs all day when I work as I’ve always got machines on the go. Try my best to mute the sounds of my gear the best I can to not annoy the neighbours. Putting vacs and power washers on rugs or lawns will mute the sound a bit. I’m still usually way quieter than the landscaping and building crews that seems to be constantly around me in the neighborhoods I work in. Lol

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I am curious. For your repeat customers how often do they have you detail their car?
Most of my customers are once a year but have a few that get a Spring and Fall detail if the vehicle is driven heavily all year.
Have many families with multiple cars and kids with their cars that I do every year. Starting one family next week that I do 9 of their vehicles every year, so that’s 9 days a year for one family. Another Family of 6 cars after that. Lol

Have some customers of Sports cars that just get the exterior done every other year with ceramic coating to freshen it up and they maintain the interior themselves.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks Greg! A few questions:

1. You feel there’s a material difference between involving water in the inside vents versus working a vac with a brush attachment in there?
2. The iron remover and degreaser won’t interfere with ceramic coatings?
3. Have you though about a de-ionizer for the rinse? I have that and never need to towel, sometimes a blower.
4. Is the power washer safe with PPF? (Paint protective film)

The steel wool and sandpaper is above my pay grade, it would freak me out. I’m sure you have it down.

Love the 303, been saving things with it for years.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Favorite car to detail?
Least favorite car to detail?

:)

For me:
Miata...it's so small!
Wrangler Unlimited...it's so damn big!!
Favourite cars to detail are brand new sports cars that have almost nothing to do on the inside to look great and the exterior needs very little work before I apply protection. Done mid afternoon and the customer is floored.
Basically the opposite of an average Black Escalade(they are ALWAYS black) that is filthy and takes 10 plus hours to look good and will be filthy within a week again. Any car owner with a Jack Russel is usually a bad day as their fur are a nightmare to remove from many carpets.
Find I do fewer and fewer filthy cars when you start charging more money though or estimate really high prices to do it. Haha

Miatas like many small cars are sometimes deceiving as they come to me as “it’s never been detailed” and every nock and cranny is dirty and dusty. The NA and many NB were single stage paint with no clear coat, so you’d go through about 20-30 buffing pads as you polish off the oxidized top layer of paint. Look great when they are done though! No more orange red, they are RED RED!
3A26CA77-A4F9-4863-A4F1-B5560E9F3FD7.jpeg
F64276BE-72C0-40B0-802D-305D755EA5C2.jpeg

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Thanks Greg! A few questions:

1. You feel there’s a material difference between involving water in the inside vents versus working a vac with a brush attachment in there?
2. The iron remover and degreaser won’t interfere with ceramic coatings?
3. Have you though about a de-ionizer for the rinse? I have that and never need to towel, sometimes a blower.
4. Is the power washer safe with PPF? (Paint protective film)

The steel wool and sandpaper is above my pay grade, it would freak me out. I’m sure you have it down.

Love the 303, been saving things with it for years.
1. If the surface is really dusty, it’s better to use even just water and a soft brush on the surface. On a fairly clean car, you could definitely get away with just a dry brush on it. Maybe a few times a year, hit it wet to more thoroughly clean it.

2. There will still be ceramic coating on the surface after degreasers or iron removers but would usually remove any wax. Even a light polish on fairly recent ceramic would still leave protection on it. Heavy polish on deep swirls I’d usually re-apply ceramic in that area.

3. I rinse and dry most vehicles in a couple minutes with the leaf blower and microfibre towels but have definitely run into hard water or rusted pipe issues at a few houses over the years. Some forgot to turn on their well filtering systems and cause water spots within seconds! if I had water like that in more houses or my own, I’d definitely run something on the rinse water. Luckily a rare issue within town where I now work exclusively.

4. PPF is very robust and can be power washed and even machine polished to remove swirls in it. I run a 1600-1800psi machine with a green 25 degree spray which is pretty safe on most surfaces.
Using a more powerful gas unit with a yellow(15 degree) or especially red(0) spray end would be much more likely to cause issues with rubber trim pieces and sticker edges. I would use the more gentle white(40 degree) nozzles on those.

When buying my last Mini, I saw one that had multiple cuts in the hood stripes and roof trim and I’m sure he used the red or yellow spray ends up close on them. I passed….

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice detailed writeup. Thanks for sharing.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Forgot to mention that I usually wear rubber gloves for most of the day as some polishing compounds, harsher wheel cleaners, hot extractor water etc aren’t fun on bare hands. Always wear either sunglasses or safety glasses too while I work.

@James also reminded me that when I can at the customers and always at home, I put my power washer with a 50’ wand hose near the edge of the garage and close the door while washing in the driveway. Then I use the leaf blower to dry in my closed garage with hearing protection on so the neighbours don’t hear my daily 10 mins washes.

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
Do you have any advice on finding/vetting a good detailer? Also, can you give a ballpark range of what we should expect to pay once we find one? Even with the expected NYC upcharging, and the work/time that goes into a good detailing, I’ve been surprised at the cost of some of the detailers around here.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Do you have any advice on finding/vetting a good detailer? Also, can you give a ballpark range of what we should expect to pay once we find one? Even with the expected NYC upcharging, and the work/time that goes into a good detailing, I’ve been surprised at the cost of some of the detailers around here.
Anytime you have large overhead in rent(especially NYC!), insurance for building and employees, the products themselves it would be tough I bet to find inexpensive detailing there.

I’m sure there are people out there like myself who are mobile(but with insurance) that would have a fraction of the overhead of a fixed location place. The thing with larger detailing places, only the owner is making big money as the detailers within the shop are making $20 hour maybe these days yet the shop charges $100 plus an hour. Have met many detailers who work in a shop during the week and then work for themselves on the weekend. They don’t have the clientele list yet to go on their own yet but would still do great work for very reasonable rates.
I bill at $50 an hour with things like ceramic coating an up charge.

People like this may advertise on Kijiji or Craigslist and if they are legit would happily discuss any questions you might have. They would be able to show their work, talk to any existing clients or even stop by while they are detailing. Car clubs are another good source for leads as they usually know “a guy” or two who has detailed some of the members vehicles.
I’m going to a Cars and Coffee this Sunday at a Porsche dealership and will know a ton of the people there and guarantee I will be asked “if I can do their buddies car” more than a few times!

Another idea is if you’re even somewhat handy and adapt at learning, is to buy some basic detailing tools and do it yourself! I had a friend’s son buy a used Mini Cooper S in Toronto last year and every detail there seemed to be $1k plus with another $500-$1k for ceramic coating. He got about $350-$400 in equipment with my direction, some video learning and internet searching and now LOVES detailing his car.
There are lots of similar websites like this one for detailing with lots of experts willing to answer questions.

Sponsor

Staff online