• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Detailing 101-A day in the life of a detailer

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
What do you like for black plastic trim? I’ve had the best luck with 303 and Black Again. I do the rubber around the windows and the back of the wiper blades too.

On some cars (especially white ones), this is the #1 most important step.

My favorite car to wash is a 911. Small and smooth. Very few nooks and crannies.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I am curious what product do you like to use to make sure everything is off the surface before ceramic coating?
After compounding/1st stage of polishing, I use the power washer to remove all the dust from crevices and aid in removal of remaining compound on the painted surfaces. Leaf blower to remove most of the standing water and microfibre used to dry is damp. Same thing after the next polishing step or if I use a finishing polish/wax.
Using a dish soap wash during the power wash rinse after polishing steps are usually more than enough to remove remaining wax/fillers.

You could use isopropyl alcohol to really clean the surface before ceramic coating but the polishes I’m usually using don’t have glaze/fillers.

I can power wash/leaf blower and hand dry in minutes and find it’s less abrasive than using brushes around emblems. I still use super soft brushes on stubborn ones that previous wax jobs have left dried up wax on.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
What do you like for black plastic trim? I’ve had the best luck with 303 and Black Again. I do the rubber around the windows and the back of the wiper blades too.
303 and Black Again are water based products so they are perfect for upper trim/wipers or interiors but for tires and lower plastic trim, I use oil/solvent based tire shine as they last much longer. I go through so much of it that I buy those in 5 gallon containers. Most oil/solvent based tire shines usually will hype up “long lasting” in their descriptions.

Would be too greasy/slippery to use on interiors though, so I use water based products there.

silverback

Skier
I use Duragloss TRD for tires. Not too shiny and doesn’t seem to pick up dust. Doesn’t last too long but better than some.

silverback

Skier
Switching to ceramic brake pads is the game changer on get rid of brake dust as well as eliminating any chance of the oxidation spots getting on the wheels and the car itself. Have run ceramic pads for the last 10 years and my wheels never look dusty now. Same price as traditional semi metallic pads so an easy upgrade when it comes to having your brakes done.

Ceramic brake rotors are even better. Expensive but I haven’t touched my wheels in 75,000 miles. Just spray P21s on and spray off. They never even look dirty, even when the rest of the car does.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
The tungsten carbide rotors that Porsche has are also fantastic for low dust and keeping the wheels clean.

silverback

Skier
Good use of new technology. Wish I had them back in the day. Dust and squealing were constant annoyances. Miss that car though. Detailing and driving.

08C0F5A9-0DC0-44E2-8AD5-14DE63716B13.jpeg

Last edited:

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
@GregK Im not a detailer but run a one man biz working on houses, and I’m always curious how other folks do the nuts and bolts behind the scenes work. Really interested when the scope of work isn’t related to my own!

What are you using for scheduling? I manually enter/review my ical on the phone/laptop. But there can be alot of wasted time going back and forth trying to find agreeable times for meetings with a customer. Keeping on top of scheduling is a pita for me. Im kinda thinking of doing some online service like calendly.

How about keeping up with inquiries? Between the quantity of voicemails, emails and text messages I receive, I know Im dropping some balls.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
@GregK thanks for sharing all your trade secrets this has been an interesting read. Has the leaf blower given you any issues with the windshield wipers?

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
@GregK Im not a detailer but run a one man biz working on houses, and I’m always curious how other folks do the nuts and bolts behind the scenes work. Really interested when the scope of work isn’t related to my own!

What are you using for scheduling? I manually enter/review my ical on the phone/laptop. But there can be alot of wasted time going back and forth trying to find agreeable times for meetings with a customer. Keeping on top of scheduling is a pita for me. Im kinda thinking of doing some online service like calendly.

How about keeping up with inquiries? Between the quantity of voicemails, emails and text messages I receive, I know Im dropping some balls.
Honestly, I’m old school as well just using written daily calendars for scheduling. Most of my customers are regulars who “always want their cars done in June” etc so I used to be able to schedule most of the season before it even started.
Weather is my biggest reason for rescheduling if the customer doesn’t have a large garage when rain is coming. In contact with the customers on the weekend before the week in case weather is looking iffy.
Rare that a customer doesn’t take the day I scheduled ahead of time as I know their preferences for days of the week or months that work best for them. Have some customers that aren’t even home when I work at their place so any day works for them. They just take the car I’m not working on that day.

Had a “cancellation list” going as well for add ons but with so many booked regulars that I didn’t usually get at all of them by the end of the year.

Now that I’m phasing into retirement, I’m enjoying telling potential new customers with nightmare sounding details, that “I’m unable to fit them in this year”. Great feeling! Haha

So, I’m of little help I think as far a scheduling as mine is pretty easy really.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
@GregK thanks for sharing all your trade secrets this has been an interesting read. Has the leaf blower given you any issues with the windshield wipers?
Actually, the leaf blower is great at removing the standing water on wipers especially if they are metal ones with holes in them. Usually will still snap them down after using the leaf blower when drying to make sure all the excess water is off along with wiping the blades clean.

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
Any suggestions for glossy piano black interior trim? Even IF I manage to get it clean, it starts showing swirls and fingerprints within a day.

Uncle-A

Skier
Any suggestions for glossy piano black interior trim? Even IF I manage to get it clean, it starts showing swirls and fingerprints within a day.
A piano, I am guessing black enamel on wood?

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
I am guessing black enamel on wood?
I'm pretty sure it is just plastic that was invented by the devil himself. BMW calls it "black high gloss." Looks nice in a showroom but is impossible to keep clean. My defender has rough cut veneer - looks much better and and is far more durable.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I use a mild polish usually by hand on scratched trim and if it’s very mild swirling, a wax/sealant that has some polish would work.

If the wax/sealant says “removes(and not hides-that’s glaze) fine swirls/scratches” in the description, it has a bit of polish in it.
Use a microfibre cloth with a small amount(pea sized spot) of that polish and with light pressure in a circular pattern, hit the trim. Then wipe off with a clean cloth.
Should remove or minimize the swirls and give it some protection.

Have Piano Gloss trim in my Mini and have hit scuffs of the door trim with polish and definitely improved them.

Uncle-A

Skier
I'm pretty sure it is just plastic that was invented by the devil himself. BMW calls it "black high gloss." Looks nice in a showroom but is impossible to keep clean. My defender has rough cut veneer - looks much better and and is far more durable.

I guess I missed the boat on that, as I said many times I am a square nerd of a guy.

Sponsor

Staff online

• jimmy
    Mixmaster
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid