• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Diamond Stone Life

gwat

Putting on skis
Skier
If I’m tuning a badly burred ski I will use a cheap ceramic stone to take the major burrs off before I use a diamond stone.

Keep the stones clean..I find a few drops of 3-in-1 oil rubbed on the surface with a finger or toothbrush gets the gunk off.

Using cutting oil on the edges will also help the stone last longer.

Other tips for getting the most life out of diamond stones?

James

Out There
Instructor
I think the first one I ever had, a DMT, I probably ruined within the first few times of using it. Possibly even the first time. I sort of assumed they were indestructible. Just built up way too much heat through vigorous use. The diamonds fall off.

I never use oil, just water. I think Sidecut sells fancy oil and you put a drop on. Whatever.
Got away from oil stone sharpening decades ago. Just a mess. Certainly don’t want any on a ski base.
Some people use water/alcohol mix. Or you could use some fancy cutting solution.

I use a tooth brush while using the stone to scrub with water.

Any cutting solution made for skis is absurdly expensive but there’s gobs of industrial cutting fluids available if you want to go look.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I like a water alcohol mix because it wets better. I've never done it, but a tiny bit of dish soap would probably work too. I use a toothbrush too.

The big wear I get is on the edges of my coarsest, where rock dings grab it during 1st passes. The finer (later in the sequence) grits last a long time.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I usually used #100 grit diamond stone with lots of water for deburring prior to sharpening with a edge grinder. #200 for deburring without sharpening.

I keep the stones clean and fast cutting with a small brass brush. Works real quick.

Key is lots of water and soft hands. Not too much pressure all at once.

I keep about 15 pairs of skis waxed and tuned through out the season. We are on snow 120/130 days per season. Tune and wax every 5 days or so. My diamond stones are probably 8 to 10 years old. Haven't worn one out yet.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I think the first one I ever had, a DMT, I probably ruined within the first few times of using it. Possibly even the first time. I sort of assumed they were indestructible. Just built up way too much heat through vigorous use. The diamonds fall off.

Harh. Yes, I made that mistake - back in straight ski days. My second set of DMTs lasted longer than the holder/bevel guide. Literally.

Did away with the whole vigorous business, and if it took more than 10 full strokes to get result I switched to cutting files.

James

Out There
Instructor
Yeah I used too much pressure. Of course there was no epicski then so it was have someone show you or learn on the fly.

ThomasD

Getting off the lift
Skier
I use water/alcohol, and as others have noted, you really do not want to over pressure them. That tends to remove grit. The finer the stone the lighter the pressure. Use your ears and a pair of 4x readers to tell you what is happening. I maintain over a dozen pairs each season (there are five in my house) and almost exclusively use diamond stones - files are about a once a year thing. DMT stones last about a season, with the course ones going longer. Moonflex last well over twice as long but are a real investment.

Edit: And the real benefit of diamond + light pressure is no appreciable burr.

Reactions: NE1

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
Here you go. Take a look here:
I don't know anything about edge work or stones, but that guy has some weird ideas about irons and wax. Nothing that necessarily works badly (that I have seen), but all sorts of wasted effort and myths.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Water with a drop or two of Dawn works well for me. I had a similar $$$ adventure to @James the first time, aeons ago.

Had never used them, and heard they were great, so went to town with a new set totally dry. Gone, baby.

The internet isn't all bad... ;)

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
I like a water alcohol mix because it wets better. I've never done it, but a tiny bit of dish soap would probably work too. I use a toothbrush too.

The big wear I get is on the edges of my coarsest, where rock dings grab it during 1st passes. The finer (later in the sequence) grits last a long time.
Yep 50% H2O, 50% Denatured Alcohol....But moot point now. Razor-Tune! :ogbiggrin: