• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Diamond Stone Lubrication

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I've tried dipping when traveling. I much prefer the wash bottle.

draco

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Today I tried 50/50 alchohol/water. I sprayed the skis, but it seems to much work for each pass. So, is it better to spray to file than to spray the skis?

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Today I tried 50/50 alchohol/water. I sprayed the skis, but it seems to much work for each pass. So, is it better to spray to file than to spray the skis?

Put the solution in a wide mouth jar and dip the diamond stone in it to wet. Put it on your guide and go-easy. If your jar or other container is wide enough you can dip the guide loaded with the stone- that's what I do-easy peezy.

TallGuy

Getting on the lift
Skier
I just tried to get a new can of denatured alcohol at Home Depot yesterday. Turns out California outlawed the stuff a while back (apparently it's been a couple years since I bought a can). Can I just use rubbing alcohol with the same 50/50 (water) mix I used with denatured and get similar results?

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
Was kindly referred to this recently on this forum. No mention or sign of wetting the diamond stone for either removing the hanger or edge polishing (4.48 onwards):
How irregular is that?

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
Was kindly referred to this recently on this forum. No mention or sign of wetting the diamond stone for either removing the hanger or edge polishing (4.48 onwards):
How irregular is that?
He's not paying for those stones. No problem, just grab a new one.

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
I just tried to get a new can of denatured alcohol at Home Depot yesterday. Turns out California outlawed the stuff a while back (apparently it's been a couple years since I bought a can). Can I just use rubbing alcohol with the same 50/50 (water) mix I used with denatured and get similar results?
Sure you can. You really don't need 50/50. Go lighter. What up with that law?

James

Out There
Instructor
Did CA mandate electric stones? ogsmile
If you buy isopropyl at the store, you could get the 50% or 90%.

Mark1975

Getting on the lift
Skier
Just get some Everclear grain alcohol. The denatured stuff from hardware stores is quite toxic. Plus, you can make some potent mixed drinks with the stuff to enjoy while you tune skis.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Just get some Everclear grain alcohol. The denatured stuff from hardware stores is quite toxic. Plus, you can make some potent mixed drinks with the stuff to enjoy while you tune skis.

Just be sure to hide the bottles under the other recycling :D or every snooping dogwalker is going to spread stories of your alcohol habit...

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow. I missed that when it happened.

Mark1975

Getting on the lift
Skier
Just be sure to hide the bottles under the other recycling :D or every snooping dogwalker is going to spread stories of your alcohol habit...
Haha. At the height of the pandemic, it was impossible to buy hand sanitizer locally for months. I read online that you could make your own hand sanitizer with whole grain and aloe vera gel. So I get a few bottles of aloe, then head to the liquor store to get a few bottles of whole grain. I put the bottles on the counter for the cashier, and this lady behind me is just staring at me. Finally she says, "You know, there is a lot of free support for alcoholism" I told her it was to make hand sanitizer. She didn't believe me and probably still doesn't believe me to this day. :roflmao:

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Or your CBD oil production habit ogsmile

Sponsor

Staff online