• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Differences between 2021 Faction Candide 1.0 and 2022 Faction Dictator 1.0?

Hankj

Out on the slopes
Skier
Can anybody give a head to head impression of how these two skis compare? Thanks very much!

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Can anybody give a head to head impression of how these two skis compare? Thanks very much!
Both skis have similar widths with the mounting points, flex patterns, tail splay(flat Vs twin tails) and symmetrical vs more directional (tip width Vs tail width) shapes.

The Candide 1.0 has a very symmetrical shape with the tip just 2mm wider than the tail, so the corresponding binding mount point is closer to Center. The flat tail Dictator has a more directional shape with a corresponding more traditional(further back towards the tail) mount point.

The Dictator features 2 full thin sheets of metal with a lightweight core so it’s actually quite a bit lighter(250gr) than the CT 1.0 which has 2 partial sheets of metal underfoot. The heavier core, rubber dampening actually make the twin tip CT more damp and quiet on the snow.

Both skis have just a bit of taper tip/tail so long effective edge for good edge grip with the CT 1.0 actually having a slightly longer EE.

You can move the bindings back a bit on the CT 1.0 for a more traditional feel but will still have a bit looser feel when flat Vs the Dictator. Dictator will feel more lively and precise, the CT more damp and stable.

TS
Hankj

Hankj

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks! I have the. CT 1.0 already. Is there any reason to pick up the Dictators from a user experience perspective? I find the Candides to be damp and stable but a bit hard too ski off piste and in firm moguls. The Candides carve fine but need to be placed on edge - they don't really roll and suck into a turn.

Should I give the Dictators a shot?

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Thanks! I have the. CT 1.0 already. Is there any reason to pick up the Dictators from a user experience perspective? I find the Candides to be damp and stable but a bit hard too ski off piste and in firm moguls. The Candides carve fine but need to be placed on edge - they don't really roll and suck into a turn.

Should I give the Dictators a shot?
Sounds like your tune is definitely off and the ski is edge high. Get them stone ground flat and edges reset and you will be floored how different they ski.
They should be awesome in bumps, off piste and very easy to roll over.

TS
Hankj

Hankj

Out on the slopes
Skier
Dead flat to my straight edge GregK. I think we've had this chat in the past - I like the CT 1.0's, but they feel different to my skiiing than they do to your skiing I think ....

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Dead flat to my straight edge GregK. I think we've had this chat in the past - I like the CT 1.0's, but they feel different to my skiiing than they do to your skiing I think ....
The forte of a more centered mounted twin tip ski with the CT’s forgiving flex pattern underfoot is the ease of pivoting in bumps and off piste so that’s why it’s raising red flags to me. No ski in its class is easier there regardless of type of skier.
The Dictator will be more work off piste even with it’s light weight.

Edge high skis are harder to pivot, harder to roll on edge to get off the edge, will feel heavier and more demanding than they are which all sound like your complaints.
Even if they look “pretty good” I’d be shocked if they weren’t noticeably improved with a stone grind and making sure the edge bevels are uniform. If you’ve had some days on them now, they are probably due for a once over anyway.

Every single new ski I’ve purchased in the last 10 years(over 40 pairs now) from every manufacturer have been noticeably improved with a stone grind and a once over on the edges. Afraid no ski ski manufacture seems to be exempt from hit or miss tunes either.
As I’ve said on the Faction thread, the only mediocre reviews on these skis have been from those who didn’t get a full tune before skiing them.

TS
Hankj

Hankj

Out on the slopes
Skier
I think the uniform flex of these skis doesn't work for some skiers. I wish the tails and tips were a little softer relative to the middle.

FWIW I don't dislike the CT 1.0's. I skied them maybe 25 of my 50ish days last season. I'm surprised they Are still flat given how many hundreds of miles they've been pressed down over hard snow. Usually my skis get center high by this point. Not the Candides, seem pretty durable.

Sponsor