• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Different qualities of different FIS SL skis

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I like to make a distinction between "skidding" and "drifting." Skidding is moving sideways against an edged ski, drifting is moving sideways against a relatively flat ski. Less resistance, less fighting against the forces and more using them.

I don't think that Alain is really skidding, he's allowing the skis to move sideways as well as forwards. "Brushed" as some say.

From a chair lift over an icy slope it's easy to determine who is skidding their turns and who is drifting them. The latter makes very little noise, the former makes a lot of noise.

Sure, butter, feather, drift, brush. Maybe technically they're all skidding, but I like to make the distinction as skid has such negative connotations. A hockey stop is skidding. A side slip isn't.

It's all gray.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Does Alain do private groups?

Yup, he does. He is like the Jack of all trades at Taos.
Private lessons, private ski weeks. Clinics in the afternoon. Heads up race week personally.
Don't think there is anything he doesn't do.
Always selling.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Does Alain do private groups?

Yup, he does. He is like the Jack of all trades at Taos.
Private lessons, private ski weeks. Clinics in the afternoon. Heads up race week personally.
Don't think there is anything he doesn't do.
Always selling.

I think what James probably meant to ask was, "Would he do a private group with ME in it?"

James

Out There
Instructor
Heh, that’s hilarious. I think it’s in the French dna to say no first, and also be dismissive.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I can do pivot slips with these Atomics. No problem. And 360s. On hard snow.
But it seems disrespectful to do so on a ski designed for carving at speed.
Not sure of the base grind. Edges are 1,3.
If you signed up for a race camp, you'd be doing just that on FIS SLs.
I would just like to point out, before anybody gets the wrong idea, that pure arc-2-arc are NOT the only turns you see on a race course. If fact most of the turns are NOT pure tangential motion carves; there is plenty of slippage in most turns. All you have to do is watch the race team practicing at your local hill or watch any slalom race. They polish that area where they turn by scraping past the gate as they turn. They do what they need to do to get through the entire course with the best time. If they made pure carved turns around every gate they would soon go too fast to make the next turn. Remember, courses are set to challenge the racers and separate the field, even if some races are close. I recall Bode Miller once mentioned in an interview that he set up his skis with different tunes on different edge sides, cleanly carving left and smearing right (or vise-versa) due to the course set. You bet your adz, racers do every kind of turn on their race skis.

Mogul skiing done right needs a bullet-proof traditional short radius turn on a fairly flat ski. That's the proper way to ski moguls. If you have the strength, reflexes and stamina to go nearly straight down carving SG turns, bouncing off every third one like a pin-ball getting launched and flying over the rest, go right ahead; I'm sure it's entertaining for the people looking from the lift. However, just because you can doesn't mean you should.

I like to leave the cleanest tracks possible, almost everywhere I ski, but now that I'm a lot older and a little wiser, I spare my body the punishment of treating every run (including icy mogul runs) like a DH race course - That's just crazy ( [Monty Python peasant villager at the witch trial voice] I got better[/Monty Python peasant villager at the witch trial voice] ). I even keep a pair of skis tuned with a 1 degree base - 2 degree side, just because that works better for me in moguls, where I use the traditional short radius turn. I also revert to the traditional short radius turn when it's too crowded to safely ski fast.

TS
Z

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
Sure, butter, feather, drift, brush. Maybe technically they're all skidding, but I like to make the distinction as skid has such negative connotations. A hockey stop is skidding. A side slip isn't.
Are you implying that an edge moving sideways across thet snow is shite but a base moving sideways is fine?

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Are you implying that an edge moving sideways across thet snow is shite but a base moving sideways is fine?
The way I read it, she's basically talking about intentionality.

Gina D

Getting off the lift
Skier

Not exactly. As KingGrump said, it's all gray. Is a hockey stop shite? No. I don't think that skidding is bad, but the word has a bad connotation.

The way I read it, she's basically talking about intentionality.

Yes I think that's a lot of what I'm saying.

TS
Z

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
Right, got you. So if I were in America and talked about drifting into a turn, would everyone think I meant sliding on the bases, or can I use it for edge feathering/buttering without being misunderstood?

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Right, got you. So if I were in America and talked about drifting into a turn, would everyone think I meant sliding on the bases, or can I use it for edge feathering/buttering without being misunderstood?
You can't do anything without being misunderstood. I will testify to this forever.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

They will probably sue you either way...

Gina D

Getting off the lift
Skier
As others have said, there's no clear agreement on the meaning of a lot of terms. Angulation for example. I think a "brushed carve" is fairly commonly agreed on. A "steered turn" is a term often used. I think "drifted turn" is less common, but I've come across it in a few places. The main thing is the concept, and to me a skidded turn has more edge scraping across the snow then a drifted, or brushed, or feathered, or steered one.

BmbrMcGnrly

Putting on skis
Skier
Anyone have any recommendations/leads on an end of season SL ski deal? Looking for something to improve my skill during the summer on an indoor ski slope (300m long). 6'3" 215 lbs. Would be open to new or used.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ I suggest to post in the Buy & Sell section looking for an SL ( or FIS SL ) as I'm sure you will get some good offers on gently used SL / FIS SL. If you are not necessarily looking at a FIS SL, check out my as-new Dynastar 963 SL that I have listed there. As solid as the 963 is, my Rossi FSI SL is certainly on a different level in feedback, stiffness, and precision required to get the best out of it. Good luck in the hunt !

Pasha

i hiked the ridge... twice...
Skier
Anyone have any recommendations/leads on an end of season SL ski deal? Looking for something to improve my skill during the summer on an indoor ski slope (300m long). 6'3" 215 lbs. Would be open to new or used.

if you don’t mind women’s version in 157cm, they have 2021 version in the sale section… Just mounted bindings on mine.

currency exchange is very favorable. Make sure to use credit card with no foreign transaction fees.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

if you don’t mind women’s version in 157cm, they have 2021 version in the sale section… Just mounted bindings on mine.

currency exchange is very favorable. Make sure to use credit card with no foreign transaction fees.
What specific model are you trying to link to here?

Sponsor

Staff online