• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado Dillon to Monarch, which way is best?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Both times are within minutes of each other, do we go though Leadville or past Breckenridge?
Screenshot 2023-01-25 at 4.44.13 PM.png

Nathanvg

Out on the slopes
Skier
Either way works. The western route has less switchbacks/grade/stoplights so I'd recomend that from a speed/weather perspective. Once you get over the respective passes, the middle 60% of the trip is high plateau with the last 10% another pass.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Fremont Pass between Copper and Leadville is quite well maintained even in snow storms so I’d do that.

James

Out There
Instructor
If you go through Leadville you could stop at that Melanzana store that only sells clothes there. I guess it’s mostly hoodies, or hoodie dresses.

7AFCEEAA-7DBD-4655-835B-2008DEE37729.jpeg

I thought CO Freeride outerwear was made in Leadville?

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
You can't just stop in and buy at Melanzana -- you need an appointment weeks in advance to buy anything besides a beanie.

CO Freeride is made in CO but no store in Pb.

The Pb / Bueana Vista has more town and food options. Both are pretty drives on well-maintained roads. Route via Alma is less fun if there is high winds / blowing snow.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Have you been one way, or a good portion of one way? Then go the other way.
I used to love going through the South Park area, interesting counrty.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We go past Dillon and Monarch a lot. (Drives between Santa Fe and Fraser). I can tell you that the Western route is a bit shorter but not enough to make a big difference. Both are beautiful but different. The route through Fairplay is lovely, the road curvy. The route that passes by Copper and Buena Vista has the river canyon, and the Brown Dog Cafe in Buena Vista for a caffeine pick me up. But then you spent more time on I-70.

Salida is a fun town and there is a funky but sweet hot springs at the base of Mt. Princeton.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Leadville is 10,000'. With not a whole lot of traffic. Keep that, and the weather, in mind.

In good weather, the scenery is better.
Breck is 10,000', with a whole lot of traffic.

What day are you going? That makes a big difference anymore. The eastern way will have Breck ski traffic to deal with, but the Copper traffic has been stupid on Saturday mornings (an hour through Officers Gulch???).

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Breck is 10,000', with a whole lot of traffic.

What day are you going? That makes a big difference anymore. The eastern way will have Breck ski traffic to deal with, but the Copper traffic has been stupid on Saturday mornings (an hour through Officers Gulch???).
tomorrow AM

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'd swing by Butterhorn cafe in Frisco get some breakfast burrito and coffee and take the western route. Either way weather looks good tomorrow, cheers.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
tomorrow AM
It will be windy tomorrow, so I'd avoid the blowing snow on 285 and take the western route. I like the western views better too.

Fairplay Forecast:
Patchy blowing snow before 11am. Mostly sunny, with a high near 18. Wind chill values as low as -24. Windy, with a northwest wind 21 to 26 mph increasing to 27 to 32 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 48 mph.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Check out the new bike path bridge three miles up Freemont Pass from Copper Mountain on the way to Leadville:

PXL_20210102_230947733.jpg

$5.6M for a 3.3-mile (so far) bike path! :ogbiggrin:

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Wind == Leadville is a nicer route. Stop at City on the Hill for baked goods or burritos and coffee.

James

Out There
Instructor
Heh, this is slightly better than relatives arguing over how to get home from the holiday meal. Mainly because there are only two choices.

Sponsor