• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Discontinued foods or drinks that you miss

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Today's story about the Choco Taco being discontinued by Klondike made me wonder ...How many people will miss it?

I know there have been a few things that I enjoyed in the past that I miss but the Choco Taco isn't one of them. Maybe some here will miss it.

What I miss is the ice cream bar they used to have at Costco, but its probably good since I'm not supposed to eat sugar :)
coscto ice cream .jpeg

So, lets talk about discontinued things that you miss.
:popcorn:

Winks

AKA "Gary".
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Most likely some brand will pick this up and bring it back. As a child of the 90s that list could get pretty big for things I’d like to see come back:

Butterfinger BBs
Trix Yogurt
Altoids Sours
Blue Pepsi
Orange Slice soda
Cream Savers
Cereal Straws
Philadelphia Cheesecake bars
Squeeze it’s
Wonka Bars (LOVED WONKA BARS!!)

Last edited:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
the Choco Taco being discontinued by Klondike

Altoids aren't gone... I can still buy them here in the same old tin.

Fun fact: they discontinued production in 1963.
When I go to the vintage twinkie websites, I always think the 1958 model was the best one... maybe one day I'll buy one.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@dbostedo From your link...
This is, unfortunately, true. The Choco Taco has been discontinued.

When we reached out to Unilever, the company that owns Klondike, a spokesperson confirmed to us that the Choco Taco, which was invented in Philadelphia in 1984, had been discontinued. The spokesperson wrote:

The Klondike Choco Taco has unfortunately been discontinued in both 1ct and 4ct pack sizes. Over the past 2 years, we have experienced an unprecedented spike in demand across our portfolio and have had to make very tough decisions to ensure availability of our full portfolio nationwide. A necessary but unfortunate part of this process is that we sometimes must discontinue products, even a beloved item like Choco Taco. We know this may be very disappointing, but we hope you’ll try one of our other great products, including Klondike Cones, Shakes, Sandwiches, and of course, our signature Bar available nationwide.

Winks

AKA "Gary".
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Things get discontinued for a reason - maybe nostalgia is all they have rather than actual sales or in the case of some products perhaps they are less efficient to make and pack on modern production lines or they are actually made by a copacker that ceases operations.

Plus there's always the free marketing bump when they bring back something as a nostalgia brand cf the McRib's annual re-emergence.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
@dbostedo From your link...
This is, unfortunately, true. The Choco Taco has been discontinued.

When we reached out to Unilever, the company that owns Klondike, a spokesperson confirmed to us that the Choco Taco, which was invented in Philadelphia in 1984, had been discontinued. The spokesperson wrote:
Ah... I hadn't seen the update.... as Snopes notes:

"When we originally addressed the rumor, we labeled it “False,” in part, because we didn’t want to believe that it was true. Additionally, Klondike had dispelled these rumors just a few weeks earlier, writing that while the 4-packs had been discontinued, the single-serving products were still on offer."

I didn't realize that was no longer true!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We could have a whole thread dedicated to the discontinued Ben & Jerry flavors. Two of mine are Holy Cannoli and Dastardly Mash.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Things get discontinued for a reason - maybe nostalgia is all they have rather than actual sales or in the case of some products perhaps they are less efficient to make and pack on modern production lines or they are actually made by a copacker that ceases operations.

Plus there's always the free marketing bump when they bring back something as a nostalgia brand cf the McRib's annual re-emergence.
Soooo, instead of being a voice of reason, why not join in the fun and tell us what has been discontinued that you miss?
There has to be at least one thing....c'mon!

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
It would be culturally specific and therefore not actually that relevant. But one I was thinking about recently was Tooty Frooties which eventually ended up under Nestle. They were a rare find and apparently (so I've just googled) were discontinued in 2019. The issue like the native red squirrel is that they were pushed out by a hungrier and more aggressive species interloping from the US, Skittles. It is unconfirmed whether Skittles carry syphillis or or other squirrel poxes, but they probably do.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Here's one that I know @Philpug missed when it was discontinued...
When we were at the Stoweflake Inn, for ESA the bartender made Phil a cocktail with Hendricks Gin and Stirrings Essense of Rose which he really liked.
A few years later, Stirrings discontinued Essense of Rose.

Sponsor

Staff online