• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Discontinued foods or drinks that you miss

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There is a candy store near the movie theater, so I went to see if they had anything resembling Tooty Frooties.
Nope.
They had a ton of other stuff that I didn't know still existed.
Did you know that they still make candy cigarettes??
View attachment 174244

No! But I guess I do now....
Actually I was mistaken, its not candy cigarettes, its bubble gum cigarettes.
Also, I didn't notice the Olympian Hall of Fame bubble gum next to them until after I took the picture.

This same store also has some long lost beverages and some that should probably be lost.
IMG_2044.jpeg

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
They also had Black Olive Soda and Cucumber Soda, I bet the latter might be interesing with Gin.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Licorice snaps!!!

You can still find them on the internet, but at $10 for a small bag.....

DebbieSue

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Didn’t they used to make wax cigarettes filled with some flavor liquid?
“Wax bottles,” Pixie Sticks, Lik-M-ade, dots (on a paper strip, not jelly Dots in a box), Smarties ….penny candy of my grade school years. Basically, sugar. All precursors to Sweet-Tarts. Sold at the same places as candy cigarettes. I don't recall wax cigarettes…wax cigars, maybe, now that I think of it…must investigate.

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Stewart's Ginger Beer.

Kentucky Fried Chicken Jumbo Shrimp from the 1960's.

That's another thread topic...What's one thing that is regional that you miss when you move to a different region?
Cuban food.

I see Manhattan Special Espresso Soda has already been noted. I bring back as much as I can when I visit my sister in NJ; I wish they'd start bottling it in 2-litres.

Mangos! Plantains! Seafood! You absolutely cannot find good mangos or plantains in Michigan, and the only decent warm-water seafood I can find is dolphin.

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
You can get most of that weird pop and candy like candy cigarettes at Cracker Barrel.. But you's have to set foot in Cracker Barrel.

Seen the wax pop bottles there too..

Or order it online.. I see bubble gum cigars online. I've seen the cigarettes in the store here..

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Pepperjack Doritos

Also, there was some brand of chocolate yogurt that was so good it had to be pudding! But it said yogurt, so you could eat it for breakfast without feeling bad. It might have even been Healthy Choice, just to further the lie.

And I drank a lot of Tab when it was around,

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
When I was a kid they used to have NeHi orange soda and I haven't seen it in years.

LuliTheYounger

I'm just here to bother my mom
Skier
Mine is the TJ's soy nuggets - none of the other veggie nugget things will do, I just want that one.

Also @Tricia, today someone at work asked everyone what they would do with lottery money, and his proposal was that he would buy Choco Taco, rebrand it by putting his face on the packaging, and live large. There's at least one person out there who's distraught about their demise haha.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Schraffts candy is no longer made, they used to have those fancy candy box's.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Stewart's Ginger Beer.

Kentucky Fried Chicken Jumbo Shrimp from the 1960's.

Cuban food.

I see Manhattan Special Espresso Soda has already been noted. I bring back as much as I can when I visit my sister in NJ; I wish they'd start bottling it in 2-litres.

Mangos! Plantains! Seafood! You absolutely cannot find good mangos or plantains in Michigan, and the only decent warm-water seafood I can find is dolphin.
And for me it's Vernors
It's slowly making its way west, and I can get it in the 12 packs in Colorado, but it hasn't made its way much further.

I do, occasionally find it in a mixer aisle where liquor is served....until....
Today!
I was shopping at our local grocery store and found it in 6 packs!
Granted it's not as affordable as it is in Michigan, but at least I can get a quick fix from time to time as a special treat.

9FFD996E-C493-4FB0-ABAC-473880865EBE.jpeg

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Forgot about lime candy. Green is lime, not apple!
They ruined Skittles* when they made this change. First time I got a green apple one I thought "WTF is this crap!". I think they still make the lime ones but they're in some gross berry flavored mix. :nono:

*Yes I'm aware they're not fit for human consumption.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
They ruined Skittles* when they made this change. First time I got a green apple one I thought "WTF is this crap!". I think they still make the lime ones but they're in some gross berry flavored mix. :nono:

*Yes I'm aware they're not fit for human consumption.
They're great. I prefer the lime to the green apple in the regular mix. But I really like this variety:

1659141975680.png

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The next time @dbostedo comes out to Reno, I imagine a trip to this candy store.