• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ditch the poles

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
This isn't about poles, but since skating came up....

Skate downhill. Not too much pitch at first. Does wonders for your skiing.
Make two skates, both in the same direction, per turn.
Complete those turns.
Then make one skate per turn.
Morph the skating into turning.
Stay on low pitch terrain.
Great way to decisively transfer weight from ski to ski.

Last edited:

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier

Complete those turns.

Can you clarify this for me? I'm imagining Apollo Ohno coming out of the corner at Mach Schnell in a full stride cross over.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Can you clarify this for me? I'm imagining Apollo Ohno coming out of the corner at Mach Schnell in a full stride cross over.

I think LF means : Do one skate stride by shifting onto a short leg, recenter onto the old long leg, then make a second stride to the same side - all during one ski turn.

For an off-snow skate drill, draw a 12-15' circle. Put your outer skate on the line. That's your long leg. Outside the circle is lava. Don't let your long leg go outside that line as you skate around the circle. You'll be using the same body mechanics.

Last edited:

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
I think LF means : Do one skate stride by shifting onto a short leg, recenter onto the old long leg, then make a second stride to the same side - all during one ski turn.
OK I get it but I'm wondering what exactly should be happening with that short (inside) leg. does it just go along for the ride or is tipped over to the little toe edge?

For an off-snow skate drill, draw a 12-15' circle. Put your outer skate on the line. That's your long leg. Outside the circle is lava. Don't let your long leg go outside that line as you skate around the circle. You'll be using the same body mechanics.
I can sorta do that on inline skates but I can't maintain my balance on the little toe edge of my inside foot. My body is OK with falling to the center but it just won't go the other way on skates or snow, Is there a skater's progression to build up that skill?
[/QUOTE]

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
@Fuller, I see the confusion. Yes, the inside ski is on the LTE. You propel off the BTE of the outside ski, step onto the LTE of the inside ski, propel again off the BTE, step onto the LTE, finishing that turn.

Flip skis onto new edges, and make a turn in the other direction by propelling twice.

You are stepping from BTE to LTE to BTE to LTE, flipping edges then steeping from BTE to LTE to BTE to LTE. Each time you're on the BTE you are propelling self forward as if skating. Each time you're on LTE you are riding the sidecut. When you place the LTE (always of the short inside leg) down on the snow, set it down with tips diverging.

If you've ever tried 1000 Steps, this is a reduced version of it. Instead of 1000 steps it's 2 steps. Propelling each time you're on the BTE, no skidding allowed on either edge, as if you are skating.

Progression to ride on the LTE without skidding out? Traverse, step uphill onto the LTE of your uphill ski. Step back down onto the BTE of the downhill ski. Step up to the LTE. Step down to the BTE. Keep the traverse going all the way across the hill. No skidding allowed. Point skis as you step so you can continue moving all the way across the hill. Lack of crowds is essential since you'll be cutting across the line of everyone above you .

Last edited:

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
You propel off the BTE of the outside ski, step onto the LTE of the inside ski....
This is the part of skating on skis that a lot of people don't get. People tend to go from BTE to BTE, just as when doing an uphill herringbone walk, which defeats proper balance and redirection. Done properly, skating is marvelous practice for balancing on the LTE and rolling smoothly onto the BTE, while keeping all weight on that one ski--which is what we want to be doing in the majority of our transitions in regular skiing.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
^^In my neighborhood that is considered a Level III skate (referring to certification levels, not student skier levels).
BTE to BTE is a Level I and/or Level II skate.

Jamt

Out on the slopes
Skier
If I remember correctly....LEKI had those...
They still do:
https://www.LEKI.com/uk/product-area/alpine-skiing/poles/3268/hot-shot-s/

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
This is the part of skating on skis that a lot of people don't get. People tend to go from BTE to BTE, just as when doing an uphill herringbone walk, which defeats proper balance and redirection. Done properly, skating is marvelous practice for balancing on the LTE and rolling smoothly onto the BTE, while keeping all weight on that one ski--which is what we want to be doing in the majority of our transitions in regular skiing.
This is interesting, I've struggled with drills that make you rely on the LTE for balance. I can sorta do the "up and over" drill but getting up on that LTE and then rolling onto the BTE requires really easy terrain and snow quality for me to call it a success. I've made a lot of attempts to do it correctly, trusting that it was something I needed to learn but I never really understood why it was important. Learn something everyday.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier

I think You are 100% correct. I still don't use my poles when I skate, I ski at Gore there's a lot of skating, I love to pass the arm pumpers as I sail along skating, no poles needed. Last week I blew off 2 teenagers on a long skate over to High peaks chair lol my own secret race.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Complete those turns.

Hey, just tried this today, it DOES work and is huge fun, thanks!:golfclap:

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I recall in ski school several times when an instructor would announce to either leave your poles behind or they'd carry em for a few runs

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
I remember years ago when Head came out with the really short Cyber skis, I was at a CSIA ladies day event. We were to demo these skis. Well DH had a pair, so I took them. Second run in, coach asked everyone to leave their poles at the top of the run. Oh my....damn near a revolt from the group. I happily planted mine and followed. The only problem is getting up if you fall on the flats and are not a supple as you used to be.
I often ski without poles since my young son doesn't have them.

If I fall I miss them. I also miss them sometimes in narrow lift lines - I'm great at skating but if there's no space sometimes I miss the poles.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I used to be very dependent on my poles. Then I took a private and she took my poles away. Terrifying at first but then very liberating. I felt like learning to ski without my poles was the best thing I ever did. Not having poles really ups your skating game too. I carried poles for years before I ever started using them. I finally got into the rhythm of pole planting. That said I'm very comfy without poles but found I wanted them in the lift line or getting out of my skis so I've caried them the past few years. On day 2 of this season I was skiing with my poles and I felt myself dipping into the backseat. The second I put my poles in the one hand my balance shifted and my turns were better. I skied this way my entire day 3 this past saturday. This way I'm essentially skiing without poles but I have them if I need or want them.

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Now level up one more and do it with your boots unbuckled..

Seriously though.. Now that new gear skiing only used the little side tippy taps instead of a full out front pole PLANT the importance of the poles has become diminished. Mostly for navigating the lift corrals and knocking down race course poles now right?

Sponsor

Staff online