• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

DIY Asphalt Driveway Resurfacing

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I have lived in my home for 20 years and done nothing to my driveway except for parking on it and clearing it of snow with shovels and a snowthrower. I have noticed lately that the aggregate is catching the leading edge of the shovel and snowthrower. Who knew that asphalt degraded like this? I'm hoping you knew this and have some suggestions.

As you can see in this rain enhanced photo, there are some areas where the asphalt has pretty much disappeared leaving just aggregate.

1623022040866.png

I've been looking at products from Lowe's (there is one in Silverthorne) to use. This one seems to be a good one and has an extended temperature range for application, starting at 45° F, which is important in the high country when temps are 40° F at 7 in the morning. https://www.lowes.com/pd/BLACK-JACK-Ultra-Maxx-1000-4-75-Gallon-Asphalt-Sealer/3025368

I have about 200 sq. ft. of asphalt to resurface. Should a product like this fill in the significant loss of original material? I'm not going to try to do it in one application. I'm hoping two coats will do it but am prepared to do more if necessary.

Are there more suitable products for fixing this driveway? Should I get this professionally resurfaced?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and comments.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Doug. I have used the blackjack stiff for repairs. It is not bad but I fund it worked best when I Also applied liquid asphalt sealer on top of it. Where I just used the blackjack it disaggregated pretty quickly. The sealed sections have lasted well

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Based on my experiences vs. my neighbor's, this at least might be an instance where it would be better to pay (once every 20 years) for professional sealing, especially if you can get on a "milk run" with several smaller jobs in the same general area.

If you're determined to go the DIY route, make sure and pressure wash the driveway first, then apply the sealer on a good, hot day to maximize penetration.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Based on my experiences vs. my neighbor's, this at least might be an instance where it would be better to pay (once every 20 years) for professional sealing, especially if you can get on a "milk run" with several smaller jobs in the same general area.

If you're determined to go the DIY route, make sure and pressure wash the driveway first, then apply the sealer on a good, hot day to maximize penetration.
I have to agree with this sentiment. You're unlikely to get nearly as good a result as a pro with hot sealer. You can maintain it afterwards by applying a new topcoat every few years yourself as needed. I know people that do theirs every year but that's a bit obsessive.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier

Yes, pay a professional.

Yes, maximize penetration.

Just don't get caught.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Seal coaters like to do more than one driveway in your neighborhood at a time. So ask your neighbors and get a group rate.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Seal coaters like to do more than one driveway in your neighborhood at a time. So ask your neighbors and get a group rate.

Exactly.

We used to have everybody jump in when I'd organize sealing of the community's shared road.

Made the driveways cheap.

Rich McP

H20nSnow Elsewhere
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you decide to go the pro route, ask the local property management companies (I’m sure you someone at at least one of them) if they’ll give you a rec. we did our parking lot last summer but I don’t remember who we went with. I’ll look it up if you want. More importantly, their scheduled work this summer might give you the “in the neighborhood already” opening you need.

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks everyone. I never had an asphalt driveway before.

Sponsor