• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Do cyclists have a respect problem?

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
Interesting topic on GCN... respect from the peloton and on the streets. And features the fist-swinging Justin Williams

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Imho they are a slightly worse reflection of society. Not much.. But slightly. And worse with higher racing levels..

Unpiste

Booting down
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It’s not exactly the kind of cycling we’re talking about here, but…

I’m always a bit frustrated when I watch a cyclist on the street not only blow through a red light, but do so by moving over into the crosswalk, as if that somehow makes it better. I can’t help but think that this kind of behavior leads to some of the animosity I’ve experienced personally from drivers on the road.

Not quite so bad, but still pretty silly is the cyclist, usually in full aero gear, who just can’t bring themselves to unclip, but also doesn’t have the balance to stand still without creeping into the intersection. I’ve watched a few make it nearly half way across an intersection in this manner while trying not to “run” the light.

wiread

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Cyclists running lights or stop signs never really bothered me. I personally think it’s easier to visually “clear” an intersection while approaching on a bike than in a vehicle.
I think it’s easier to stop quickly if need be on a bike, and at the end of the day, the cyclist is going to lose every time if they choose poorly.

so, if an intersection is clear and they want to take that chance, have at it

wooglin

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Haven't watched the video, but there are rumblings all over the place that new cyclists, and new pro cyclists, lack the etiquette and skills for group riding, making everyone less safe. Don't know if its true or not, but the basic idea is that you can get strong on something like Zwift, and immediately jump into a fast group, knowing nothing about paceline dynamics. Similarly, for neopros, training is at such a high level that they can jump into the peloton and mix it up without having paid their dues as domestiques and water carriers.

Then of course there's the "I already know how to ride so don't tell me what to do" mindset. Maynard Hershon (of Winning's At the Back fame) talks about this often on his facebook page.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Not watched the video. But in general as in all activities some cyclists have a respect problem. Thinking particulatly of those barrelling along urban streets like they are in an ITT scattering pedestrians before them or riding 3 abreast on group rides on narrow country lanes preventing any motorised passing opportunities.

I'll always give cyclists room but when groups string out along a road preventing safe passing etc they are only increasing danger for themselves as motorists attempt riskier passes.

Last edited:

scott43

Skier
Not watched the video. But in general as in all activities some cyclists have a respect problem. Thinking particulatly of those barrelling along urban streets like they are in an ITT scattering pedestrians before them or riding 3 abreast on group rides on narrow country lanes preventing any motorised passing opportunities.

I'll always give cyclists room but when groups string out along a road preventing safe passing etc they are only increasing danger for themselves as motorists attempt riskier passes.
Aren't a lot of people like this though? Like try the other drivers on the road...

Unpiste

Booting down
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Cyclists running lights or stop signs never really bothered me. I personally think it’s easier to visually “clear” an intersection while approaching on a bike than in a vehicle.
I think it’s easier to stop quickly if need be on a bike, and at the end of the day, the cyclist is going to lose every time if they choose poorly.

so, if an intersection is clear and they want to take that chance, have at it
And how do you think a driver is going to feel when they plow into you after you fail to adequately “clear” an intersection? Do you think the experience will be less traumatic because they “won”?

I didn’t even bring up stop signs, because everyone rolls through stop signs at speed these days, but honestly I find that pretty silly. It’s really not hard to take a moment to at least slow down. I do that every single time I go through a stop sign on a bike, and it’s never been more than the most minor of inconveniences.

Running red lights is flat out stupid. Running red lights by swerving into a space reserved for pedestrians, at speed doubly so. I’d gladly direct anyone who thinks otherwise to the thread’s title.

How can you expect anyone else to respect your presence and space on the road when you don’t respect even the most basic rules that apply to its use?

Last edited:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I've never meet anything on the road that challenged a 9 axle truck
I worked at a gold mine for a while a few summers ago. The rule of thumb was "he with the most lugnuts has the right of way". Bicycles have zero.

777-1.jpg

These guys ALWAYS had more lug nuts.

Running red lights by swerving into the crosswalk doubly so.
This really ticks me off. We live close to UNR and the number of riders who haul azz down the side streets then swerve into the crosswalk like it has magic safety powers is nuts. Like Superintendent Chalmers said, "are you a pedestrian or a vehicle"?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Aren't a lot of people like this though? Like try the other drivers on the road...

There's a word beloved of Anglophone transportation departments everywhere. '

Multimodal adj. Having or using a variety of modes or methods to perform a function, achieve a goal or operate. In a sentence:
Self-centered jerks have multimodal, individually convenient access to public roads.

See also
Intermodal
Personality Stability and Change

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
@Andy Mink that rule of lug nuts is universal in construction. Those 775 CAT wagons are a beast.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I can't watch a 34 minute video about ANYTHING, EXCEPT MAYBE SKIING.

FIFY!

... or riding 3 abreast on group rides on narrow country lanes preventing any motorised passing opportunities.

So, since cyclists do occasionally ride in groups, which is better, a long single file, or a much shorter double file? I feel like I can never win on this one with motorists, and I think some small percentage of them are just looking for something to "unlike" about cyclist behavior.

@Andy Mink that rule of lug nuts is universal in construction. Those 775 CAT wagons are a beast.

I grew up with the Euclid predecessor to these. The original rubber-tired hybrid vehicle IIRC: one big diesel powering a generator that powered electric motors in each hub.

scott43

Skier
Reminds me of that article on driving the Dalton Highway,... To paraphrase: people drive with the knowledge that they alone are responsible for the actions while driving... :ogbiggrin:

Sponsor