• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Do factory waxes contain fluoro?

MikeHunt

Getting on the lift
Skier
Or is it too expensive for ski manufacturers to use wax with fluoro?

Tried to google but couldn't find any result.

I'm talking about the wax from new skis bought off the retail shop floor or online.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
Or is it too expensive for ski manufacturers to use wax with fluoro?

Tried to google but couldn't find any result.

I'm talking about the wax from new skis bought off the retail shop floor or online.
It's not "too expensive" per se... but it's not worth the extra cost to them, to maximize profit.

Unpiste

Booting down
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Is factory wax actually a thing?

To the extent that it is, I’d think fluoro would actually be a negative, especially if it’s applied in a way that penetrates the base at all. A hydrocarbon wax will protect from oxidization just fine and should be compatible with anything you want to put on top of it.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Factory wax is a thing. Lots of race skis come with the structure obscured, notably Atomics. TBH, my recollection is that Atomic is about the only one with visible wax that requires removal prior to skiing or any new ski prep work. Others just get an ultra-thin coat that isn't even worth trying to scrape; brush, yes. Probably a lot of mid to lower end skis with nothing.

I doubt that the factory wax has flouro. I think that their intent is to protect the bases in transit when they leave it 'proud' on the skis like on Atomic race skis.

James

Out There
Instructor
Is factory wax actually a thing?
With fluoros, I’m just going to say no. With no knowledge. Especially now after fluoros sre being banned. It’s not the amount on one ski, it’s buying in bulk and having it airborne in the factory. Just no point to pay more for more risk and no benefit. When’s the last time a review mentioned factory wax?

Factory wax is a thing, but it’s just for a little shine to look good and a bit of protection. For some people, it’s the most wax they’ll have in years.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Like @Doug Briggs said, some Atomic race skis come with a fairly thick coating of wax. IME, the SL(s) come out of the wrapper with what looks like a regular brushed wax job. OTOH, the GS(s) usually have a very heavy wax coat. Too thick to scrape easily. I usually heat it up with a iron and do a hot scrape to remove the wax prior to tuning.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Actually some of Fischer race service xc skis come out of factory with several fluoro wax cycles in them (until now, but god knows what will be after FIS and IBU announced (partial) fluoro ban to be effective already in 2021/22 season). For normal store skis, I doubt they come with any waxing at all, even less with fluoro.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Actually some of Fischer race service xc skis come out of factory with several fluoro wax cycles in them (until now, but god knows what will be after FIS and IBU announced (partial) fluoro ban to be effective already in 2021/22 season). For normal store skis, I doubt they come with any waxing at all, even less with fluoro.
That's because the typical buyer of a high end nordic model cares a LOT about how efficient his or her skis are, and can tell right off if they're fast or not. When your glide comes from muscle, not gravity, good wax is not a "nice to have."

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
But wouldn’t grind matter more?
Grind is very important. Many nordic tuning shops don't do alpine skis so as not to contaminate the emulsion with metal debris.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
@James grind matters more, but it's not just grind. It's more like 60/40 for grind. With xc waxing and grinding is science, with alpine it's more like joke (been there, done that...) ;) Nowadays, with current machines, they actually grind skis for specific conditions before the race (years ago, when I was in this, it was impossible as you got new ski out of this, but now they take so little off, that ski is still race ready after grind). But wax is still huge part of this, and with right or wrong wax you can win or lose the race. With alpine, wrong wax and wrong grind, still won't make you lose race, unless you screw up really really big time.