• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Do graphics really matter? For real, do they?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
When your skis are covered with snow, graphics don't matter :yahoo:
Photo taken Tuesdays in The Snow at Mt Rose, @Philpug @Andy Mink @Tricia :yeah:
D16F7395-A37E-4D71-973B-4EDD972422E0.jpeg

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier
In Europe, you get more cable cars and gondolas. And when you're taking off your skis and stacking them up, the snow can come off and expose the top sheets. So around here, really horrible top sheets could potentially be a concern.

But, they would have to be pretty bad.

James

Out There
Instructor
People don’t buy them with snow on.
Everyone has their graphic limits. I rejected a Dynastar Menace replacement for last years elegantly styled Slicer. Actually I pre-rejected last yr, so the shop owner just said no. Good news is I may get the Black Ops. Ugly, but acceptable and a better ski.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
A skis graphics is equivalent to seeing a prospective mate from across the room. How it skis /how the person treats you is what's most important but it all usually starts with a surface level attraction.

There are exceptions. My 2015 Volkl Kenjas are boring as hell looking but I LOVE the way they ski.

Last edited:

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
As a waterski builder, graphics are very important. My waterskis must be a light color to avoid overheating in the intense sun. The light color should also be contrasting enough to show the judges that the ski is in the air. Having different colors for tip and tail was helpful as a coaching aid (load the red end!).

Snow skis need to be visible. Finding a fluorescent ski that has come off on a powder day is much easier than finding a white one. And you really want to flaunt that daffy. Perhaps a bump skier would be helped by white base to make it look like the skis are always on the snow and a bright top to match the kneepads.

Custom graphics are also very helpful finding your skis after lunch.

Wasting a lot of weight for fancy graphic layers will hurt a ski's performance - thinks this weight fanatic.

A little silicone spray on the tops helps minimize snow buildup on the top so your graphics show up (and the ski stays lighter).

Eric

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
So who will be the first manufacturer to market a ski with a topskin graphic that looks like a thin coating of snow?
Pretty close. Moment Deathwish Tour. Even has some built in shadow to make them really hard to find!
ONECOL.jpg

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
So many literal posts here. Where's the fun in that?

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
^^^ That's hilarious!

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
When your skis are covered with snow, graphics don't matter :yahoo:
Photo taken Tuesdays in The Snow at Mt Rose, @Philpug @Andy Mink @Tricia :yeah:
View attachment 86354

They dont matter while skiing I tell you that.

Well unless you loose a ski in deep powder... :roflmao:

Yes If I really like how a ski skis and the graphics (to me) are ugly then I wont buy it or at least look at other options before buying it.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Do graphics matter? If somebody like me wasn't writing the graphics drivers that are enabling you to read anything on your computer screen how would you be wasting time? You'd have to be *gasp* working! It would be the dark ages!

In other news, you should be buying computers with AMD Radeon graphics (aka, our competitors suck. Not that I'm biased). :cool:

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
If I owned a ski shop I would have a have a rack stocked with cans of spray paint, right beside the ski wall.

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
Then there are the skateboarders, who buy a deck with the most rad graphics they can find, and then take it to a skate park and grind it all off in an afternoon on the rails.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January