• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Do graphics really matter? For real, do they?

Chef23

Getting on the lift
Skier
I ski in New England and unfortunately our skis aren't usually covered in snow.

I remember when the K2 KVC came out the Pink on the bottoms looked awesome when they flashed visible in bumps. Personally it doesn't really impact my decision but it doesn't hurt. I have never loved the way a ski performed and not purchased it because of the graphics.

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I also tell people to go to Fastsigns. :) I hope to make few custom wraps for some skis and a snowboard.
Maybe a dumb question - are these permanent, on the ski, or are they just something to protect topsheets during transportation and you take them off to use the ski?

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If I owned a ski shop I would have a have a rack stocked with cans of spray paint, right beside the ski wall.
When I worked at an outdoor gear shop we often had people complain about the big, white North Face logo on the black hats and fleece jackets. We would comment that the North Face knew that it wasn’t for everyone, and they had a special marker to black it out. ;)
Our jaws dropped one day when we got a customer who came up to the register and insisted on getting the ‘special marker’, even after we tried to tell him it was just a joke, and to use any old marker.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Maybe a dumb question - are these permanent, on the ski, or are they just something to protect topsheets during transportation and you take them off to use the ski?
Vinyl wraps are more permanent. You need a heat gun to remove properly. They protect the official top, somewhat too.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
as @James said, very few skis really bothered me. in general I don't care about them. I am always happy when a ski I buy looks good but I just don't care. RE Black Ops.. Interesting top sheets, not sure if I think the cat is really cool or not. the 182, 98 is simply a phenomenal ski so I don't care.

Last edited:

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I will admit that some graphics are cooler than others and I think they do help sell skis. I have never cared for the graphics that match when the skis are side by side because people would always keep the same ski on the same foot. I am a person that likes to switch skis left and right although it was not always my preferences. The graphics also help sell bindings and clothing. Manufacturers do tend to keep ski colors in mind when selecting colors for bindings, sweaters, poles, and boots. When I was much younger I did try to have color coordination with my equipment but that is a long past option and it may have something to do with age. When we are young the "cool factor" can be an interesting part of our skiing life.

Mr.PNW

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
For me, I wouldn't not buy skis because they aren't cool enough, but I would definitely avoid buying a pair because of a design I don't like.

I second the www.norkasports.com ski wrap option. I got wraps through them 3 seasons ago and they're still holding up great.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I will admit that some graphics are cooler than others and I think they do help sell skis. I have never cared for the graphics that match when the skis are side by side because people would always keep the same ski on the same foot. I am a person that likes to switch skis left and right although it was not always my preferences. The graphics also help sell bindings and clothing. Manufacturers do tend to keep ski colors in mind when selecting colors for bindings, sweaters, poles, and boots. When I was much younger I did try to have color coordination with my equipment but that is a long past option and it may have something to do with age. When we are young the "cool factor" can be an interesting part of our skiing life.
My Atomic Vantages have graphics that match across the skis. But I just switch them around anyway, to theoretically wear the edges evenly.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
original.jpg

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Do you ever wear them switched between your feet?

Those are my brother's Shaggys so I don't know if he does. My rental Atomics lower left with custom black crayon initials haha.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
People don’t buy them with snow on.
Everyone has their graphic limits. I rejected a Dynastar Menace replacement for last years elegantly styled Slicer. Actually I pre-rejected last yr, so the shop owner just said no. Good news is I may get the Black Ops. Ugly, but acceptable and a better ski.

I liked the older Slicer graphics too until I realized how much they blend in with the rest of the carving ski line up from Dynastar. Skied with friends who have Speed Zone skis and they look the same which is not what you want in a fun freestyle/freeride ski. Lol

And after seeing the Menace 98 in person with appropriate Forza Pivot bindings(Flash Yellow Attacks also acceptable) they have differently grown on me. Btw-The Slicers are SHOCKINGLY GOOD skis. Think a 187cm version could easily take the place of my 185cm Enforcer 93 and 186cm Enforcer 104 skis in one ski with even more stability, edge hold and ease in tight spots than the Enforcers.

5CD43137-787E-4119-ADEA-4D91B10650B2.jpeg

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
A ski doesn't have to be beautiful for me to buy it, but it does help; I won't buy a truly ugly or offensive ski. There were lots of skull type graphics that I would never buy and I really hated the original VJJs. Before anybody goes off on me about that - my cousin has worked for Armada for years and, yes, I know a woman designed those graphics. They were still too ugly for me.

I wouldn't even demo the VJJs, I hated the graphics so much.

lisamamot

Lisa MA MOT
Skier
I wouldn't demo those because of the name. My rock skis are pretty damn ugly. They look like unicorn vomit:

View attachment 86995

I think your “unicorn vomit” rock skis are beautiful! I don’t care for anything too girly, but generally love color and creative graphics. While I don’t own any, the smaller boutique brands seem to do a great job with top sheets.

Topsheet does matter to me - no mistaking that initial eye candy pull! When I got my Santa Ana I bought the previous year model both for price and top sheet color.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I wouldn't demo those because of the name. My rock skis are pretty damn ugly. They look like unicorn vomit:

View attachment 86995

1576074512801.png

Yep... seems about right. But I like them!! And the fact that they gave them a really hardcore sounding name, but still chose to make them that colorful.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I often buy skis used, so graphics are immaterial. However, I will say when I owned a pair of Head Rock 'N Rolls, I used to get LOTS of comments from lifties about how cool the Motorhead graphics were.
On the other hand, I bought a pair of very cheap women's Star 7 skis skis b/c they were the same skis as the men's Super 7....and I feel a tad self-conscious about the purple and white "girl" graphics every time I go out.