• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Do most skiers have a type?

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Like most, I am not in a position to demo or use different skis so make do with whatever I own that is currently 3 working pairs. For the high elevation packed powder snow I most ski that is a mid fat at 88mm at boot I very carefully considered before gambling to buy and now consider a winner. My soft bouncy Rossi S7 at 110mm are also perfect for my powder skiing style. Am happy!

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Since I ski pretty much local here in the NE, I don't really have a need to >90MM skis anymore. And as my skills improve, ski waist has gone down. My now ski everything skis is the Head SS i-Magnum (70mm). I do have Blizzard Bushwacker (2011) for powder days when I just want to surf instead of carve. I barely used my V76 which were my favorite for last season. At this point, if I can get a great deal, I might go for a legit FIS SL skis for next season.

Do people consider i-Magnum playful? V76 definitely isn't while Bushwacker is playful.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My type of skis is a fat carver and a playful type of low 100's freeride inspired ski. Currently those spots are occupied by the Renoun Atlas and a Fischer Ranger 102fr. Got a bunch of other skis that I use but those two are the ones I like the best.

As for type of skiing, I really enjoy skiing smoothly. This could be turns on a groomer, powder turns, bumps, or skiing through crud. If I can pull it off and feel like I'm skiing smoothly then it's a really wonderful time.

Après Skier

Amateur Skier & Professional Curmudgeon
Skier
I like a playful & forgiving mid-fat (90-100mm) with partial twin tip.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have a type. fortunately, I married her. Stay back guys, she's mine.
538026AF-0ECC-4963-A8D1-85DB5B62011F.JPG

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
My type is versatile skis in the 100-112mm bracket. Not so fat they are pure powder skis nor so chargey they don't accomodate in the bumps. Yeah they give up quite a lot in pure hardpack but payback if it is softer or churns up later in the day/spring etc.
For me, that is a powder ski

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes. 118-66-100 or similar. I am talking curvy. And tall-around 180 cm. Perfection.

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
I used to ski on only traditionally mounted skis, but I've embraced the the more playful ones in recent years. I find freestyle skis to be a lot of fun in trees and tight situations. I really like them in the backcountry.

I still use traditional skis, especially if I am skiing faster in more open areas. Or on really firm snow.

In terms of width....I like big skis, I cannot lie. My six skis range from 95-122mm underfoot.

I also seem to favor long turning radius...19 to 33m.

I mostly ski offpiste at a resort, and 50% of my time is spent in the backcountry.

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
Former collegiate and still active racer, I currently use 4 different pairs of skis, they range from 65mm all the way up to 68mm underfoot. :) I toy with buying something more versatile, but not sure i can give up the feel of a race or near-race ski just yet.

The only times I've been on "wide" skis were trips out to CO where I rented skis out there more suitable for the conditions. They were some Volkls, probably in the 80-90mm range? It took me a few runs to get used to the slower transition, but once I started skiing like an old man, they better.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Former collegiate and still active racer, I currently use 4 different pairs of skis, they range from 65mm all the way up to 68mm underfoot. :) I toy with buying something more versatile, but not sure i can give up the feel of a race or near-race ski just yet.

The only times I've been on "wide" skis were trips out to CO where I rented skis out there more suitable for the conditions. They were some Völkls, probably in the 80-90mm range? It took me a few runs to get used to the slower transition, but once I started skiing like an old man, they better.
I can relate. I live in the land of hard snow and ice. All my skis, save the one I bought after skiing on Vancouver Island and trying out some of the wider skis, are 68 mm wide, even my former "deep snow" ski. However, I think you may be missing out on something. These wide rockered skis were not really made for skiing like an old man, although they will do that. What they do best, at least the good ones, is transition quickly...... between pure arc carving to a smeared turn or a quick pivot in deep snow. They were made to maximize fun in deep snow tree skiing.

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
I can relate. I live in the land of hard snow and ice. All my skis, save the one I bought after skiing on Vancouver Island and trying out some of the wider skis, are 68 mm wide, even my former "deep snow" ski. However, I think you may be missing out on something. These wide rockered skis were not really made for skiing like an old man, although they will do that. What they do best, at least the good ones, is transition quickly...... between pure arc carving to a smeared turn or a quick pivot in deep snow. They were made to maximize fun in deep snow tree skiing.
I am sure i am missing something under certain conditions, but i know what east coast conditions I encounter most often are and what ski makes that the most enjoyable for me. I'd rather sacrifice deep snow capabilities than hard snow carving if I had to make a choice between those two.