• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Do most skiers use the wrong skis

Pacobillie

Putting on skis
Skier
We already know that most people wear the wrong size of ski boots. I can only imagine that the same is true of skis, and not just in terms of size, but also type and width of skis BTW. Indeed, most people buy skis without the prior benefit of an on the snow demo.

This begs the question, do people buy the wrong skis and why? I personally think that a majority do buy the wrong skis.

Let me suggest a few possible reasons:

1) Poor understanding of the attributes of each different ski type;
2) Skewed or inadequate understanding of one's own strength and weaknesses as a skier:
3) Buyers are unduly influenced by marketing hype:
4) Buyers are wed to a specific brand, because it is what they have skied in the past or what their friend skis.
5) Mistaken belief that better equipment will obviate technical flaws;
6) Buying a specific ski because its color/graphics fit one's boots/garments;
7) lack of opportunity to do an on the snow demo.

Am I right or wrong?

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
I can make the right ski the wrong ski and vice versa by changing where and how I ski. Terrain is constantly changing from minute to minute such that the right ski at 8AM is the wrong ski at 9AM. I have a few skis, though they all fit into a very narrow spectrum of what *I* like to ski on (My widest ski is 68mm underfoot). I can make them do nearly anything, they are not optimal for certain conditions, but they 100% rip when on the right hill/snow. Does that mean I am on the wrong skis?

It's hard to change skis every run all day long, like you change golf clubs nearly every shot. Imagine having to carry 13 other pairs of skis while you ski on one?

TS
P

Pacobillie

Putting on skis
Skier
Phil:

You are taking all the fun out of this. I must have nissed something! Any other reasons why people buy the wrong skis?

CascadeConcrete

Out on the slopes
Skier
Any other reasons why people buy the wrong skis?

I think one of the most common reasons people end up on the wrong skis is what I will call optimistic or aspirational ski selection. Basically, I think a lot of skiers buy skis with the conditions they want to ski in mind, not necessarily what they actually ski most of the time.

RickyG

Faction Fan
Contributor
Pacobillie very well put, and the industry/shops aid this mismatch by buying at the show what their perception of what the customer wants, so when the customer comes in they get reinforcement of that they "want", not what they need. Sort of a closed loop. Now more on hill demos by companies would go along way to help. Here is a video everyone needs to watch...
PSIA-AASI
National Academy 2019: Wide-Ski Research – Indoor Lecture

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
'Marketing hype' - does that also include reviews by retailers that have an interest in the skis being portrayed as 'can do everything' when in fact it cannot (because they want to sell the thing)? Also, these reviews are all constructed from the perspective of the ski, obviously (this ski is good at.... This ski is best suited for..., etc.). There is no other way to do it without having a specific customer in front of you. But shouldn't ski selection always start with that customer, that specific skier, and his/her preferences and abilities? If the OP's reasons 1 and 2 are in play (I think they often are), then all the self-assessments in the world will not get you a great match with any ski review.

Another thing. I know quite a few people that say 'I did demo this ski before I bought it.' Great. At least you know what you're buying. But have you tried other skis as well? And maybe even other types of skis? If you haven't, how do you know that there isn't a ski even better suited for your particular style?

Last edited:

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
I've deliberately bought the "wrong" ski. It was available at a great price (used) and was good enough for my needs. It was not optimal for my skill and the ski area/conditions I normally ski. But the price!!! It was nearly free. So why not?

I got my money's worth.

Add to your list of reasons:

8) Unable or unwilling to afford the time/money to select and buy the optimal ski. Willing to settle for "good enough".

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
Not trying to get philosophical here, but when is a ski 'wrong' for you? Sure, there may always be a better option that you haven't thought of, or haven't had the chance to ski or buy.

But if a ski works for you, can it even be 'wrong'?

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This begs the question, do people buy the wrong skis and why? I personally think that a majority do buy the wrong skis.

Can you say any ski is the wrong ski to buy? It will be good in at least one type of terrain/snow condition.

How about: "Do most people buy the optimum ski for them?"

That's the question to ask and the answer is very few skiers do for all the reasons you list. My number one reason is they haven't tried enough to know what is the optimum ski for them (unless we are talking Laser AX, and then you can't go wrong ;) )

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Isn't it why we have quivers? 13 pairs of skis and we still take the wrong ones to the hill :P

6a1c2a3d8a8268699dad73420c4b2def.jpg

TS
P

Pacobillie

Putting on skis
Skier
I've deliberately bought the "wrong" ski. It was available at a great price (used) and was good enough for my needs. It was not optimal for my skill and the ski area/conditions I normally ski. But the price!!! It was nearly free. So why not?

I got my money's worth.

Add to your list of reasons:

8) Unable or unwilling to afford the time/money to select and buy the optimal ski. Willing to settle for "good enough".
In that case, you did not buy the wrong ski; you made a compromise, based upon what you could afford. It was the right ski for you, for the money that you were willing to spend. The topic is about people who spend a lot of money, or at least as much as they would have spent for the right ski, and end up for the wrong ski for them.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
9) $. Buyer won't shell out for the ski (or type of ski) that suits his needs, and buys a much cheaper ski, failing to take in the big-picture total cost of his skiing (e.g. heavier intermediate skier needing more ski than a limp beginner model). Buyer springs for something because it was on sale at a great price, even though it doesn't suit his needs. Some shops (again, not referring to anyone here) are far too often willing to accommodate these buyers.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
In that case, you did not buy the wrong ski; you made a compromise, based upon what you could afford. It was the right ski for you, for the money that you were willing to spend. The topic is about people who spend a lot of money, or at least as much as they would have spent for the right ski, and end up for the wrong ski for them.
Sorry, I must have missed that point. I didn't realize it was only for folks who buy the wrong ski when they could easily have afforded the right ski. Still the wrong ski - the right ski would have been a used one. ogwink

Ken in LA

Pulling down the safety bar
Skier
7) lack of opportunity to do an on the snow demo.
I am personally having difficulty finding the skis I would like to try available for demo. There also seems to be a trend among western ski shops to stock primarily very wide skis. Those of us who like a playful “mid fat“ are left with fewer choices.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Related to marketing hype is peer influence. This is especially obvious in the east, where younger skiers (primarily) see videos and read about cool dudes skiing wide skis. Hence the proliferation of 100+ waisted skis found in bro-posses skiing at such notable powder havens as Whiteface, Mt. Snow, or Killington.

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
IMO its the ski industry as a whole that has changed, When I was a young kid in the 60's we really only had Ski , Skiing magazines and Warren Miller films to see where skiing was and what the future is , The magazines may have always hyped the skiing scene but also brought us along with articles in basic ski technique and new twists on technique. The extreme ski revolution left the 99.2% of us behind beginning in the 80's . Ski manufactures only followed what folks are asking for, unfortunately the consumer is looking at all the hype and thinking that that's the ticket to make themselves like the skiers in todays media, skiing in endless pow on a steep tree run at 50 MPH Hucking off cliffs. I don't really think many will get there following that path but maybe .8% will. 99% of us here know our limits and many such as myself are on the backside of the mogul. I have seen a few skiers that on barrel staves would make it look easy but thy all have one thing Proper Fundamentals

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I am personally having difficulty finding the skis I would like to try available for demo. There also seems to be a trend among western ski shops to stock primarily very wide skis. Those of us who like a playful “mid fat“ are left with fewer choices.
^^^ This. In SoCal, it can be extremely difficult to find a ski to demo for say ... powder. Then we are at a big mountain during a powder day, but we rarely want to go in and switch out skis. The ones on our feet are the right ski for that day ... not necessarily for the long term spot in the quiver though. My only demo opportunity for years was on vacation and I really didn't want to spend my time in and out of the shop switching out skis. Have I bought the wrong ski in the past? Yup. It was a ski that I didn't enjoy as much as other skis. But I've never hated a ski. Of course, this is yet another reason that I am looking forward to a season of Tahoe skiing!

Sponsor