• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Do the apparel industry and stockists produce and stock a higher quantity of the median jacket and pants size?

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
Not skiing clothes, but this is interesting.
15122951_10209489491971966_4860566531823595761_o.jpg

ThomasD

Getting off the lift
Skier
What's on paper and what you can actually get as a retail customer are often very different. Not just in the pandemic. I haven't done this in the last three years or so, but I went back and forth with Arc and some other companies on exactly this issue. They basically shrugged and said "We sold all twelve pairs we made at the beginning of the season. You can wait to see if we make more next year." I'm not exaggerating about the "twelve" either; that's literally what they told me. Twelve pairs. For the world.
Went to the Patagonia store in PC about a week ago with something of a shopping list in mind. Left with nothing. And I'm not a super hard fit - 5'10 180 lbs, trim other than tree trunk thighs - usually a tight medium or loose large with most brands. They had some of what I wanted, just not in my size, or in anything but black.

When margins are tight it is thought better to lose a sale than have to eat unsold merch. This approach also keeps your stuff from showing up at a discount - thus protecting your initial high pricing.

The step up from being a low volume (e.g. Arc'teryx) to high volume (Columbia) producer is gigantic.