• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Do Unkind Reviews of Skis Still Exist in the General Media?

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
1. The US and Canada are pretty young countries, so we're still optimistic, and buy skis for the conditions we hope to ski -- POWDER!

2. Europe is old, and knows better, so buys for what they actually ski the vast majority of the time. Groomers.

I lik
I basically agree but also add to keep in mind that the Alpine racing tradition is firmly embedded in Europe. If you’re Austrian for example, the ski team is a BIG deal. People who don’t even ski watch televised ski racing which is on often.That’s part of the reason I suspect and why most of the good front side , narrow-ish carving skis come out of Europe. This may change as freeride is everywhere but idolizing and emulating ski racers is a tradition that goes back generations in Europe.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Great reviews. I'm bookmarking the website.
You should have a search function that let's viewers like me (who don't speak Dutch or German or.... ) look up reviews for skis of interest that are in their languages of choice. Maybe you have it, and I just didn't have enough time to find it.

A good honest review is hard to find. I remember a couple of years ago I was looking for a wider ski for use on Vancouver Island and storm days. All the reviews I found on line were saying the new Bonafide was a great high speed ski despite the new model's shorter radius. I tried it. I found it was a great ski, but not for high speeds. It lacked precision at carved long radius turns suited for high speeds; if you tipped it up enough to hold the line at that g-force and speed it would dial up too short a turn and skid. Eventually enough other folk who actually did ski fast (not only thought they skied fast) also tried it, and the reviewers had to eat their words.
Blame imprecise language. Fast, damp, playful. Long turn, short turn.

The best you can hope for us a description of a skis personality, not performance. Caveat emptor.

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
I keep records of how many powder days I get, and how many "old snow days" also:
with averages of around 100 days a season if I'm uninjured,
consistently about a third of my days are soft snow powder/chop/crud days each season.

About a third of my skis are soft snow skis, of one sort or another.

(I didn't plan this out, it just happened over time.)

I think maybe a lot of folks really into skiing have something similar happen,
which means a lot of wider, soft snow skis make people's quivers appropriately.

This is similar-ish to where I am I think. If you add off piste variable hard snow (where I kind of get how one could use a carver in preference to other tools but it's not my thing), I think it covers ~60-80+% of my days most years. The groomer only days are honestly not that common for me, perhaps the problem is I don't ski in "The East", rather I ski at specific resorts in New England that will sometimes have natural snow and I don't ski "The West" as I tend to gravitate towards extremely snowy resorts in Jan-March. I dunno, maybe I'm doing it wrong missing out on all the loud pow in Ontario...

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ and I love the finishing comment:
.... "If you want to experience the fear that some skiers suffer from – try this ski. It knocks all confidence out of you in just a few turns."

Sponsor

Staff online