• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Do volkl racetiger skis need waxing

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
wax wax wax.

the most eager of us wax every time we ski, and of course leave wax on over summer as storage wax, bases love it.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
Not only are the ptex bases not maintenance free, neither are the edges. They need regular sharpening and honing.

James

Out There
Instructor
Maintenance free edges. Like those kitchen knives on tv that cut through a concrete block then slice a tomato?
As kids we were so disappointed when it failed to cut through a parking meter pole.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If you want to race, you will need to wax to gain the real time advantage that advanced waxing offers.

I am not savvy enough with wax selection and best techniques to wax to an advantage. My ability to feel an effect from waxing is gone after one run regardless. I've never had a ski fail due to lack of wax - and my skis rarely get waxed. Ptex is designed to be pretty good. So wax is pretty low on my priorities.

Realistically, most people won't notice whether a ski has been waxed without a stopwatch or some race measure (racing a buddy?).

Edges are a different issue. On hard snow, edges might need to be worked on daily. At least frequently for a race ski. Even I can really feel a difference from sharp edges. If you get your skis tuned up in a shop, they will probably wax as well. Great! But don't get a wax without the tune.

I've had edges rust over the summer so tune at the start of the season. And store with a block between the skis to preserve the camber.

Eric

fundad77

Aspiring Ski Bum
Skier
Just had to reply to this thread. I used to be once a season or every other season waxer as I thought I really don't want to go super fast anyways. Now I wax as much as possible sometimes every day of skiing if my schedule allows. I am not skiing any faster but the skis turn so much better when they are waxed and now I love the feel of a freshly waxed ski.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
All skis perform better when waxed, scraped and brushed regularly.
The bases should also get a machine grind occasionally depending on the amount of use & conditions. Hard, old coarse snow will wear the bases quicker than fresh cold snow.
The edges should also get regular maintenance.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Just had to reply to this thread. I used to be once a season or every other season waxer as I thought I really don't want to go super fast anyways. Now I wax as much as possible sometimes every day of skiing if my schedule allows. I am not skiing any faster but the skis turn so much better when they are waxed and now I love the feel of a freshly waxed ski.
BINGO!!

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Yeah, that's me too from...some years ago. You ski happily and blissfully unaware of stuff like type of wax, base grinds and edge angles and then you join SkiTalk and your life becomes obsessive nightmare. :roflmao: :roflmao:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
What if they were treated with Phantom? :huh: Ya I know the person who asks if skis need waxing didn't go DPS Phantom... yet. But they could right?

Sponsor

Staff online