• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Do you do jumps?

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I like doing jumps. But the jumps I do are pretty much side hits and natural terrain jumps. Nothing really big and I only ever do a simply grab or a shifty off them. Since I'm patrolling pretty much every day I ski, I try not to do too much as you don't really want to be seeing your ski patrollers going off jumps and crashing in uniform.

This is just about the biggest I've gone this year, take off is just out of frame on the left and I landed somewhere just off the right side of the frame.
20210307_164924.jpg

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
When I wore a younger man's clothes, I used to love being in the air. I used to search the back side of Mt. Washington BC for steep lines and features I could jump off of. I recall finding two moderately steep lines that were sepearated by some thick trees (too thick to carry much speed through and still avoid the trees). I got the bright idea to turn into the mountain on my right near the end of the first section and jib off of it, clearing the trees. It worked like a charm! The next morning I tried the exact same line. Well the snow was stickier and my wax was not as fresh; the tree tops snagged my skis and tripped me up. I cleared the stand of trees but landed badly and didn't make the required turn upon landing. Instead I got to practice my forearm blocks, fortunately I had the benefit of a dozen or two sapplings bringing me to a stop instead of one big tree.

I then spent a long time in Eastern Canada where there aren't a lot of features to jump off. I still enjoyed being air-borne, and got lots of high speed air off rollers and what not. When Parks became a thing, I did hit the jumps.

Flash forward to a few years ago. Diabetes did a number on my balance. Instead of challenging my balance by walking across the top of Armco barriers along bridges, I'm standing on one foot long enough to put on my pants and boots.

I play it by (middle) ear. I got into the habit of starting each season doing rollers, then very small jumps, and working my way up to the bigger jumps we have at our little hill, which would be small jumps at a big hill.

This year I haven't hit a single jump. The only air I found was skiing along on uneven runs. Not enough time in the season to work up to it in our shortened season. I was about to Last Saturday, but my season just got cut due to a concussion that afternoon ( I now recall I got tripped up trying to do too many short turns in too small a space when my skis didn't quite roll over as fast as I expected - I'm blaming the new boots ogwink).

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I love jumps. I even took a terrain park clinic at Mammoth to help improve--- didn't help too much unfortunately. But I did manage to jump some of the medium largish features. My favorites are hips since they provide a nice bailout and you can incrementally go bigger.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I love jumps. I even took a terrain park clinic at Mammoth to help improve--- didn't help too much unfortunately. But I did manage to jump some of the medium largish features. My favorites are hips since they provide a nice bailout and you can incrementally go bigger.

Are hips the sides of the big ramp jumps that are in parks? I don't jump off anything that launches me upwards anymore but I do love drops where I can get air by going straight off or down.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Since I'm patrolling pretty much every day I ski, I try not to do too much as you don't really want to be seeing your ski patrollers going off jumps and crashing in uniform.
The other patrol folks would LOVE to see that. FREE BEERS!
:beercheer:

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The more I ski, the more I do and the bigger they get, same goes in the other direction.

I must mention, occasionally they go wrong, hairline fractures in the spine as a result of a very simple jump (supposedly small) gone wrong 30+ years ago, still on some days feeling the effects today. I was lucky I didn’t break my neck.

Play hard, pay hard. (And now my bodies warranty is definitely up).

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Are hips the sides of the big ramp jumps that are in parks? I don't jump off anything that launches me upwards anymore but I do love drops where I can get air by going straight off or down.
Kinda. Hips are "jumps that have a perpendicular landing to the take off".
Inkedsmall-jump-and-hip.ashx_LI.jpg

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Jumping over something is always bonus...I especially like the American flag on the jump. Good job young men!

Last edited:

goaliedad

Getting on the lift
Skier
I spent a week at Targhee last week, and as I skied around I realized that I really am not all that comfortable doing jumps any more (of any size, not just the terrain park size). Curious about how many people do jumps, and, if you've stopped, when you did. I think I worked my way out of doing them a few years ago when a friend did a jump at Jackson Hole and blew out his knee. Although I still like the feel of getting some air, the risk/reward just isn't there for me any more.

I am fine at jumps. I suck at landings... :)

jseeski

Skiing a little BC powder
Skier
Diabetes did a number on my balance. Instead of challenging my balance by walking across the top of Armco barriers along bridges, I'm standing on one foot long enough to put on my pants and boots.
I've had Type 1 for many years. Still have both feet and all my hair.

I've never been very good at standing on one foot - mostly because I don't practice enough. Some of those one-foot yoga poses just don't come easily for me. On the other hand, I can ski fairly well one ski, which was a requirement for teaching 3-trackers at NSCD at Winter Park.

I've also never been much of a pilot. I keep the skis mostly on the ground. Like (I suspect) many people here, I've dropped the cornice on the west wall at A-Basin, but that's a pretty easy one. There's the occasional launch off a catwalk when the visibility is good and the landing is easy, but nothing serious. For most things, I prefer to absorb and extend so the skis stay at least loosely in contact with the snow. It's always fun in deep powder to kind of float off a lump of some kind and sink easily into the soft snow on landing. The skis may never actually clear the snow, but pressure is near zero for a little bit.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
I used to send very big cliffs while living in Jackson from 98 to 02. When I moved to Flagstaff I tried a few cliff lines but every time I did I would scrape rocks just before the take off. Our wind and intense solar has a negative impact on snow around the rocks so I stopped. I used to hit big park jumps too but as I’ve gotten older I’m really scared to get hurt. I’m 45 now and my body doesn’t bounce back like it used to, injuries and pain really linger and that’s no fun. I’ve also had around 12 concussions so I’m legit scared to hit my head again. My inner voice warns me about that.

Small airs that naturally work mid line or mid turn or off a roller or cornice are still within my comfort zone tho.

This is me jumping Smart Bastard back in 01/02. I smacked down pretty hard on this day, it was not nearly as soft as I hoped it would be. It felt like six inches on a fairly firm base.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online