Do you do jumps?

François Pugh

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I used to send very big cliffs while living in Jackson from 98 to 02. When I moved to Flagstaff I tried a few cliff lines but every time I did I would scrape rocks just before the take off. Our wind and intense solar has a negative impact on snow around the rocks so I stopped. I used to hit big park jumps too but as I’ve gotten older I’m really scared to get hurt. I’m 45 now and my body doesn’t bounce back like it used to, injuries and pain really linger and that’s no fun. I’ve also had around 12 concussions so I’m legit scared to hit my head again. My inner voice warns me about that.

Small airs that naturally work mid line or mid turn or off a roller or cornice are still within my comfort zone tho.

This is me jumping Smart Bastard back in 01/02. I smacked down pretty hard on this day, it was not nearly as soft as I hoped it would be. It felt like six inches on a fairly firm base.
George Foreman won the WBA heavyweight boxing championship at 45. Just say'n.
I'm with you on the importance of avoiding concussions though.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
George Foreman won the WBA heavyweight boxing championship at 45. Just say'n.
I'm with you on the importance of avoiding concussions though.
That’s awesome! All I know is that my body is telling me no more. The drive has diminished and I’m happy dad skiing. I still go fast and ski smooth and that’s enough for me at this age.

Last edited:

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
It's over at 4 minutes in.

Anyway, great stuff.... and some crazy stuff (to me anyway!) ... what's the blood from at 1:05? Ski? Pole? Knee?
Knee to my face after coming up short of my transition off a 40 footer.

LiquidFeet

lurking
Instructor
Did you wish you have a mouth guard when that happened?

For my one big jump (yes, it was big but it wasn't hospital air like your jumps) my knees hit my chin upon landing and I barely avoided biting the tongue in half. I skied off just fine, but that was the last big jump I ever did.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
Did you wish you have a mouth guard when that happened?

For my one big jump (yes, it was big but it wasn't hospital air like your jumps) my knees hit my chin upon landing and I barely avoided biting the tongue in half. I skied off just fine, but that was the last big jump I ever did.
I’m not sure a mouth guard would have helped, it was my nose that I broke.

Jeez, biting a chunk of tongue off would be extremely painful I’d imagine.