• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Do you ski with style?

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Does crashing with style count?? Based on the cheers and heckles Ive had from some of my better implosions right under the chair Id say, Yes I crash with style(but not much grace).
It reminds me of one of my diehard Texan ski buddies, got great memories of some of his famous lip stands, and he is the only one I ever seen do a cartwheel on skis. :roflmao:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Agreed... but sometimes that old style confuses me, with seemingly extra, unnecessary turns thrown in... very wiggly seemingly just for style.

To these eyes, it's not just for style and they're not unnecessary - he's adapting to differences in mogul spacing along the ski line. When the bumps to his left are too far apart, he throws in a quick 'dummy' turn to his right.

If he did anything other than a quick pivot during the 'dummy' bumps the skis would leave the ski line laterally, and would either be a PITA to retract or would carry him along for the ride - thunk thunk thunk SPLAT.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
The answer to the question is, what style are you talking about? It seems that what is "in" style changes every 10+ years. It seems it depends on when you learned to ski and what they were teaching at the time you learned. I have had lesson over the years and have been taught to ski in different methods, so I have no consistency in my style and now they teach wider stance the opposite of what I first learned. I don't know if you can say I even know how to ski, because I don't do what passes for good style today.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
I have said for a long time, skiing is art, not science.
Ma.jpg

Except here. :duck:

mister moose

Instigator
Skier
That's how I want to ski bumps. Effortless is the key word. Not sure if you call it style or flow. I need to get me some fat skis the ski bums on the lift are tellling me, smear my turns, not carve them.
There is a difference between being effortless and appearing effortless.

I think most skiers have style, get to know them and you can find them at a distance. Steeze, that comes and goes, it's like fashion. Skill is timeless.

Is steeze in the woods really steeze if no one sees it?

Maybe I'll get a nametag with "Style" printed on it, put it on one of my friends, and then I can say at the bar, "I ski with Style."

When it comings to pointing out style though, there's no better place to start than Donny Pelletier.

TS
East Coast Scott

East Coast Scott

Getting off the lift
Skier
There is a difference between being effortless and appearing effortless.

I think most skiers have style, get to know them and you can find them at a distance. Steeze, that comes and goes, it's like fashion. Skill is timeless.

Is steeze in the woods really steeze if no one sees it?

Maybe I'll get a nametag with "Style" printed on it, put it on one of my friends, and then I can say at the bar, "I ski with Style."

When it comings to pointing out style though, there's no better place to start than Donny Pelletier.

AKA Troy Murphy

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
Haven't ever skied with a demo team member who didn't rock, flow, or have the ability to turn it up to 11.
Would contend they use the same technique but have their own styles.
And truthfully the psia technique at its core is the most proficient and smoothest way to ski but if everyone skied exactly like that it would be very robotic.

Sponsor