• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Do you ski with style?

AtleB

Out on the slopes
Skier
There really aren’t any big fields of bumps in our resorts (Norway) to warrant buying specific skis, so for me it’s more a question of which skis in my quiver are better in the bumps.
My everyday ski is an older Blizzard Brahma 187 and it’s the ski I am most likely on when I encounter bumps.
Other skis include consumer SL skis (171cm), FIS graded GS skis (190ish cm,from several years ago), and a few powder boards.

Last edited:

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
Has this thread loosened up something in the space-time continuum????
Today, as I was taking a break, a woman who had been skiing behind me skied up and said "I like your style!"
HUH?????

First of all, no one has EVER commented on my "style".
Second, as far as I know, no one has ever had any reason to compliment me on my style.
:philgoat:
What gives?
I don't know your marital status, of any of your preferences, but you may have missed out on a wonderful opportunity.

ELDoane

Gravity Fed, Beer Cooled
Skier
Exiled from VT, trying to ski off the Capitol Dome
I Most likely won’t buy any mogul specific skis. But it would be fun to try some!!
Soft and short, what other traits are typical for bump skis?
Well, actually, you want pretty stiff for responsiveness and finishing turns if you're hammering in the bumps. But, if you're looking for a more general ski but still capable and fun in occasional mogul field, yes, softer can be helpful. Personally, I prefer something with a softer tip, some rise, and a tapered tail if I can. I still want it supportive, though, not a park noodle. Two example are the J Skis FastForward and any of the DPS Cassiar skis. Narrower is better, generally, like around an 75-85mm waist. But, there are tradeoffs. The FF is 92 underfoot and it does feel slower in the bumps, but the wider base is more stable, particularly if you are prone to launching yourself off a bump here and there.

Liberty Evolv series is really good for this, too. I've met guys who swear by the Evolv 90 as magic in bumps, despite its width. I can believe it. I actually enjoy my Liberty V76 in the bumps, to a degree, and certainly more than a similar shaped, but stiffer tipped carving stick.

D. Trenker

Putting on skis
Skier
Has this thread loosened up something in the space-time continuum????
Today, as I was taking a break, a woman who had been skiing behind me skied up and said "I like your style!"
HUH?????

First of all, no one has EVER commented on my "style".
Second, as far as I know, no one has ever had any reason to compliment me on my style.
:philgoat:
What gives?
A snowboarder collided with a moose, and you ran into a cougar :thumb:

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid