• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Do you ski with style?

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
That's how I want to ski bumps. Effortless is the key word. Not sure if you call it style or flow. I need to get me some fat skis the ski bums on the lift are tellling me, smear my turns, not carve them.
F that. I’ve been down sizing my daily drivers the last few years. Bending the ski and carving is one of the best sensations out there. The big, BIG fatties have their place and can do amazing things on the right day but for most days I’m on 90 to 100 under foot.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Perspective, perspective... ^^^^ To me 100 underfoot is where the " big fatties" category begins... 90,the mid fats...
All good! :beercheer: To me "Big fatties" begin around 115 and up....102-112 is my mid fat category. Anything below 100 is "Skinny" and I do a separate category for "Race Stock".

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
F that. I’ve been down sizing my daily drivers the last few years. Bending the ski and carving is one of the best sensations out there. The big, BIG fatties have their place and can do amazing things on the right day but for most days I’m on 90 to 100 under foot.

Perspective, perspective... ^^^^ To me 100 underfoot is where the " big fatties" category begins... 90,the mid fats...

All good! :beercheer: To me "Big fatties" begin around 115 and up....102-112 is my mid fat category. Anything below 100 is "Skinny" and I do a separate category for "Race Stock".

Right now I have one pair of skis, Blizzard-Firebird-WRC, they are GS skis, 68 under the foot. And I'm having a hard time turning them in the bumps. My next ski trip I'm going to demo some fatter skis, and most likely buy some. I'm getting back into skiing after 20 year layoff, so this fat ski stuff is all new to me.

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
Those Blizzard Firebird WRC..which lenght? I have an older pair of WRC, 186cm R 21mt, and admittedly those are not skis that I am using for free skiing (anymore) since building a quiver. I mostly ski with those in the gates. Dayily driver is a 175cm R18mt Volekl RaceTiger, as said (ad nauseam, I would add) I suck at skiing bumps, but the RaceTigers are good enough to ski some easy bumps with.

Reactions: Tex

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Obviously instructors need to study how their clients ski in order to provide advice and feedback so some are probably quite skilled at describing different styles. Now that this thread has run its course, it shows most of the rest of us pay only minor attention to how others ski. Even if paying attention, most might be able only to describe a few obvious things. The rest of us don't need to notice others and in most cases others don't like better skiers trying to size them up so we don't.

If a video was made on a few types of slopes recording large number of skiers skiing below fixed video camera points that was then carefully analyzed, I'd expect several main categories of skiing styles plus several more sub-types for skiing styles would result. Also expect many of we long experienced skiers could subconsciously recognize parts of many of these styles though would not be able to describe much with words though could pick out such in a video. Many differences in the way people ski would not be about style but rather type of slope and snow conditions skiing, skill level, skier size/weight, type of skis, and that skiers current skiing interest. Same skier skiing the same spot could look different over multiple runs. In any case some skiers as Plake related have very unique styles with Stein Eriksen one everyone knew so this is all on a Bell Curve. Thus to discuss styles requires some refinement in the OP's question and is more valid comparing advanced skiers versus say just intermediates because the latter is more about limited technique.

Personally I ski a lot of different ways that is often just the whim of the moment and yeah would tend to expect I am closer to the unique end of the Bell Curve. Skiing in different ways is an important part of enjoying anyone's day. Versus other advanced skiers, generally my form/style would appear much more turny with much separation, a stepping turn style, smooth at slow to moderate speeds, often dynamically bouncy rebounding, and include odd things as I aim to have fun playing, feeling my internal creature sensations. Also am usually in no hurry, enjoying stopping longer, occasionally going out into forested areas for several minutes alone absorbing unmolested snow landscapes with an eye out for intimate photo subjects.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Right now I have one pair of skis, Blizzard-Firebird-WRC, they are GS skis, 68 under the foot. And I'm having a hard time turning them in the bumps. My next ski trip I'm going to demo some fatter skis, and most likely buy some. I'm getting back into skiing after 20 year layoff, so this fat ski stuff is all new to me.
Most modern GS skis have too much metal in them to flex well in the bumps. 80s and 90s GS skis were bomber in the bumps.. 2010 and beyond are pretty unforgiving in the bumps.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Also am usually in no hurry, enjoying stopping longer, occasionally going out into forested areas for several minutes alone absorbing unmolested snow landscapes with an eye out for intimate photo subjects.
This is the part I wish I could translate to so many that are skiing to tick off as many runs as possible and "Flex" their alpha, Type A tendencies. You've described those "Nirvana" moments! :hail: Thank you! :beercheer:

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Those Blizzard Firebird WRC..which lenght? I have an older pair of WRC, 186cm R 21mt, and admittedly those are not skis that I am using for free skiing (anymore) since building a quiver. I mostly ski with those in the gates. Dayily driver is a 175cm R18mt Volekl RaceTiger, as said (ad nauseam, I would add) I suck at skiing bumps, but the RaceTigers are good enough to ski some easy bumps with.
170mm length, 115.5 width of tip, 97.5 width of tail, 16.5m turning radius, 68 underfoot. I wanted the 175 length, but 170 was all they had, I got them last year and I was kinda desperate for a pair of skis, it is the first pair of skis I have bought since the 80's. I use to have some 207mm Volkl Renntigers in the 80's, skied them everywhere. Back then I would ski on anything. I had a pair of Blizzard SL Racing ski, 205mm, I bought in the late 80's and skied them all through the 90's, with the orange langes. Everytime I road the lift with other ski bums, I would get an earfull "OMG, your equipment is ancient!", and it got worse every year. I did start demoing "shaped" skis in the late 90's they call them then, I really could not tell the difference.. And then I gave up snow sking, duck hunting became my new passion.

AtleB

Out on the slopes
Skier
What length of ski should I look for to ski bumps? I never really ski bumps, it really isn’t a “thing” here.
Most of my skis (or all) are the longest or the second longest from the line up. I am 182cm (6feet) tall and weigh around 83kg (183pounds). Aggressive expert skier.
Ski suggestions are welcome!

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Honestly, with the big differences in the ski designs of today and the tactical applications being pretty different.. hardpack carving and 3D snow skiing, bumps, etc.. the techniques and tactics used to best ski each will look very different. Look at a world cup mogul event, then an FIS GS event, then a World Freeride Tour event. It's all great skiing but not quite the same, different..

Last edited:

ELDoane

Gravity Fed, Beer Cooled
Skier
Exiled from VT, trying to ski off the Capitol Dome
What length of ski should I look for to ski bumps? I never really ski bumps, it really isn’t a “thing” here.
Most of my skis (or all) are the longest or the second longest from the line up. I am 182cm (6feet) tall and weigh around 83kg (183pounds). Aggressive expert skier.
K2 244 in 173cm. Find your inner Mosley and send the zipper line.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
To these eyes, it's not just for style and they're not unnecessary - he's adapting to differences in mogul spacing along the ski line. When the bumps to his left are too far apart, he throws in a quick 'dummy' turn to his right.

If he did anything other than a quick pivot during the 'dummy' bumps the skis would leave the ski line laterally, and would either be a PITA to retract or would carry him along for the ride - thunk thunk thunk SPLAT.
My strategy in moguls is just keep turning, just keep turning. What do we do, we turn , turn, turn. If that doesnt work; make even more shorter turns. More, more! Shorter, shorter! Turn turn turn!

I am helping my 9 year olds learn moguls, if you couldnt tell.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Has this thread loosened up something in the space-time continuum????
Today, as I was taking a break, a woman who had been skiing behind me skied up and said "I like your style!"
HUH?????

First of all, no one has EVER commented on my "style".
Second, as far as I know, no one has ever had any reason to compliment me on my style.
:philgoat:
What gives?

AtleB

Out on the slopes
Skier
K2 244 in 173cm. Find your inner Mosley and send the zipper line.
I Most likely won’t buy any mogul specific skis. But it would be fun to try some!!
Soft and short, what other traits are typical for bump skis?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Today, as I was taking a break, a woman who had been skiing behind me skied up and said "I like your style!"
HUH?????

Second, as far as I know, no one has ever had any reason to compliment me on my style.
What gives?
It's kinda like seeing ads on Facebook after jsut talking about a certain product. They are ALL listening. :geek:

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
HUH?????

What gives?
Golddigger? Honeypot trap? Exactly what intelligence do you have that would be useful to the North Koreans or Chinese/Russians?

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
For a long time I skied my 208 cm long SGs (68 mm wide, tuned 0.5 base 2 side, razor sharp tip to tail) everywhere, including bumps (even though back then I didn't have a clue how to ski bumps). Now I am developing a quiver. I am also branching out in terms of what skiing I enjoy. Henry David Thoreau's quote, we have become the tools of our tools comes to mind. Back on topic, it's not the width that makes them unsuited for bumps; it's the stiffness and the tune. My Volkl F1 Energy P50s (188 cm long, 68 mm wide tuned 1:2) are much more suited to bumps, also better suited than my 108 mm wide 179 cm long devastators.

As to length, generally the length of the skis that made the bumps is best, this length has changed over the years.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January