• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Doberman WC changes in geometry

Mcjenk321

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Has Nordica changed either the forward lean or the ramp on the Doberman WC boots in recent years? More specifically, does the Tecnica 9.3 (the Tecnica-stickered Doberman from a few years ago) have the same geometry as the current model of the Doberman and Firebird boots?

Thanks!

cem

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
as far as i am aware (not a boot model we hold in stock) nothing has changed for a while, there is a major change coming 23/24 i think (having been pushed back form 22/23 due to covid)

Someone

Skier
Well I'm making use of this topic to ask you what is the forward lean ° of those boots if you know it (I'm interested about the firebird r 140 with its 96mm last). Sorry for my sudden apparition.

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
My local shop stopped selling Nordica boots because they claim they are now Technica's with a different sticker. Not sure but that's what they told me.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
My local shop stopped selling Nordica boots because they claim they are now Technica's with a different sticker. Not sure but that's what they told me.

That was only true for the race boot part of the line (and even then it was Tecnica that was re-bading the boots Nordica developed), and even that is changing. The regular "consumer" part of the lines do not overlap. There may be some shared components, but I'm sure others here know exactly the details.

TS
M

Mcjenk321

Skier
Well I'm making use of this topic to ask you what is the forward lean ° of those boots if you know it (I'm interested about the firebird r 140 with its 96mm last). Sorry for my sudden apparition.
Ive seen that boot listed at both 12.5 and 13 degrees of forward lean. However, in actuality it doesn't appear to be quite as upright as the measurements would claim. For exampled the Raptor R2 and R3 from a few years ago were listed at 16 degrees, but they felt more upright than the firebird boot. And obviously the ramp angle will affect the perception of forward lean in the boot as well.

Someone

Skier
Thanks. Technica just replied to my email writing it is a 13 deg forward lean with a 3 deg ramp angle, so it will probably feel more "upright" than the head while having the same fl. Since i saw the head also has a 96mm last in the same size (the 98mm was for 27.5), i think i'll stick with it as i'm used to its ramp angle, tune etc (if i keep the "consumer" shoes choice)...

Flex, last and even forward lean norms change depending on the brand. Can't have a good opinion without testing it in shop (which needs to have a decent choice in every size of course, which is obviously almost never the case). It makes me want to build my shoes myself around my feet.

Last edited:

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Folks - just like there's no industry standard for boot flex designations, there is also no industry standard for how forward lean should be measured. Some manufacturers use the rear spine, while others use the front cuff. Anytime you see a low number like 12.5, you should assume that's a front cuff measurement. When you see something around 16, then that's probably a rear spine measurement.

Moral of the story, you cannot directly compare the numbers between manufacturers (sometimes not even between models from the same manufacturer). Even if two manufacturers both state that they use the rear spine, there's no telling how they're each performing the measurement, so you still can't directly compare them unless you specifically know exactly how they're both completing the measurements.

Sponsor