• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Does SkiTalk / Pugski do demo skis?

yizzung

Booting up
Skier
Hi there. I’ve been a longtime addict of the board and have used the advice here to steer me into my last 3-4 pairs of skis. One of the most puzzling aspects of being a skier (especially in Tahoe) is how hard it is to actually try/demo skis before purchase. Skiers in places like Aspen or Park City don’t know how good they have it: when there are dozens of ski shops near the base of the mountain, you can really try just about any ski and you can swap skis throughout the day, trying the next length up or down just to see what you like better.

In Tahoe, there’s typically a single ski shop at each mountain and you’re stuck with whatever they happen to have on hand. (Spoiler alert for my home mountain, Northstar: they have zero of the skis that I want to try...) In particular, I’m really curious about the new firmer snow DPS “pagoda piste” skis — seems like all of the DPS distributors in the area have disappeared this season. (I bought my Wailers from Granite Chief but they don’t sell any DPS anymore.) Even though DPS is a bit of a niche brand, Northstar also has neither the Rustler 9 nor the Nordica Enforcer 94. Both of these skis are not only smack dab in the middle of the mainstream, they are both on just about every top ten list out there so it’s baffling that they have neither ski available in any length... Maybe Squaw is better but I haven’t checked yet.

Of course I can try to venture away from the mountain and try a local in-town shop like Start Haus but, again, this means that I can try one ski in one length per day and would have to change to another ski or length on a different day (all while paying $$$ per day just to try the ski). So either go through that hassle or — do what I did last year — buy the ski over the internet and try it for the first time as its new owner. The drawback of this approach as many of you know is that [drumroll] you might find that you should have gone longer or shorter or that you just hate the ski.

Sorry for the long rant. Curious to know if anyone has cracked the code on how to avoid this frustration. And, in particular, if Pugski might be the answer? I think this site does a nice job of trying to be objective about skis and giving great advice but I’ve never been totally clear about whether or not we can try/buy skis through this forum. Thanks for helping to educate me. :)

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
if you're on epicpass,

Your best bet is heavenly where there is a gondola that goes to a not fully company owned village which you can swap skis reasonably at lunch from a few shops of your choice Still realistically this is still going to be 2skis/day demo and limited to the brands each shop carries.

Last edited:

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
if you're on epicpass,

Your best bet is heavenly where there is a gondola that goes to a not fully company owned village which you can swap skis reasonably at lunch from shop of your choice Still realistically this is still going to be 2skis/day demo and limited to the brands each shop carries.

If you go this route, let me suggest you do it on a weekday. The lines at the gondola get long because of COVID.

TS
yizzung

yizzung

Booting up
Skier
if you're on epicpass,

Your best bet is heavenly where there is a gondola that goes to a not fully company owned village which you can swap skis reasonably at lunch from a few shops of your choice Still realistically this is still going to be 2skis/day demo and limited to the brands each shop carries.
Yep. That’s a possibility but my cabin is in Truckee. Lot of hassle to drive all the way around the lake but could be doable on a weekday, IF I could find one shop that has at least 2-3 skis that I want to try... Anybody want to start an internet / mail order demo ski company? I’ll sign up!

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
squawalpine's demo list is pretty good; and posted on their website and tahoe dave has their list published too.

To be fair though, usually the off-mtn shop demo policy is 2-3 days of demo "fees" towards purchase , so you can try out the 2-3skis. Whereas on mtn may only be 1 day of fees towards purchase to push you to buy now.
So if you truly are going to purchase, and not a glorified rental, you aren't going to lose $ to try 3 skis, just time.

Fleece82

Booting up
Skier
Try demoing on the East! Nearly impossible. My home mountain doesn't carries 3 name brands but none of their higher end skis! And you are lucky to find anything over a 170! So frustrating! I would gladly pay shipping or yearly fee to find a place to ship me demos to try. Sounds like a good business opportunity!

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm surprised. One would think Tahoe, with all those ski areas nearby, would be better as far as demoes.

By contrast, here in Colorado Front Range, the best shops/demo places have top demo skis at multiple lengths, only frontside or race skis mostly unavailable. And routinely I'll demo a half dozen or more near new skis a day from right at the lifts, before buying. Depending on the ski/demo shop, some apply a few days rental to payment for a ski you buy also, though not the demo place I prefer because of its selection and unlimited skis allowed per day. (In my experience, this is more than made up for by the discounts some ski shops are willing to offer, and discounts at the best places online also.)

TS
yizzung

yizzung

Booting up
Skier
I'm surprised. One would think Tahoe, with all those ski areas nearby, would be better as far as demoes.

By contrast, here in Colorado Front Range, the best shops/demo places have top demo skis at multiple lengths, only frontside or race skis mostly unavailable. And routinely I'll demo a half dozen or more near new skis a day from right at the lifts, before buying. Depending on the ski/demo shop, some apply a few days rental to payment for a ski you buy also, though not the demo place I prefer because of its selection and unlimited skis allowed per day. (In my experience, this is more than made up for by the discounts some ski shops are willing to offer, and discounts at the best places online also.)
Get out of here with this crap! Haha. Just kidding. I know you have it good. We do not.

TS
yizzung

yizzung

Booting up
Skier
Try demoing on the East! Nearly impossible. My home mountain doesn't carries 3 name brands but none of their higher end skis! And you are lucky to find anything over a 170! So frustrating! I would gladly pay shipping or yearly fee to find a place to ship me demos to try. Sounds like a good business opportunity!
This makes me feel slightly better... thanks! :)

TS
yizzung

yizzung

Booting up
Skier
squawalpine's demo list is pretty good; and posted on their website and tahoe dave has their list published too.

To be fair though, usually the off-mtn shop demo policy is 2-3 days of demo "fees" towards purchase , so you can try out the 2-3skis. Whereas on mtn may only be 1 day of fees towards purchase to push you to buy now.
So if you truly are going to purchase, and not a glorified rental, you aren't going to lose $ to try 3 skis, just time.
FWIW, I did contact every shop on the north side and, while not technically “on the mountain” I found the best demo selection to be at Mountain Mike’s, which is across the main parking lot at Squaw. They were the only shop that had both the Enforcer 94 and the Rustler 9 (all sizes).

Maybe everyone else is sold out because it’s later in the season? But I was surprised that those seemingly common west coast skis were nowhere to be found elsewhere... (I thought I might also hop on the new DPS pagoda piste but almost nobody carries DPS up here anymore.)

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Yep. That’s a possibility but my cabin is in Truckee. Lot of hassle to drive all the way around the lake but could be doable on a weekday, IF I could find one shop that has at least 2-3 skis that I want to try... Anybody want to start an internet / mail order demo ski company? I’ll sign up!

Hmm, now let me see. Lets consider shipping @$50/pair each way, and even for a one day of use , that pair is going to be out of th rotation for a minimum 5 days so I could probably build a business model for it with a rental fee in the range of $250-$300/pair ..........maybe there's a reason it is not a common option...????..

oldfashoned

Out on the slopes
Skier

Sound like a darn good reason to book a Colorado ski trip

TS
yizzung

yizzung

Booting up
Skier
Hmm, now let me see. Lets consider shipping @$50/pair each way, and even for a one day of use , that pair is going to be out of th rotation for a minimum 5 days so I could probably build a business model for it with a rental fee in the range of $250-$300/pair ..........maybe there's a reason it is not a common option...????..
Well Ski Butler and Black Tie have almost figured out a way to do it without charging $300 per rental but unfortunately they don’t have precisely what I’m looking for. I called.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I could easily be convinced fly to Colorado just to demo skis... :)
All for a pair of skis? You are willing to spend $2K-ish (airfare, lodging, TIME (what is your time worth)) for a pair of $600 skis? Sorry, the math does not make sense. :doh:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Well Ski Butler and Black Tie have almost figured out a way to do it without charging $300 per rental but unfortunately they don’t have precisely what I’m looking for. I called.
Those aren't really the same at all, as they don't ship to individuals - they work from their local stock just like a shop and just bring the skis to you at your vacation spot (as far as I understand it).

I'd say try to seek out demo days when a lot of brands and skis are all available in one place.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
a destination trip with a remembrance (pair of skis) is like an old Mastercard commercial.

my spouse still remembers a trip to Colorado where she came back with Volants, her first "real" skis.

I'll claim it was certainly worth the total cost let alone ski cost. ;)

Sponsor

Staff online