• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Does Victorinox have a Swiss knife with ski binding tools?

James

Out There
Instructor
Skiing is only the 4th most popular recreational activity in Switzerland, around 35% of the Swiss population lists skiing as a hobby and on average they ski 8 times a year. The most popular recreational activities in Switzerland are hiking, road biking and swimming.

But, but, what about the king?
1D4A7923-9BB5-48F8-8540-762A7E76E717.jpeg

From a Swiss travel brochure I got in the mail. Maybe due to Rega membership?

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Not showing up on Dakine web site - got a link?

In addition to moving my bindings around on a whim, I've got a boot buckle rivet that loosens up regularly and the Torx head in my tool does the trick, so I would never step in to my bindings without it.

The work stations at most of the resorts I visit seem to have tools that are beat up to the point of being unusable, or missing altogethe

Winks

AKA "Gary".
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
That's the only scenario where I see a need. Got a portable tuning kit for travel, a few tools in the boot bag,.. . and at the resort there's usually some pozis and slots chained to a bench somewhere.. If not ask someone at the rental shop nicely and they'll help you out..

I agree with you, I never really had the need to pull it out for my alpine gear and if I do need something some shop or tuning bench is all I need. Occasionally if I have demo skis with me I can adjust them for friends but this is a rare case and something most skiers won’t ever have to deal with.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
That's the only scenario where I see a need. Got a portable tuning kit for travel, a few tools in the boot bag,.. . and at the resort there's usually some pozis and slots chained to a bench somewhere.. If not ask someone at the rental shop nicely and they'll help you out..
The binding stations are getting fewer and far between. It has been a while since I have seen one at a ski area.

Swiss Toni

Out on the slopes
Skier
Cheap Chinese T Type Ratchet Screwdriver https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/New-Manual-T-type-ratchet-screwdriver_62189402661.html = Dakine = BD = TOKO.

But, but, what about the king?

From a Swiss travel brochure I got in the mail. Maybe due to Rega membership?

Tennis is Switzerlands 5th most popular sport. Roger Federer was given the title “King Roger” by the Blick, Switzerland’s only tabloid newspaper after he his 20th Grand Slam title at the Australian Open in 2018.

Hope you are not relying on Rega to cover the cost of a rescue, you are a patron and not a member your patronage contributions are deemed to be donations. “In grateful acknowledgement of patrons' support, Rega can, at its own discretion and within the bounds of its resources, waive or reduce the costs of any emergency services that it has provided or organised on their behalf, in the event that insurance companies or any other third party are not liable to pay and thus not required to reimburse the costs of the rescue operation, whether wholly or in part.” You also need to have travel insurance, that covers skiing, if your insurance company won't cover all of the cost of a rescue Rega may cover the shortfall.

James

Out There
Instructor
Hope you are not relying on Rega to cover the cost of a rescue, you are a patron and not a member your patronage contributions are deemed to be donations. “In grateful acknowledgement of patrons' support, Rega can, at its own discretion and within the bounds of its resources, waive or reduce the costs of any emergency services that it has provided or organised on their behalf, in the event that insurance companies or any other third party are not liable to pay and thus not required to reimburse the costs of the rescue operation, whether wholly or in part.” You also need to have travel insurance, that covers skiing, if your insurance company won't cover all of the cost of a rescue Rega may cover the shortfall.
No, I don’t rely on it. My first time I discovered they don’t even cover the Valais, and that’s where I was.

How about their “repatriation” service for Swiss citizens, is that real?

I’m still unclear once off piste what the insurance on the ticket covers. I kind of assume nothing.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I dislike having lumpy things in my pocket. I have posted my EDC tools for resort skiing in another thread previously. Made up the kit scrounging through my tools.

A Moonflex 200 grit diamond stone.
A small 1/4" drive bit ratchet.
Several 100 mm long drive bits. Usually a #3 pozi & a slotted. Will add couple torx bits if I am messing with boots.
The kit as shown weights in at 4 oz.
1654628239756.png

One of the ways to set up the ratchet.
1654628266382.png

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have said this about carrying sharpener equipment when skiing. Is that something you want to fall on when doing a yard sale?
Don't fall ;)
:crash:

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
You can buy long one short bits on Amazon
Yea but as i prev mentioned, unless you are buying in bulk and need like 50 bits, the min cost to obtain 1 single bit is like half the entire tool (which is also a relatively inexpensive item).

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Two from Victorinox. You’ll have to get the right bits.
3397C233-6433-48D3-BA71-0E8656560CBD.jpeg

64EEA8CE-E33F-453F-AB44-AA2ABBDA4B96.jpeg

This thing looks pretty slick if it could hold say 3-4 longish bits and was strong enough.

Last edited:

Uncle-A

Skier
Two from Victorinox. You’ll have to get the right bits.
View attachment 170862

View attachment 170863

This thing looks pretty slick if it could hold say 3-4 longish bits and was strong enough.
Not a lot of bindings will use the bits in that holder. You might be able to use the #3 philips bit but the rest are probably useless for bindings.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hence ..... "You'll have to get the right bits".
Which, fortunately, are the easiest part of the equation.

Uncle-A

Skier
Hence ..... "You'll have to get the right bits".
Which, fortunately, are the easiest part of the equation.
Actually the hardest thing for me was finding a PZ3 in a long enough bit to work on bindings. Because the short bit in a longer holder may not fit in the recessed holes in the toe of many bindings. I put up a photo of my PZ3 bits and binding tools in a different thread. I will try and find the photo.

James

Out There
Instructor
I dislike having lumpy things in my pocket. I have posted my EDC tools for resort skiing in another thread previously. Made up the kit scrounging through my tools.

A Moonflex 200 grit diamond stone.
A small 1/4" drive bit ratchet.
Several 100 mm long drive bits. Usually a #3 pozi & a slotted. Will add couple torx bits if I am messing with boots.
The kit as shown weights in at 4 oz.
View attachment 170801

One of the ways to set up the ratchet.
View attachment 170802
What’s the brand of the ratchet, or if nameless, from where?

Uncle-A

Skier
POZI Plus.jpg

The top two are 6 inch PZ3 the third from the top is a PZ3 tip with a 6 inch extension and the bottom is a PZ3 tip with a 2 inch extension. The wide part of the extension is what I mentioned in my above post about being too wide to fit in some toe holes. The 6 inch PZ3 bits are from Bosch, I was lucky enough to be in Lowes when the Bosch rep was in the store, I complained to him that PZ3 bits were difficult to find and he set me up with an order that shipped to the store.

Sponsor

Staff online