• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dog Breed Identification - Dog Scanner App

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
With all of the recent threads on SkiTalk dogs (especially rescue mutts), I thought I'd share this app I was recently told about, Dog Scanner. It scans your dog with your phone camera or uses existing photos to determine the breed(s). I was told it produced a similar accuracy as the DNA tests, so I decided to give it a go (it is free with ads). I did about 10 different scans/photo assessments, they all came out pretty similar and very similar to what we had guessed Rendl is a mix of. I've attached a few of them as thumbnails.

Rendl is looking like mostly Australian Cattle Dog, with a little terrier mixed in (possible Pit or Fox). He did get Dalmatian a couple times, but I'm fairly certain that was because of his markings and doesn't actually portray his breed.

Anyone else try this app? How accurate have you found it?

IMG_4341.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4338.JPG
    IMG_4338.JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4339.JPG
    IMG_4339.JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4340.JPG
    IMG_4340.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4342.JPG
    IMG_4342.JPG
    120.9 KB · Views: 27

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Thanks for sharing.

It seems to work well in identifying our pure bred Field Spaniel. I'm not sure it's really working on our other dog - the app is saying he's a mix of two dogs that are both 50% or smaller in size than him. He's 28 lbs and the two dogs it picks are max of 18lbs and max of 14 lbs. He's also taller than both. I don't know enough about dog breeding to understand how two toy size dogs could produce a ~30lb animal bigger than either parent.

Edit: nevermind, it really depends on the picture of the Field Spaniel. Had some come back as a mix with Field as low as 18%. Others in the mix: Dachshund (6% as highest) Sussex Spaniel (71% as highest).

Last edited:
TS
Lauren

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm not sure it's really working on our other dog - the app is saying he's a mix of two dogs that are both 50% or smaller in size than him. He's 28 lbs and the two dogs it picks are max of 18lbs and max of 14 lbs. He's also taller than both. I don't know enough about dog breeding to understand how two toy size dogs could produce a ~30lb animal bigger than either parent.

This seems to be one of the downsides of the app, there doesn't seem to be a way for it to determine the size of the dog. One of the 10 results I did came back with Rat Terrier, ACD, French Bulldog and Chihuahua....Rendl is almost 50 lbs. Ha! I chalked that one up to the angle of the photo I submitted. Good to hear there's some accuracy on the pure bred though.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
This seems to be one of the downsides of the app, there doesn't seem to be a way for it to determine the size of the dog. One of the 10 results I did came back with Rat Terrier, ACD, French Bulldog and Chihuahua....Rendl is almost 50 lbs. Ha! I chalked that one up to the angle of the photo I submitted. Good to hear there's some accuracy on the pure bred though.

Just edited my post -- I tried some pictures of the pure bred laying down and it came up with some weird results.

TS
Lauren

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Just edited my post -- I tried some pictures of the pure bred laying down and it came up with some weird results.

I also found that using the app to scan your dog with the camera/video seemed to be better than using photos. There’s a “tips” section in the drop down menu that gives you tips to get the most accurate results.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
We can, of course, take the statements as true and flip them. The syllogism then becomes:

. I was told it produced a similar accuracy as the DNA tests, so I decided

+

I'm shocked that this fart app isn't working 100%! :ogbiggrin:

+

Entertaining more than anything else.

WHY, oh WHY is there no entertainment-purposes-only origin story facial features app for people? $$$$$$$$$

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I didn't really think about a dog scanner app because I have a @bbinder for that. :ogbiggrin:

But...I'll bite just for fun, even though its pretty clear that Gypsy is n Australian Stumpy Tail Cattle Dog.
We thought she was docked when we got her but found out via the trainer we went to that she's an actual bread that is born with a stumpy tail.
Screen Shot 2021-05-16 at 7.47.17 AM.png

The scanner app showed three different results based on a different selection of pictures I submitted.
I made sure to include pictures of her face, her full body and her tail.

24F4DEF0-FB06-4F78-9E50-3188B8BFEBFF.JPG

0334DCFB-AB87-4805-BCE6-05E830C450B1.JPG
77206070-048C-432A-81C1-64C6B8454BA5.JPG

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
On a more serious note, I find these type of AI and pseudo-AI intriguing and frightening at the same time. In 10 or 20 years time, I wonder how we will react at very smart machines eating our lunch..

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I didn't really think about a dog scanner app because I have a @bbinder for that. :ogbiggrin:

But...I'll bite just for fun, even though its pretty clear that Gypsy is n Australian Stumpy Tail Cattle Dog.
We thought she was docked when we got her but found out via the trainer we went to that she's an actual bread that is born with a stumpy tail.
View attachment 133868

The scanner app showed three different results based on a different selection of pictures I submitted.
I made sure to include pictures of her face, her full body and her tail.

View attachment 133869

View attachment 133870 View attachment 133877
I learned a lot about Stumpy breeds over the past couple months.
Today I stumbled upon this video. Kind of interesting to see the history of this breed.

Sponsor

Staff online