• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dog nutrition: what do you feed your pooch?

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Not really sure what your point is @CalG . When I put the oil on their food, the dogs get excited and eat it faster. If that's not due to the taste being pleasing to them, I don't know what to call it.

I also agree that some dogs will eat cat poo. Not owning a cat at the moment, I can't offer my opinion on whether one that does eat cat poo does it because of the taste or not.

My dogs also eat grass sometimes. But they don't seem to be enjoying themselves when they eat it. It's more of a self-medication instinct when they have upset stomach.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
My dogs carry frozen dog poop around in the winter, eat rabbit poop, deer poop, I'm sure they'd eat bear poop if I let them. They also graze on long grass all the time. One has a yen for mushrooms, and has been to the emergency vet for that.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Oh, geez. Now I remember that when I had my cat Oscar, the various dogs who shared the house with her DID go after her poop. Thanks for that .. oh, the look of a dog with kitty litter stuck to his chin ...

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We feed our cats regular cat food and they supplement that with a healthy amount of birds, chipmunks, and occasional squirrel.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Not really sure what your point is @CalG . When I put the oil on their food, the dogs get excited and eat it faster. If that's not due to the taste being pleasing to them, I don't know what to call it.

I also agree that some dogs will eat cat poo. Not owning a cat at the moment, I can't offer my opinion on whether one that does eat cat poo does it because of the taste or not.

My dogs also eat grass sometimes. But they don't seem to be enjoying themselves when they eat it. It's more of a self-medication instinct when they have upset stomach.

Pavlovian association.

A couple of dogs I have had the pleasure of working with, get all excited, and lick their chops just after hearing a clicker. A Brittney I had got really excited whenever the phrase "load up" was spoken. I mean Really excited. Bird Brain! ;-)

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We or should I say she feeds our dogs Orijen and supplements with boiled boneless chicken thighs. Wish she just fed them all chicken, it’s cheaper by the pound by far then the Orijen. Got to say all the dogs I’ve had over the years loved this stuff. About impossible to get them to switch once they’ve had it.
Also got to say people always say they are very healthy looking dogs with beautiful coats. Maybe I should start the same diet.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
We or should I say she feeds our dogs Orijen and supplements with boiled boneless chicken thighs. Wish she just fed them all chicken, it’s cheaper by the pound by far then the Orijen. Got to say all the dogs I’ve had over the years loved this stuff. About impossible to get them to switch once they’ve had it.
Also got to say people always say they are very healthy looking dogs with beautiful coats. Maybe I should start the same diet.

My dogs ate Orijen pretty happily. I'm trying Purina Pro Plan, and to my surprise, they seem to like it even better. I imagine Purina spends plenty on palatability research.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Thanks for that link.
I wish it were something a little more reputable than medium.com , but .. well, frankly, I'm too lazy right now to follow it up

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We are back at square one with a new dog.
She is 8 years old, a Shepard/Husky mix and (according to the shelter) doesn't have any dietary issues.
We were told that they fed her about 1.5 cups basic dog food with some wet food mixed once a day.

We've had her in our home for 24 hours +/- and she hasn't really had a good bowel movement.
We fed her last night when we made our own supper but she only ate a tiny bit, so we added some broth this morning in the hopes she'd eat the rest of it, but nope.

Right now we're feeding her the rest of the food we had for Ziggy, but there isn't much of it and we'll need to buy some soon.

I'm (we're) looking for input.

*I'm wondering if the lack of eating much and bowel movement is based on her having a big change in her life but I could be wrong.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hill's W/D via chewy.com for our pancreatic Nelson.
We had Royal Canin low fat, high fiber dog food which cost something like 90.00 for a 28 lb(?) bag.
Not sure on the exact size of the bag.
Needless to say, it was pricy but Ziggy was worth it.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Oh, hey, on a lighter note - have you guys seen this? There are 10 parts. They just get funnier as you go along.

This did my heart good. Fun!

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
We are back at square one with a new dog.
She is 8 years old, a Shepard/Husky mix and (according to the shelter) doesn't have any dietary issues.
We were told that they fed her about 1.5 cups basic dog food with some wet food mixed once a day.

We've had her in our home for 24 hours +/- and she hasn't really had a good bowel movement.
We fed her last night when we made our own supper but she only ate a tiny bit, so we added some broth this morning in the hopes she'd eat the rest of it, but nope.

Right now we're feeding her the rest of the food we had for Ziggy, but there isn't much of it and we'll need to buy some soon.

I'm (we're) looking for input.

*I'm wondering if the lack of eating much and bowel movement is based on her having a big change in her life but I could be wrong.

Buy her quality feed from Purina or Eukanuba/Iams. She can eat all-age standard feed. At her age senior food is an option as well. Don’t fall for the grain-free, all-natural sham. She’ll eat when she’s hungry. Don’t worry if she doesn’t eat a full serving, or at all, for a few days. I’ve had dogs in that didn’t eat for a week.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Buy her quality feed from Purina or Eukanuba/Iams. She can eat all-age standard feed. At her age senior food is an option as well. Don’t fall for the grain-free, all-natural sham. She’ll eat when she’s hungry. Don’t worry if she doesn’t eat a full serving, or at all, for a few days. I’ve had dogs in that didn’t eat for a week.
In other words, when she's hungry, she'll eat.
:cattledog:

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
At the suggestion of my vet, I mix in Royal Canin Dental half and half with my dog's regular kibble. She also loves TopChews dried chicken fillets from Costco and Zukes soft training kibble in any flavour.

My dog Tia is a fussy eater and it usually takes putting some of the above treats in her bowl to get her to eat the kibble and then she always leaves some uneaten so she will have some food for later.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online