• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dog nutrition: what do you feed your pooch?

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
In other words, when she's hungry, she'll eat.
:cattledog:
RIGHT!

DOGS, Like people, don't do well with uncertainty.
Unlike people, dogs THRIVE on running empty. (Actually, fasting is VERY GOOD for people also)

Don't worry, it takes A LOOOONG time to starve a dog, like WEEKS and WEEKS. They are amaziningly thrifty.

PLUS! A dog will NEVER COMPLAIN of being hungry, and alway appreciate when they are fed when it's time.

Lots of exercise will get the digestion running smoothly.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
At the suggestion of my vet, I mix in Royal Canin Dental half and half with my dog's regular kibble. She also loves TopChews dried chicken fillets from Costco and Zukes soft training kibble in any flavour.

My dog Tia is a fussy eater and it usually takes putting some of the above treats in her bowl to get her to eat the kibble and then she always leaves some uneaten so she will have some food for later.
Tia is a very different breed than Gypsy.
Glad you found the right food for her.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
We are back at square one with a new dog.
She is 8 years old, a Shepard/Husky mix and (according to the shelter) doesn't have any dietary issues.
We were told that they fed her about 1.5 cups basic dog food with some wet food mixed once a day.

We've had her in our home for 24 hours +/- and she hasn't really had a good bowel movement.
We fed her last night when we made our own supper but she only ate a tiny bit, so we added some broth this morning in the hopes she'd eat the rest of it, but nope.

Right now we're feeding her the rest of the food we had for Ziggy, but there isn't much of it and we'll need to buy some soon.

I'm (we're) looking for input.

*I'm wondering if the lack of eating much and bowel movement is based on her having a big change in her life but I could be wrong.

When we got Cooper from the shelter, he had poor appetite and liquid stool. I fed him chicken breast, rice, and some mixed veggies ... Probably some oil for fat? Anyway, simple diet for a few weeks. He got his appetite back and didn't lose it till the very end. I stopped feeding him whole foods when I realized I was so tired after cooking for him that I was eating a bowl of cereal for dinner. The whole food wasn't nutritionally balanced for a dog, I'm sure, but it did help settle his stomach. (When he was sick, I was feeding him french fries, cereal, noodles ...)

TS
pete

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Tricia , by "good bowel movement" you simply mean he's not pooping much or it's soft or runny? Eating regular amount? Too, ideally the Shelter gave you a small supply of food he was eating, sometimes switching causes a changes, typically loose so maybe you're actually lucky ogsmile as mykids Husky would get the opposite once in while ... which is less fun.

I figure if not pooping ... our Basenji Bill accompanied us to a KC Basenji conference 2 yrs ago, we were gone three days and he didn't poop once, he ate, just didn't poop. Ate a bit less but not greatly less.

He they type that likes an area that is "his".

However I'll say he's been my favorite pooch for walks ... in three+ years I have only had to pick up once for him.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Tricia , by "good bowel movement" you simply mean he's not pooping much or it's soft or runny? Eating regular amount? Too, ideally the Shelter gave you a small supply of food he was eating, sometimes switching causes a changes, typically loose so maybe you're actually lucky ogsmile as mykids Husky would get the opposite once in while ... which is less fun.
She has only pooped a tiny bit twice, and it was runny.
The shelter didn't send us home with any food. They told us she didn't have any dietary restrictions. I specifically asked if it was okay to feed her Ziggy's old food, which is prescription Royal Canin Low Fat High Fiber gastrointestinal.
We'll probably go get her food today, and likely get what Andy feeds his dogs so they can eat here too.

RIGHT!

DOGS, Like people, don't do well with uncertainty.

The good news is we had @Andy Mink and wife along with their two dogs last night.
She got super snarly and nipped at Pepper, got very territorial. According to the shelter worker, she gets along with all the other dogs. So we were like :huh:

We played with the dogs together and calmed her down and showed her that it was okay to have other dogs around. Within 15 minutes or so, they were playing together.
Pepper was still shying away from Gypsy but I don't blame her. :(

After the Minks left, Gypsy was even more settled in than before and finally ate this morning. Not a lot, but she did eat.
It makes me wonder if she needed to go through the process of seeing other dogs come and go and know that this is her home.
BTW, they said she's 8, but she sure is acting like a puppy.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Buy her quality feed from Purina or Eukanuba/Iams. She can eat all-age standard feed. At her age senior food is an option as well. Don’t fall for the grain-free, all-natural sham. She’ll eat when she’s hungry. Don’t worry if she doesn’t eat a full serving, or at all, for a few days. I’ve had dogs in that didn’t eat for a week.
This. There are additional brands that are equal to Purina and Iams as well.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
She got super snarly and nipped at Pepper, got very territorial. According to the shelter worker, she gets along with all the other dogs. So we were like :huh:

Dogs can get overstimulated and overwhelmed, just like little kids. Both Cooper and Loki have some sort of time limit at dog parks, after which they get snarly. Or one dog wants to play more than another dog, and after a while the less rambunctious (read: older) dog gets tired of it. I bet that "gets along with other dogs" means that she can sniff butts without it being an issue, but I doubt they let them play freely for very long if at all.

Your new pup is already dealing with a lot of change right now, and as we're all hyper aware right now, uncertainty and change are disconcerting. She can't talk through her emotions or take a moment to step back and understand why she's feeling overwhelmed. And for that matter, every human she's around is probably going through a lot of stuff, even if they're trying to push it down, and dogs pick up on this stuff - even more so if she's looking for cues as to what sort of situation she's in. So it's maybe not surprising that she has a low threshold for play right now.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It can take a few weeks for a dog (especially a rescue) to settle into a home and a new routine. Often there is a honeymoon period where a new dog is very well behaved while they “scope out the scene”. Often their full personality does not emerge for 3-5 weeks. Consistency and a steady routine helps smooth out the bumps. Regular socialization with other people and animals is a good idea. Gypsy’s appetite will be fine and you will eventually see a rhythm to it. Her bowels should stabilize within a few days - if not, then she may need a minor veterinary intervention. See if the shelter has a vet that can help you out on their dime.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
You know, just because a dog has "no dietary restriction" doesn't mean you shouldn't feather over from old food to new food over a few meals. Changes in their food inevitably lead to processing issues. Changes in routine, same. A rescue dog especially needs a routine. Depending on their history, it could be months until trust occurs. We've done so many at this point, it's normal to us. Our newest has now been here two years and we still learn things about him. He had 4 owners before us, so there's a lot of "baggage". It's been a journey, but he's turning into one of the sweetest dogs we've ever had.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Buy her quality feed from Purina or Eukanuba/Iams.

This. There are additional brands that are equal to Purina and Iams as well.
Andy Mink feeds his dogs Kirkland brand dog food.
Since his dogs have been consistent with the same food, I was thinking of getting the same for Gypsy so we'd have it on hand when his dogs are here too.
As we all know Kirkland brands are usually some main stream brand that is branded for Costco.
Does anyone have any idea if Kirkland dog foods are produced by Purina or Eukanuba/Iams?
I took a minute to look up the nutritional information for Adult Lamb Eukanuba and compare to Adult Lamb from Kirkland and this is what I found. (I haven't taken the time to look up similar data on Purina or Iams)
The nutritional data is very similar, although not identical
Screen Shot 2020-03-22 at 8.46.41 AM.png

Ingredients are also similar but not identical
Ingredients for Kirkland:
Lamb, lamb meal, whole grain brown rice, ground white rice, rice bran, egg product, cracked pearled barley, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), dried beet pulp, potatoes, fish meal, flaxseed, natural flavor, millet, brewers dried yeast, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, carrots, peas, dried kelp, apples, cranberries, rosemary extract, parsley flake, dried chicory root, glucosamine hydrochloride, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Bifidobacterium animalis fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus reuteri fermentation product, taurine, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, chondroitin sulfate, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.
Ingredients for Eukanuba:
Lamb, brewers rice, chicken by-product meal, corn, wheat, lamb meal, chicken fat, ground grain sorghum, natural flavors, dried plain beet pulp, egg product, potassium chloride, sodium hexametaphosphate, fructooligosaccharides, salt, fish oil, choline chloride, vitamins [DL-alpha tocopherol acetate (source of vitamin E), biotin, D-calcium pantothenate, vitamin A acetate, niacin supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, folic acid], trace minerals [zinc oxide, ferrous sulfate, copper sulfate, sodium selenite, calcium iodate], glucosamine hydrochloride, magnesium oxide, rosemary extract, preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Her bowels should stabilize within a few days - if not, then she may need a minor veterinary intervention. See if the shelter has a vet that can help you out on their dime.

Well, I'm not sure I'd defer to the vet used by this particular shelter. Story below...
If she needs veterinary intervention I'll take her to the vet that took care of Ziggy, (and you)

When we adopted her, the shelter worker told us that her belly was itchy because she was shaved to be spayed. The vet opened her up to spay her and realized that she had already been spayed.
First of all, I'm disappointed that the previous owner didn't tell them that she'd been spayed, sparing her the additional surgery.
Second, I'm surprised that the vet didn't question a previous scar before opening her up.
That's where I would ask you (@bbinder) if you have a shaved dog, and see a scar, wouldn't you take an X-ray or something to see if she has the anatomy before making a new incision? I really have no idea, but that seems reasonable.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
You know, just because a dog has "no dietary restriction" doesn't mean you shouldn't feather over from old food to new food over a few meals.
While I understand that, we were not offered much besides an envelope with the adoption papers, and a slip on leash. She didn't even have a collar when we adopted her. No toys either.

I'll be back in a bit. she's telling us that 9:00 AM is time for her walk.
That's the new routine
:cattledog:

Last edited:

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
When we brought Sadie home from the Utah Humane Society it took her a 3-4 days to adjust and she didn’t eat much.
I tried a couple different brands which didn’t make a difference and once she started to eat settled on Kirkland Adult.

LuliTheYounger

I'm just here to bother my mom
Skier
We've had Jasper for a month as of today and I think he's only really started eating a normal amount on a normal schedule in the past week or so. We got a bag of Hills Science Diet from the shelter and gave him the same amount he was getting there. The first week he probably ate about half of his supposed daily amount, and even then I had to dump weird peanut-butter-and-chicken-broth gravy on it most nights. The next couple of weeks he started eating but was super goofy about the schedule, like eating breakfast at 4pm and then dinner at 4:45.

It was kind of weird because he didn't really act stressed otherwise, but he's just not a food motivated dog for the most part, and I think moving in really got to him. Our vet was really helpful, if you have a way to get in touch with yours. She was super reassuring that he was at a good weight for the way he's built, and she and the vet tech gave us some solid ideas to try like going for a run before he eats, other brands to try, etc.

TS
pete

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd not fret greatly. Maybe canned meaty food may coax her ... but then she should know best and if not acting ill, nothing I'd be greatly concerned about.

I personally like to rotate foods blending between changes. While I figure it really shouldn't matter greatly, I like the idea that what one manufacturer may miss or lose out in processing may be covered by another.

My pooches enjoy a regular dose of human food by products ... cracks me up that my female basenji eats salad ... actually most anything including banana, strawberries .. but oddly neither care for Blueberries ..

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
FWIW, I'm not stressing, but the nutrition thing is important to me because of the health issues we had with Ziggy after a life of eating basic dog food and a lot of people food. It is our intent to not let Gypsy eat people food.

Just got back from a walk. Very small amounts of poop and quite runny.

I remember once when Ziggy got really sick, like we thought he was dying kind of sick, after he got better, I texted @bbinder - YAY FIRM POOP!!

The things that make us happy can be simple and funny.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
FWIW, I'm not stressing, but the nutrition thing is important to me because of the health issues we had with Ziggy after a life of eating basic dog food and a lot of people food. It is our intent to not let Gypsy eat people food.

Just got back from a walk. Very small amounts of poop and quite runny.

I remember once when Ziggy got really sick, like we thought he was dying kind of sick, after he got better, I texted @bbinder - YAY FIRM POOP!!

The things that make us happy can be simple and funny.

Cooper and Loki never got much people food, but we trained them early on not to beg in an obnoxious way, so they were quietly sitting in the kitchen, but far enough away not to be underfoot. When we prep food, they always get/got a few slices of colorful bell peppers or many other vegetable treats. Cooper loved mango and banana. He would do anything for a banana, and I swear he could hear one opening from anywhere in the house. They would also get some chicken breast. But nothing you'd think of as people food until I tried to get Cooper's appetite back

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, I'm not sure I'd defer to the vet used by this particular shelter. Story below...
If she needs veterinary intervention I'll take her to the vet that took care of Ziggy, (and you)

When we adopted her, the shelter worker told us that her belly was itchy because she was shaved to be spayed. The vet opened her up to spay her and realized that she had already been spayed.
First of all, I'm disappointed that the previous owner didn't tell them that she'd been spayed, sparing her the additional surgery.
Second, I'm surprised that the vet didn't question a previous scar before opening her up.
That's where I would ask you (@bbinder) if you have a shaved dog, and see a scar, wouldn't you take an X-ray or something to see if she has the anatomy before making a new incision? I really have no idea, but that seems reasonable.
There are hormone assays/tests that will suggest whether a dog has been spayed or not. When I am presented with a new female dog/cat from unknown circumstance I will shave an area to see if there is an abdominal surgical scar that would be compatible with a spay surgery. I can then state that she “probably” had a spay surgery but I cannot guarantee it. Then I give the caretaker the option of tests or wait and see if she goes into heat. I don’t know how shelters manage this. It is possible that, in an effort to make sure that there are no future issues, they prefer to explore surgically to remove any doubt... an extreme approach, but foolproof. I would find out if she ever had a normal bowel movement. If she has, then the runny poop may be some run of the mill enterocolitis. If she hasn’t, I start to wonder about some kind of chronic issue...

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I would find out if she ever had a normal bowel movement. If she has, then the runny poop may be some run of the mill enterocolitis. If she hasn’t, I start to wonder about some kind of chronic issue...
I will call tomorrow morning.

Sponsor