• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dog nutrition: what do you feed your pooch?

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
All of our dogs have had either IAMS or Purina, which ever was on sale. For most weight was self controlled a one needed Adult control.

To date (not to jinx it) all our dogs lived to be 14-16.

Human food was added as a treat over top of the food on occasions.

So whats the best solution, whatever makes you feel you are doing the right thing as a pet owner as for most they are important parts of the family.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Gypsy ate, what I would consider, a normal amount of food last night and again this morning. When she went outside to poke around the back yard she had, what I would consider, a normal bowel movement. @bbinder hope you'll find this comforting and a bit humorous... YAY! Firm poop!

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
our stray came with bad ears and very itchy when we fed her any corn ladden dog food.
I found Pure Harmony - no chemicals, no corn, Chicken is 1st ingredient

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Gypsy ate, what I would consider, a normal amount of food last night and again this morning. When she went outside to poke around the back yard she had, what I would consider, a normal bowel movement. @bbinder hope you'll find this comforting and a bit humorous... YAY! Firm poop!
A firm bowel movement is no joke! But I do feel comforted!

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter

What does Gypsy think of it? :duck:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
So my kid emails all worried about the recent news articles on Grain Free dog foods and larger breed heart disease ...
This came up today in my twitter feed from Mike Rogge. :(

Last week I was talking to a friend about her dog's health issues and how much the switch in dod food made a difference.
It made me double check the dog food we have Gypsy on and I'm confident that we've made the right choice in food based on advice from @Andy Mink @Drahtguy Kevin and @bbinder

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
This came up today in my twitter feed from Mike Rogge. :(

Last week I was talking to a friend about her dog's health issues and how much the switch in dod food made a difference.
It made me double check the dog food we have Gypsy on and I'm confident that we've made the right choice in food based on advice from @Andy Mink @Drahtguy Kevin and @bbinder

There's a lot of controversy around the data behind the grain free study. The numbers are pretty tiny. I gave a lot of thought to this and ended up sticking with the dog food they've been eating for years, which happens to be grain free. I posted some stuff about this somewhere, maybe even in this thread.

I only post this to prevent people from panicking as I did.

TS
pete

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I rotate my dogs food just to try and ensure if something is missing in one, it's covered in another. We supplement too with other things like eggs, meat, etc.

The suggested issue is lack of Taurine which is as I understand addressed by various manufacturers with supplements.

I tend to like variety simply to widen the number of ingredients my pooches see.

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
Did not know that pet food is such a nuanced and emotional topic. I was at Tyson Foods when the company launched FreshPet and the margins were huge. Looks like Eddie has a custom blend for Snotz......Purina mixed with Ol'Roy at what appears to be a 4-1 ratio.

1610549215704.png

TS
pete

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Did not know that pet food is such a nuanced and emotional topic. I was at Tyson Foods when the company launched FreshPet and the margins were huge. Looks like Eddie has a custom blend for Snotz......Purina mixed with Ol'Roy at what appears to be a 4-1 ratio.
what!

that's were there's lots of cash to be made ... many from scraps otherwise turned to fertilizer! I'm not casting stones, but if there's one area folks (including me) blow our cash on is on our pets. We're good at imparting human traits to them and dwell on the guilt of treating as they should be ... as reminded by the pet food commercials on TV.

I also know if I died at home, with no one around for days, my beloved pooches would likely feast on my dead body. I really wouldn't care, too bad for them knowing how I've treated my body.

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
@pete That's awesome and really funny. Literally laughed at loud at this and it made my afternoon!!!!!!

Hope you get to make some turns this weekend....Will be at Welch in the mornings.

wyowindrunner

Getting off the lift
Skier
Oh, hey, on a lighter note - have you guys seen this? There are 10 parts. They just get funnier as you go along.

That is funny!.. Had a long gone mutt half chessie half springer- a bird hunting machine-just kept food down for him all the time- purina hippro in the winter and regular purina in the summer. On Saturday morning hunts he got his egg mcmuffin and usually part of mine. He ran with me regularly also. If his bowl was empty he would pick it up and hunt you down and be quite vocal about it also. Would rip apart stumps to get the contents of mouse nests and was not above dragging in winter killed deer parts. Fresh cow crap? didn't know if he should eat it first or roll in it. Never had any dietary problems or weight gain. Have a couple of cockers now- kinda rescue dogs mother and daughter. Bad grass allergies-wheat, corn, 9-10 items on the allergy panel so they get the high dollar grain free stuff. But they are a little different than that Shepard in the video. When the fence around the raised strawberry beds comes down when they are about done the mom will jump up in the beds and pick off the stragglers. Green beans? both the little thieves will graze on them in the garden- or just lay down where they can grab them when the urge hits. No rush. They are completely worthless but lots of fun.

Sponsor

Staff online