• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dolomite Rage Boot Information

Denny Love

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hope everyone is doing well!!

I was hoping to get some information on a pair of boots I have here. They are the Dolomite Rage X10. Been searching the internet for some information, but it looks like Dolomite is no longer in the ski boot business, so answers have been hard to come by.

Does anyone happen to know anything about these boots? Considered good quality at the time they were built? High Volume / Low Volume? Flex Profile? More high performance biased or cruising biased (or something in between)?

Im trying to decide if I want to roll with them for another few years, or if it’s time to upgrade. If it is time for an upgrade, any information will be very useful as a frame of reference for my next fitting. I want to say I got them around 2007 or so. Fitted by Screaming Doggies in Telluride. Probably have 85-100 days on them (rented boots for a few years in which it was impractical to travel with them), but they seem to be in great shape other than their age.

Any info would be very much appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Hope everyone is doing well!!

I was hoping to get some information on a pair of boots I have here. They are the Dolomite Rage X10. Been searching the internet for some information, but it looks like Dolomite is no longer in the ski boot business, so answers have been hard to come by.

Does anyone happen to know anything about these boots? Considered good quality at the time they were built? High Volume / Low Volume? Flex Profile? More high performance biased or cruising biased (or something in between)?

Im trying to decide if I want to roll with them for another few years, or if it’s time to upgrade. If it is time for an upgrade, any information will be very useful as a frame of reference for my next fitting. I want to say I got them around 2007 or so. Fitted by Screaming Doggies in Telluride. Probably have 85-100 days on them (rented boots for a few years in which it was impractical to travel with them), but they seem to be in great shape other than their age.

Any info would be very much appreciated! Thanks in advance.
Could you put up some photos of the boots? I use to work at a shop that was a Dolomite dealer, but that was much earlier that 2007. I owned Dolomite boot for a while and I did like the brand.
PS. Check out the thread in the heritage section "All Things Dolomite"

TS
Denny Love

Denny Love

Skier

Attachments

• 6EEF3682-3417-4B82-BCB7-45C5EB42D8ED.jpeg
    6EEF3682-3417-4B82-BCB7-45C5EB42D8ED.jpeg
    156 KB · Views: 36
  • BDB9AEE5-7728-4CDE-AE0A-E9E2962B1426.jpeg
    BDB9AEE5-7728-4CDE-AE0A-E9E2962B1426.jpeg
    155 KB · Views: 29
  • BEDA63C1-81AD-4472-9F35-93EF73CF21E6.jpeg
    BEDA63C1-81AD-4472-9F35-93EF73CF21E6.jpeg
    135 KB · Views: 26
  • AFADD8F0-D919-41AE-B36B-F2C58F634136.jpeg
    AFADD8F0-D919-41AE-B36B-F2C58F634136.jpeg
    112.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 738DA49D-F3F3-4A35-9FAB-921C6943AD16.jpeg
    738DA49D-F3F3-4A35-9FAB-921C6943AD16.jpeg
    192.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 7172C846-D7BC-4AEC-AF1C-136480195E34.jpeg
    7172C846-D7BC-4AEC-AF1C-136480195E34.jpeg
    181.1 KB · Views: 27
  • F9EF7313-4169-4C69-82BA-FCE03DC86D11.jpeg
    F9EF7313-4169-4C69-82BA-FCE03DC86D11.jpeg
    159.8 KB · Views: 34

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
High volume. Third from from top tier (Rage X12 and Rage Xpro were higher). The XPro was marketed as 'freeride', the X10 was cruiserish.

Several features of the XPro were funky-cool in a novelty way, don't remember which of those the X10 also had. I see from your pics that you have the double-tongue liner and the sliding boot buckles, but not the carbon fiber rods at the sole.

The downsides are that they only have a partial boot board, making gas pedaling inside the boot tricky and making the boot a bit cold since the forefoot is partially resting on thin exterior plastic. Also, the front seals get frayed and damaged, the overlap seal is nonexistent, and the boot plastic gets *stiffer* as the boots age.

About replacement: those had a fair bit of forward tilt at the cuff. It will take you a while to get used to a more upright boot. Otherwise, there are gobs of modern boots that will fit as well as or better than those did. Especially now that we have mouldable shells.

Last edited:

Uncle-A

Skier
@Uncle-A thanks! Here you go:
That don't look like they have 85 - 100 days on them. Although I don't see the bottom of the boots if they have a lot of wear on them. The wear at the toe and heel interface with the binding is a factor. As far as volume goes pull the foot bed and measure the widest part in MM's a low volume width might be 95 - 97 MM a high volume might be 100 - 102MM but that is only for width and volume is also the hight over the instep and that is more about feel of the boot over the second buckle from the toe. Some high volume boots also have a fuller heel cup and those measurements are more difficult to judge and I don't have any numbers on that, sorry.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
As far as volume goes pull the foot bed and measure the widest part in MM's a low volume width might be 95 - 97 MM a high volume might be 100 - 102MM but that is only for width and volume is also the hight over the instep

The thing about Dolomite during those years is that even the low-medium volume line (called ProZ) had a fairly high instep.

Uncle-A

Skier
The thing about Dolomite during those years is that even the low-medium volume line (called ProZ) had a fairly high instep.
The combination of the width and the instep are going to determine the volume.

TS
Denny Love

Denny Love

Skier
Thanks so much @cantunamunch!! That’s great info. I figured they were about midrange in terms of performance and all that. I ski somewhat aggressively, but only weighed 150ish at the time I bought them. That’s interesting about the boot board as my feet do tend to get cold in these boots. I try to ignore it as best I can.

@Uncle-A thanks again! Yea the bottoms are somewhat worn down around the back of the heel especially. Not terrible, but definitely some wear. I’ll measure them now just to see volume numbers.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Thanks so much @cantunamunch!! That’s great info. I figured they were about midrange in terms of performance and all that. I ski somewhat aggressively, but only weighed 150ish at the time I bought them. That’s interesting about the boot board as my feet do tend to get cold in these boots. I try to ignore it as best I can.

Yeh, as @Philpug knows I skied three Rage and two ProZ shells into the ground - they all wound up with various levels of hacking, including soft Alu boot dams, cork sheets on the bootboard, Booster straps under the plastic triangle, and Intuition liners. And- ahem- lots and lots of heat gun and grinder work on the spine. Seeing yours is like seeing a museum piece. :thumb:

Last edited:
TS
Denny Love

Denny Love

Skier
I believe that my foot measures high volume for the size (I.e. ~ 1 cm more measured from heel, across area where foot meets bone, down to other side of heel than it measures in length), so that would make sense for the boot fitter to put me in them. I can’t honestly recall what he said about the boots at the time, I just went with the recommendation ha!

Would it, in yalls opinion, be worth going for a new liner and staying with the shells? Or just pony up for a whole new boot? As far as fit, they are comfortable enough. Bit of heel slippage when I really try to move my feet, but nothing terrible.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Would it, in yalls opinion, be worth going for a new liner and staying with the shells? Or just pony up for a whole new boot? As far as fit, they are comfortable enough. Bit of heel slippage when I really try to move my feet, but nothing terrible.

Your location is listed as Atlanta. Do you do short jaunt trips or week trips? If week+ trips to locales with high density of bootfitters, I would replace them.

If you mostly do short-jaunt 2-3 day trips to small or remote mountains, then it might make sense to get an Intuition liner and a Booster strap - and footbeds, you have them in there, yes?

TS
Denny Love

Denny Love

Skier
I go out west usually for 8-10 days per year, maybe 2 weeks total if I’m lucky. Usually a week+ at a time. Then, I’ll try to get a day here and there in the NE when I’m visiting my girlfriend’s family.

There are some custom zip fit foot beds in the liners now as well as an extra piece of unmarked paper board in the same shape underneath to fill extra volume I assume. They’ve been there since Ibought the boots.

Uncle-A

Skier
If you have wear at the binding contract points you should replace the boot. Some of the boots have replacement parts for the sole at the toe and the heel but if you don't get them when the boot is young, you might as well forget about getting them, especially for an old boot and since Dolomite is no longer you might as well forget about it.

TS
Denny Love

Denny Love

Skier
Would you say the wear below is worrisome as far as the heel goes?

Attachments

• 68D1992C-3E88-4169-B9A7-D4947B34A307.jpeg
    68D1992C-3E88-4169-B9A7-D4947B34A307.jpeg
    92.3 KB · Views: 36

Uncle-A

Skier
It may come down to the fact that it is not one major thing that will cause you to replace them but the combination of several small things that add up to that you need to get new boots. That is a decision only you can make, all we can do is point out the several small points that add up to you coming to a good conclusion.

TS
Denny Love

Denny Love

Skier
Got it, that makes perfect sense! They seem adequate at best for now, but that may be because I don’t know what I’m missing. I’ll probably start looking around in the off-season. Thanks again!

TS
Denny Love

Denny Love

Skier
@cantunamunch actually, I’m just noticing some frayed black fabric spilling out of the end of the toe overlap. I guess that will be the front seal?