• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Don’t Fear the Plug

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
But isn't it also identifying that there are going to be a strictly limited number of bootfitters willing and able to invest that time in getting punters into plugs? Starthaus sure are a known race shop but plugs probably aren't for everyone also because of availability.

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
But isn't it also identifying that there are going to be a strictly limited number of bootfitters willing and able to invest that time in getting punters into plugs? Starthaus sure are a known race shop but plugs probably aren't for everyone also because of availability.
dunno. you'll have to ask bootfitters. Maybe they'll chime in.

I think the real problem is that there's a very limited number of *good bootfitters*. I'm not sure there's a *good* bootfitter who would be unwilling to work on a race boot, even for a non-racer, if it's (1) what the client wants and (2) a reasonable option given the boot and foot in question, but I could very well be wrong.

James

Out There
Instructor
…getting punters into plugs…
Now there’s a slogan.

Never going to happen, nor should it.
This is just like people talking about loving their 0.5/4 tunes on carving skis. Never been better, all their skis are that, blah, blah, blah. Doesn’t mean it’s appropriate for everyone.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
trouble with a good boot is that everything else just sucks and once you get something good, your always chaseing that.

anyone on a 0.5/4 for their daily needs more snow where they ski

Moose32

Attacking the Fall Line
Skier
I will say this, the plug boot's biggest enemy is COVID.
If you can put your boots on in the parking lot, the boot is too big or it is not a "plug" boot. ogsmile
Picked up a couple pairs of these recently (below, Redster 170's), but won't try to put them on in the Wilmot/WMR parking lot.
1641858664794.png

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
I will say this, the plug boot's biggest enemy is COVID.
If you can put your boots on in the parking lot, the boot is too big or it is not a "plug" boot. ogsmile
Picked up a couple pairs of these recently (below, Redster 170's), but won't try to put them on in the Wilmot/WMR parking lot.
View attachment 154686
does your car not have heat?

I've seen world cuppers put their boots on by a ski rack at the bottom of the lift in ~10F weather. If they can do it, so can you.

That said, why would you want to?

In COVID times, you gotta suck it up. Putting the boot on isn't nearly the problem that taking it off in the parking lot is.

Moose32

Attacking the Fall Line
Skier
does your car not have heat?

I've seen world cuppers put their boots on by a ski rack at the bottom of the lift in ~10F weather. If they can do it, so can you.

That said, why would you want to?

In COVID times, you gotta suck it up. Putting the boot on isn't nearly the problem that taking it off in the parking lot is.
I seem to struggle with both the "on" (execution) and the "off" (pain) in my car. I manage, but it is super painful. ACL brace doesn't help.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
I typically wear size 10.5/44 shoes. As mentioned in another thread a while back, I have an extremely wide forefoot (quad E / 116mm across at widest point) with a high arch and relatively narrow heel. Unfortunately, I have had a bone graft to my right calcaneus, as well as arthroscopic surgery on my left ankle--resulting in some post-surgical paresthesia and vascular changes (almost like a mild Raynaud’s). My left foot is also a half size length smaller than my right. Without a doubt, it is hard to fit my feet into performance boots.

Since the dawn of the new Millenium, I have been using 98mm last/27.5 boots, typically in a 110-120 flex for recreational All-Mountain skiing.

After dipping my toes back into Masters racing a couple of years ago, I found myself needing a much more capable and effective boot to control modern Masters level racing skis. Reed, a superb boot-guru at Start Haus in Truckee, suggested a 98mm last/27.5 Nordica Doberman GP 140, as he felt it was the best option for my feet and current skiing level. After nearly 4 hours of fitting, cuff alignment, and canting, Reed was proven correct and I’ve skied those GP140’s the past two seasons.

Recently, Reed suggested I might want to now consider the 93mm last Nordica Doberman WC 150. So this Fall, I bit the bullet, despite some skepticism over the concept, and got the WC 150 “plug” (yes—an inaccurate colloquial term, but one that gets the point across) in a 27 shell. Reed spent over 5 hours carefully adapting and fitting the boots around my crazy wide, high arch feet. He also needed to trim a pair of my custom foot beds to fit the new boot.

The result is the most comfortable, responsive ski boot I have ever used, bar none. Just amazing for both racing in gates and free skiing all day on resort runs.
Hmmmm. Very interesting.
As a fellow paddle-foot, that sounds great!

James

Out There
Instructor
Need to heat the car up and sit in it warming the boots up at the end of the day. Or get a heated bag, plug it in and put your feet/boots in.

The Fischer was at times the worst for getting off. It had a spoiler with two screws attaching it at the top. So what could happen is getting out you flex the top of the spoiler, the bottom kicks out, and it’s thin and sharp and digs into the liner near the heel. Now you’re freakin stuck. Can’t go in or out. You have to get your foot out of the liner while it’s stick there.

I taped the bottom after that but at some point the tape ripped and it happened again. I was going to put an extra pair of screws/nuts in but moved on before.

SlapChop

Putting on skis
Skier
They don’t come in half sizes. Maybe they made a special mold for Hirscher, no idea. (Well he did ski at least for a time in a red plastic Dobie) Short of that level, no.

No, it’s included.
Now if you get it somewhere else, then bring it that’s different. It is something to consider when buying an older plug from say SkiYard for $250.

The HeadB3’s are heavy as hell. You notice when carrying them to the area or in the airport/travel.
The Lange Zc’s were thick as hell, probably even heavier. Maybe I’ll weigh them to compare. That came with a very thin flat piece to take up the half size. Maybe 3/32 in. I think the cuff is 26, or else that was an older one I’m thinking of. So they don’t even make a cuff for each shell size.

Anyone interested in a Lange 27/27.5 shell zc let me know, probably going to let it go.
I am actually interested. I have zc’s, but 25.5. Assuming the cuff’s are similar that is what I really need. Mine have just started to crack on the right boot, and instead of getting new clogs fitted (mine are presently perfect) I’ve been looking at a simpler cheaper option.

Triplet

Chasing the perfect fit, ENTP :)
Skier
I am actually interested. I have zc’s, but 25.5. Assuming the cuff’s are similar that is what I really need. Mine have just started to crack on the right boot, and instead of getting new clogs fitted (mine are presently perfect) I’ve been looking at a simpler cheaper option.
The cuff on the 27.5 is the next size up cuff. Probably it will fit, but it will be bigger for sure. Sizes 24 through 25.5 share one cuff, sizes 26 through 27.5 share the same cuff size.

James

Out There
Instructor
The 26 and 27 use the same cuff, at least on this year-
FADACB8F-04CF-49AA-9979-EA2B3537268F.jpeg

Inside of cuff, shows 26/27.

SlapChop

Putting on skis
Skier

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 39
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 38
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 35
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 33

James

Out There
Instructor
It would appear the 25 also shares that cuff according to my boots, and you can see they are a 25 by the sole.
Interesting. Well if you’re interested in the shells let me know. I think I still have the longer or shorter cuff bales that came with them. Can’t remember which ones I used.
Say $65 shipped in US.

TS
DocGKR

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
I continue to be amazed at how comfortable, warm, and responsive these Nordica Doberman WC 150's are. Going back the the Nordica GP140's feels like putting on sloppy bedroom slippers. I plan on getting a second pair of the WC 150's as backups...

Triplet

Chasing the perfect fit, ENTP :)
Skier
By the way I couldn't even get my foot in the shell with no sock before the work was done.
Both length and width wise? Or...

Actually how much of a length can be gained if one downsize for a closer fit around the heel and ankle?

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
World is a crazy place right now and Nordica/Technica WC 150's are apparently unobtanium...
I ... just got a pair. Sitting at my bootfitters waiting for us to find a day/time that work for both of us (and for me to buy a plane ticket)

Sponsor

Staff online