• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Don't Try This. Common Gear Handing Mistakes

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Things that might seem like a good idea that end badly:

Don't try to pull your boots on by the tongue. You'll tear the tongue off the liner. Instead use the loops on the back or sides of the liner or the sides of the liner if there are no loops.

When carrying your skis, be careful not to cut your gloves or jacket on the edges of the skis. Rest them on your shoulder on the flat topsheet side instead of the edges side.

Transport boots inside the vehicle, even when you have a ski rack/box for the skis and boards..

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Always dry your boots, gloves and anything else that needs it at the end of the day. Keep your gloves/mittens clipped together when not in use(much easier to lose a single than a pair). Put your goggles in your helmet when you take them off. Make sure all your pockets are zipped.
ETA: DO NOT dry your gear by putting close to an electric baseboard or space heater. I melted the tongue on a Zipfit that way once. :nono:

Last edited:

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Do a pre/post gear check before rolling. Don't be this guy.
Screenshot_20220104-194855_Samsung Internet.jpg

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
I've seen that quite a few times and have even tried to stop someone heading out of the lot like that but they didn't see my flailing arms and pointing. I don't think I'd be following as close as the person behind them is.
Makes you wonder, pay attention to what the hell your doing.

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
Keep your gloves/mittens clipped together when not in use(much easier to lose a single than a pair).
I think I learned this in kindergarten or 1st grade as a general life lesson. Not specifically clipping, but always connected somehow.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have to admit that I can’t resist driving my car on a snowmobile track now and then. I have never been stuck.

Mel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Have a checklist of what you need for a ski day, per person, especially if you have a long drive to ski. Actually write things like “pants”, “coat”, “skis” on it! Otherwise, you will wind up with an expensive and large collection of neck tubes, masks, mitts, and even pants that you have bought at the ski hill. Ask me how I know…

Rostapher

All Praise Ullr
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Have a checklist of what you need for a ski day, per person, especially if you have a long drive to ski. Actually write things like “pants”, “coat”, “skis” on it! Otherwise, you will wind up with an expensive and large collection of neck tubes, masks, mitts, and even pants that you have bought at the ski hill. Ask me how I know…
+1 @Mel - I have a ski trip check list on my phone & tablet (Google Keep is great, BTW) and check it off every time, whether it’s to the local hill or long distance. I don’t need everything on it every time, but it helps me remember those “sometimes” things. Particularly based on expected weather. *see below*

Rain Pants - many wet, rainy, slushy days have been significantly improved/tolerated by wearing rain pants over my regular, not really waterproof, ski pants

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
When car is in park idling (with or without defrosters and heat on) and you are scraping ice off of the rear windshield while still in ski pants, never stand directly behind the exhaust pipe!
Lesson learned the hard way

:facepalm:

Sponsor

Staff online