• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Don't Try This. Common Gear Handing Mistakes

Delicious

Glass Cranks
Skier
Do a pre/post gear check before rolling. Don't be this guy.
View attachment 154470
I'm in the Seattle region, and see this all the time. I'm usually even MORE impressed by the driver who's willingly TAILGATING the vehicle with the open box/rack. And, of course, this is typically happening at 70+ mph as these are also the fastest("Best") snow drivers.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
Don’t transport skis in an open rack exposing them and the bindings to chemicals, gravel and salt. If you must, tails go forward.
If you keep gear inside a wagon or suv, put a rubber bungee over them to minimize projectiles in the event of a crash.
Don’t turn your heated boot bag up to the high setting. That’s too warm.
There is a correct way to carry skis in a crowded space (vertical by the toe piece) and in an uncrowded space (on the shoulder, tips forward, toe piece BEHIND the shoulder), learn both ways.
Protect boot soles (especially iso5355) with cat-tracks or similar.
Don’t dry or clean goggles with paper towels, they will scratch. Also, don’t use the fog and wipe technique. And keep them in the bag they came with when not in use away from heat sources that will kill the lense seal.
Don’t attach a GoPro mount or other item to your helmet. These things can reduce your helmet’s effectiveness in a crash by concentrating the force to a small spot. And buckle the chin strap.
Dont wash membrane jackets unless absolutely necessary (speeds delamination) and then use tech wash. Hang jackets with the loop when on coat hooks.
Use ski straps.
Know the correct way to put your hands into pole straps of you have them.
Ski pants go outside of the boots.
Wipe skis dry with a towel before putting away.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Have a checklist of what you need for a ski day, per person, especially if you have a long drive to ski. Actually write things like “pants”, “coat”, “skis” on it! Otherwise, you will wind up with an expensive and large collection of neck tubes, masks, mitts, and even pants that you have bought at the ski hill. Ask me how I know…

I'm an obsessive list-maker. I have gear checklists ready to print out for just about every activity that requires a gear collection, skiing, bicycling, hiking, etc.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Don't leave your boots or gloves in the car overnight.

Learned this lesson on my very first ski trip. Company ski club bus trip to Purgatory. I left my boots on the bus the first night. Damn those things were hard to put on the next morning!!

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
I'm an obsessive list-maker. I have gear checklists ready to print out for just about every activity that requires a gear collection, skiing, bicycling, hiking, etc.
I'm so not a list maker!

Instead, all my gear are in one big bag. No list, just hunt in the bag. "I know it's in there somewhere"! :)

Did I say I love bags with lots of compartments? ;)

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Learned this lesson on my very first ski trip. Company ski club bus trip to Purgatory. I left my boots on the bus the first night. Damn those things were hard to put on the next morning!!

You leave your boots in the car, you are screwed. Royally.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
And then empty that bag once you get inside and set everything out to dry
Gotta say. I've never ever done that. I just remove what I know need to be cleaned otherwise it probably won't make it back in for next trip.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
(on the shoulder, tips forward, toe piece BEHIND the shoulder)
I prefer tips back, shoulder in the middle of the bindings. Much easier to pick up and set down IMO. But I know for balance and ease of carrying that doesn't work for everyone.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
And then empty that bag once you get inside and set everything out to dry
I do that first thing. Next day, everything goes right back into the bag.

For plane travel, I always carry on a boot bag with my boots and everything I need for a day of skiing. I had one trip to Vail that my bags were delayed a day (bad weather ). Skied in jeans the first day...lesson learned

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
I prefer tips back, shoulder in the middle of the bindings. Much easier to pick up and set down IMO. But I know for balance and ease of carrying that doesn't work for everyone.
I do both. Short walk (from lodge to lift), tips up. Long walk (to car), tips down.

Sometimes I got it wrong. Carrying tips up and walk for a while. Then my arm got tired from having to carry the wright of the ski instead of it balancing stable on the shoulder. Depends on how much further I still had to walk, I may stop and flip it to the right way.

Oh yeah, if I had to walk so far that my arms gets tired carrying skis? I put on cat tracks to protect my boot soles.

Last edited:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
If I'm carrying skis on my shoulder and suddenly it gets crowded I pull down on the tips to get the tails as vertical as possible until I can find a spot to safely offload them. No swinging the length of the ski in a crowd.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier

Should this be moved to the "gaper" thread? ;)

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Take your goggles with you when shopping helmets. Or alternatively, take your helmet with you when shopping goggles. The fit of one can change the fit of the other. You might find you have to replace both to get the goggle/helmet you want.

Sponsor

Staff online