• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Don't Try This. Common Gear Handing Mistakes

James

Out There
Instructor
Mine have a fairly rough seam and don't align with any spare space in the boot.
Sounds like poorly made base layer.

In a “new to skiing” section, I don’t see this as a must but a maybe. If there’s wrinkles and the base layer hurts, fold it up. Assuming you can and it’s not too tight when folded.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier

In a “new to skiing” section, I don’t see this as a must but a maybe. If there’s wrinkles and the base layer hurts, fold it up. Assuming you can and it’s not too tight when folded.
Yep, it was cheap. I fold them up and it's all good.

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
And also if the seams were fairly smooth in the first place, wearing the baselayer inside out could make them even less noticeable.

My boy does this with glove liners. I have some superb XC ski racing gloves (by Sinisalo) that are made this way.

MikeW Philly

Getting off the lift
Skier
I continue to marvel at people wanting 3/4 length long johns. Why is folding them up a "new to skiing" thing? I've been doing it for longer than I can count. The socks stick up above the boot cuff and I neatly fold up the bottoms of the johns until they get above the boot but not the socks. No gaps ever and they're completely comfortable. Of course you don't bunch them up, but make a one layer fold. On me it comes up almost to the knees and I get a benefit of double insulation.

I could fold them up of course and would if I have to but since I only wear them when I ski 3/4 is all I want. I can get them fine online. I just don’t get why ski shops sell full length. Never a need for that when skiing.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
My base layers are all multi purpose. I use the same cheapies from Costco for work, skiing, snow shoveling, etc. I fold them up over my ski boots. no biggie.
My long johns are custom fitted with intuition lace ups above the calf. Took me several weeks to get it all sorted out but well worth the time and expense :roflmao: Should have saved that one for April 1st..

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I continue to marvel at people wanting 3/4 length long johns. Why is folding them up a "new to skiing" thing? I've been doing it for longer than I can count. The socks stick up above the boot cuff and I neatly fold up the bottoms of the johns until they get above the boot but not the socks. No gaps ever and they're completely comfortable. Of course you don't bunch them up, but make a one layer fold. On me it comes up almost to the knees and I get a benefit of double insulation.
It's advice to people new to skiing who may not think of doing that the first time they ever put on ski boots.. All of this stuff is things we all figured out eventually and keep doing. But, for the first time(s) out a few suggestions to make that first ski trip more enjoyable and less frustrating/expensive.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Base layers? I go Commando. :huh:
I've done lounge pants a few times.. Works well. especially if you're staying slopeside.. Just come in the door, kick off your boots, drop your ski pants, and step in to your fuzzy slippers WINNING!

Chipped K2

Booting up
Skier
I once cut my thumb by letting my skis fall into it when getting a locker open.

I did a lot of hockey stops and sliding around backwards in lessons and my edges were like razors.....

Like some others here, once left my ski boots in the car trunk and had to teach the next day. THAT WAS NOT GOOD.

Once ran out of windshield washer fluid while on the drive to a resort. Big snowstorm. On the plus side everyone waited for me since my car had everyone's skis and boards.

M6chan

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Don't slap you skis together to get rid of the snow while on the chairlift. I learned the hard way. I started seeing my top sheets cut but didn't know how. I later found out it was because of the slapping on the lift.

M6chan

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Make sure people are securing their skis on a bus. I was taking the UTA bus to Park City in 2020 and someone had their skis leaning their tips to the window and tails on the ground unattended. The skis eventually fell down and cut someone's hand.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Make sure you know where the buckle to your Booster strap is before you kick your boot down to seat your heel.
homer-simpson-doh.gif

slow-line-fast

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Don't slap you skis together to get rid of the snow while on the chairlift. I learned the hard way. I started seeing my top sheets cut but didn't know how. I later found out it was because of the slapping on the lift.
This can also cause the ski to release and drop down on whatever/whoever below. Another reason not to stop directly under a lift.

Shawn

Beep beep
Skier
Base layers? I go Commando. :huh:
I used to do something like this when I instructed over 20 years ago on weeknights. We only had to show up for one lineup if we taught that night and I lived a few mins away. So I would throw on my ski pants and jacket over whatever I had on (tshirt, shorts), go teach a lesson, and come home. Comfy enough.

Ivan

Out on the slopes
Skier
Do a pre/post gear check before rolling. Don't be this guy.
View attachment 154470
Well, probably this thread would be the right place to post this...

I was driving with my son back from Killington to Binghamton earlier today. Somewhere around Oneonta, NY, there was a lane closure, and there was a pretty long line of cars behind a slower moving truck. The car in front of us had a huge rooftop cargo box (don't know if it was for skis or something else), and at some point this box started moving side to side about 10 or 15 inches (I believe only one of the two attachments, probably the rear one). It was very windy, so presumably the screws holding it weren't tight enough and came undone because of the wind.

Anyway, I started flashing my headlights, honking, turning on my right turn signal, and doing everything I could think of to indicate to the car ahead that it should stop ASAP (I couldn't overtake it because the second lane was closed). Fortunately, partly because everyone was driving slowly, the driver eventually figured out that I wanted him to stop. I got out of the car and told him about the problem, he thanked me.

Sponsor

Staff online