• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Don't Try This. Common Gear Handing Mistakes

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
Base layers should be above the boot, the only thing you want in the boot is your foot and a sock.
I use 3/4 long "long johns" for that reason. Never liked multi layers in the boots, be it full footed long johns or calves lenght ones. Last time I got a calf long model and decided to give it a try, did regret it greatly. The "burns" I got due to friction were very painful and lasted days (syntethic long johns in tight race plug boots...)

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Do NOT use your ski gloves, neck gator, socks, etc to go out and shovel the driveway when you're not going skiing. Nothing worse than getting to the resort and those gloves are NOT in your gear bag... Gloves at the ski hill are highway robbery prices!

f you decide you ARE a "skier" it's time to get dedicated ski gear, gloves, socks, neck gator, helmet, goggles all to be kept in a dedicated boot bag. If you're still renting your skis and boots, boots would be the next purchase..

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Do NOT use your ski gloves, neck gator, socks, etc to go out and shovel the driveway when you're not going skiing. Nothing worse than getting to the resort and those gloves are NOT in your gear bag... Gloves at the ski hill are highway robbery prices!

f you decide you ARE a "skier" it's time to get dedicated ski gear, gloves, socks, neck gator, helmet, goggles all to be kept in a dedicated boot bag. If you're still renting your skis and boots, boots would be the next purchase..
I agree for he most part but my "spring" skiing gloves are usually my go to shoveling gloves, usually because I can find them faster than the gloves I actually bought for shoveling. :roflmao:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I agree for he most part but my "spring" skiing gloves are usually my go to shoveling gloves, usually because I can find them faster than the gloves I actually bought for shoveling. :roflmao:
The shovel gloves are in the truck. In the garage. In the shed. In the everywhere except where you are!

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Don't buy everything in black. When you're digging in your gear bag for glove liners or that balaclava you really like, and everything is black...sure is hard to find what you need.

Don't walk on pavement with bare ski boot soles. Use Cat Tracks or a similar product. My unproven theory is that abraded boot soles get more snow stuck to them. By the way, Pam frying pan spray is a great organic, biodegradable release agent to keep snow from sticking to boot soles.

Remember this camp song?
Do Your Ears Hang Low?
Do They Wobble to and Fro?
Can You Tie Them in a Knot?
Can You Tie Them in a Bow?
Can You Throw Them Over Your Shoulder Like a Continental Soldier?

Don't throw your skis over your shoulder. Carry them at your side or on your shoulder upward like a rifle.

MattSmith

Out on the slopes
Skier
Always, always, always have one of these when transporting your skis.
voile-straps-20-inch-aluminum-buckle-orange_400x400.jpg

wooglin

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Remember this camp song?
Do Your Ears Hang Low?
Do They Wobble to and Fro?
Can You Tie Them in a Knot?
Can You Tie Them in a Bow?
Can You Throw Them Over Your Shoulder Like a Continental Soldier?

Don't throw your skis over your shoulder. Carry them at your side or on your shoulder upward lik
Ears? Not how I remember it.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
A few more came to mind watching inexperienced folks the last few days.
Don’t click skis together on the lift.
Pick your skis up by the binding toe pieces, they are a lot easier to control when putting them together or pulling them apart.
Don’t wear a big bulky stocking cap under your helmet.
Keep your jacket zippered up, at least part way.
Dont step on your pole baskets in the lift line.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Have a checklist of what you need for a ski day, per person, especially if you have a long drive to ski. Actually write things like “pants”, “coat”, “skis” on it! Otherwise, you will wind up with an expensive and large collection of neck tubes, masks, mitts, and even pants that you have bought at the ski hill. Ask me how I know…
@Philpug
Don’t forget to pack your baselayers!

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Don’t stomp your feet while in the lift line with others (presumably to knock snow off them). You may stomp on the tips or tails of someone else’s ski.
Or the snow flies off the skis and gets someone who may not want to get got.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Two from the world according to Duh:

When snowing out upon arrival, having just successfully booted up at the car, now standing around putting yourself together and gathering gear. Don't leave the ski gloves dangling via wrist lanyards, (assuming your gloves have the option).
Also, put the storm hood up soon as the shell goes on when out of the car so no unwanted surprise in the lift line when you decide to put the storm hood up to help keep snow and frigid wind off your face on the ride up.

...somehow I never learn these two lessons, excitement of the snow day, airhead idiocy, whatever, IDK, LOL.

Bienski

Putting on skis
Skier
Two from the world according to Duh:

When snowing out upon arrival, having just successfully booted up at the car, now standing around putting yourself together and gathering gear. Don't leave the ski gloves dangling via wrist lanyards, (assuming your gloves have the option).
Also, put the storm hood up soon as the shell goes on when out of the car so no unwanted surprise in the lift line when you decide to put the storm hood up to help keep snow and frigid wind off your face on the ride up.

...somehow I never learn these two lessons, excitement of the snow day, airhead idiocy, whatever, IDK, LOL.
It took me forever to figure out what the loop at the end of the middle finger on climbing/skiing gloves were for!

crosscountry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Don't buy everything in black. When you're digging in your gear bag for glove liners or that balaclava you really like, and everything is black...sure is hard to find what you need.
That's a good one! Thanks. Wish I had thought of it. (fortunately, not all my stuff are black, but enough of them are black to experienced that difficulty)

Sponsor

Staff online