• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dope Snow clothing question

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I think that's a really good analysis. Question is does it really cut through with consumers or are they used to fast fashion through the likes of Zara, H&M, Asos (whatever US equivalents are) and are strongly attracted to the look at the price? Montec camo looks more $ at a distance than it probably is.

Hadn't really noticed the brands before last winter (probably some Dope Snow stuff) but notably Montec was everywhere on the mountain in Whistler last year and again a recent trip to Austria (various resorts around Innsbruck) saw plenty of both brands on teen to 30ish.

Jackets seem to retail around 229 Euro/$ so its clever positioning as a serious brand above the volume brands like Dare2be etc but obviously nowhere near the tag for Norrona or Burton AK etc.

Last edited:

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Both are all over Tremblant this winter. But we do have a lot of Americans this year. And a younger crowd. So the price point and design is all theirs. Maybe they only want them for a year or 2.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Been wondering where the brand appeared from. Seems like everyone younger than me (cries in I'm only 35 years old) at my local area is wearing these. I giggle a bit when I see multiple people in the exact same kit, they probably thought they were unique when they bought it.

Lilledonmarco

Booting up
Skier
Both Dope/Montec are everywhere in Norway and Switzerland at the moment. I actually bought one for my son (16). He loves it. For the price point, it is a good buy. Especially considering that a Norrøna goretex jacket now is retailing at 800 USD. Same for Hagløfs. Whilst they ARE excellent jackets, they are getting very spendy.

Clever marketing, and a decent price point on Dope/Montec seems to be working

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I little information about Montec/Dope. Creating their own fabrics.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
I think brands that go with the aggressive social media marketing that make a big bang quickly will then fade out just as fast. It's too trendy and short sighted for product longevity. I'm guessing they know that and are trying to get rich quickly and then get out.

It reminds me of roller blades, Von Dutch hats or those rubber bracelets Lance Armstrong made popular.

My gf's father bought my daughter a Dope hoodie fro Christmas. She loved it for a minute but never wore after she and her friends thought it was gaper gear for the Phoenix "Jerry's".

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
I just saw some girls from what I think was the Blue Mountain PA racing team in Dope Snow team jackets and they looked really good. Some sort of pale pastel pattern, which was so distinct from the solid blues and blacks and reds local ski teams have.

Rod MacDonald

Getting off the lift
Skier
One of our party rocked up in a nice montec jacket during a rather wet week in the portes du soleil in March.
Very poor quality waterproofing. Had to borrow a spare jacket.
Dope stuff - very meh in my old crumbly opinion.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've transitioned away from my previous humor, into a VERY conflicted stance on naming a product "Dope". I'm in healthcare and witnessing the advent and real time effects of Meth, Fentanyl, Xylazine/Tranq, etc.... Unless these guys are giving a portion of their profits to help fight or bring light too, what is currently a national crisis and tragedy, I recommend staying away from controversy and sticking w/ the Montec name. IMHO This company and the people wearing their clothing are potentially poking fun at a tragedy. Looking at their website breaks my heart.

I think there's a need for some cultural common sense. DOPE is just NOT FUN anymore. It once connoted fun times, getting high on weed, like many of us did and a certain joie de vivre....... not any more :nono:

This is the REAL and current face of "Dope".... just trying to help educate these guys as no company should want any part of this;

Last edited:

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I hear what you are saying but "dope" has a number of meanings ranging from the more formal noun for a foolish person to slang uses as a superlative or as information/ intelligence. So references to drugs are only part of the meaning.

Additionally it isn't a US brand and while chronic drug misuse isn't exclusively a US problem by any means, the US does appear to have been particularly negligent in relation to over/ misprescribing. So maybe it just isn't as sensitive to the brand owners.

All that said they are probably very happy with the name due to the risqué drug association helping them hit a target market of middle class teens and 20somethings.

Plus y'know skiing/ boarding has a fair amount of association with weed/coke at least.

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
Not to mention the drug sold at resorts, alcohol.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Interestingly I am seeing Montec everywhere I ski, but only a handful of Dope Snow
Also, an interesting observation, I've been seeing more and more viral stuff with Montec and Dope Snow. Enough so that this video showed up in my feed.

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
I bought a 3L Montec jacket last year. . I wore it one cold windy day at Alta and sold it . bled wind like crazy.